Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0610/455807-leaving-cert-mistake/

there going to mark the question based on your attempt. shower of bastards

Yeah, how dare they mark us on our ability to try a question, that's not what the leaving cert is about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

First that is the fairest solution and second, where are you getting that from its not in the link posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

Chikablam wrote: »
    Yeah, how dare they mark us on our ability to try a question, that's not what the leaving cert is about!

my point is that our attempts made absolutely no sense regardless of our answer! so most people just gave up and moved on and are now being punished for it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

Thats not a great solution. Many people may have noticed a problem and left it entirely or skipped the next parts. Could really damage some results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

my point is that our attempts made absolutely no sense regardless of our answer! so most people just gave up and moved on and are now being punished for it

My attempt made perfect sense, even if the triangle couldn't exist. Followed a logical step-by-step sequence. Granted, I didn't notice the mistake, but still

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Thats not a great solution. Many people may have noticed a problem and left it entirely or skipped the next parts. Could really damage some results.

Your not going to notice until you check your answer, and if you don't skip stuff because you didn't get a, you make up an answer and continue. If people did that then that's their own fault.

thats my point i struggld through every part of it and knew it made no sense and didnt have enough time for 9(c) and now i will suffer for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thats not a great solution.
    I don't know where this "solution" is being sourced from but I'm very dubious that any decision has been made or indeed will be until the marking conference. ;)

"The SEC said that when papers are corrected the error will be taken into account to ensure that no candidates are disadvantaged."

... is not the same thing at all! And posting the same link twice won't make it so! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

If the case is that you only get awarded if you attempt the question will I get full marks since I "done" part A "fully" and drew labelled triangles for part B as I hadn't a bulls notion what was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

I don't know where this "solution" is being sourced from but I'm very dubious that any decision has been made or indeed will be until the marking conference. ;)
    True. Nothing in the quote your man threw up to suggest anything either

• Advertisement

"The SEC said that when papers are corrected the error will be taken into account to ensure that no candidates are disadvantaged."

... is not the same thing at all! And posting the same link twice won't make it so! :D

didnt mean to link it twice sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

They should give us the backup Paper 2 on saturday.

:pac:

Prodigious wrote: »
    Brave, for a man whose face is now known!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Prodigious is on rte news now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Randy can I speak to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Oh God no that would be awful. They had their chance and they blew it. I hope someone gets fired for it

Randy can I speak to him?
    If you're not just "prod"ding for a reaction! :p

The two of you have managed one civil, even light-hearted, exchange tonight, and got away with it on those grounds! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Just after seeing the news there. You didn't happen to do maths Olympiad lectures in maynooth last year Prodigious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I did the olympiad as it happens didnt make the team though

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

they included the important bit. you pointed out that the time used in solving the insolvable question resulted in not being able to answer the following question. that means that the SEC will have to give very lenient marking to Q9! Well done man. you helped us all out

But not everyone does the paper from question one to question 9, in order.

• Advertisement

But not everyone does the paper from question one to question 9, in order.
    Look, not being smart, but would everyone stop trying to double-guess the examiners?

The Asst. Chief will no doubt put forward a proposal at the marking conference, based on precedent, and it will be discussed in depth by all the examiners ... these are all or at least almost all practising teachers who are as anxious for a good and fair solution as you are.

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Doubt it would make front page. The majority of the country dont care about the LC

There was a 3.5 minute report on RTE.

Raeral wrote: »
    Just after seeing the news there. You didn't happen to do maths Olympiad lectures in maynooth last year Prodigious?

I actually did :D Did I talk to you? :)

If you're not just "prod"ding for a reaction! :p

The two of you have managed one civil, even light-hearted, exchange tonight, and got away with it on those grounds! :p

Punderful stuff Randy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Can we just take a moment to stop whinging and realise that said mistake may be the one thing that means people like me pass the exam and do not have to repeat next year...(hopefully) :D

Look, not being smart, but would everyone stop trying to double-guess the examiners?

The Asst. Chief will no doubt put forward a proposal at the marking conference, based on precedent, and it will be discussed in depth by all the examiners ... these are all or at least almost all practising teachers who are as anxious for a good and fair solution as you are.

I'm just saying I don't think they'd be "nicer" on other questions. How would you be "nicer" anyway?

I know, I don't like wasting time on this issue as well, it's just we're all annoyed, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

Anyone else picked up on question 5.
    The question asks for the 2 possible answers.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE! as far as I can tell.
    Can anyone else confirm this or let me know what I am doing wrong.

Really WTF??? Did the examiners even try and do this exam themselves before publishing.

I actually did :D Did I talk to you? :)

Not sure if we talked but I just remember this really loud lad who did a lot of mouthing. Guess it was you so. What are the chances :pac:

Raeral wrote: »
    Not sure if we talked but I just remember this really loud lad who did a lot of mouthing. Guess it was you so. What are the chances :pac:

Bit harsh, but I can see where you're coming from :P There were only like 5 people who talked at all!
    Good times :')

Did you make it past the first test? I remember half the class disappearing after that.

• Advertisement

matt007 wrote: »
    Anyone else picked up on question 5.
    The question asks for the 2 possible answers.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE! as far as I can tell.
    Can anyone else confirm this or let me know what I am doing wrong.

Really WTF??? Did the examiners even try and do this exam themselves before publishing.

Q5 does, in fact, have two answers. It's called the ambiguous case as one possible angle is acute while the other possible angle is obtuse.

Advertisement