Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

doeas anyone know how to find standard deviaiton on a casio calculator?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

**** i forgot to put it as 8900 i left it as a decimal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Not dreading anything on this paper really, just hope I can interpret the probable 75 mark trigonometry question. I hate the circle and learning those three theorems of course :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'm terrible at the circle questions. Does anyone find that the mock paper (DEBS) is very different from the samples? Which one do you think the real thing will be like?

Not looking forward to this one tbh. :/

Schools were advised to take the geometric apporach to the circle question rather than the algebraic approach (tables).
    So drawing and stuff is what they want us to be doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

Does anyone have the answer the probability question on 2010 paper? (it's page 232 edco papers). It says it's deferred material but my teacher said it's actually on our course, ended up quickly brushing over the central limit theorem on the last day of school!:confused:

You can find the answer on the state examination commission website but here it is
    H : 40 µ = mm (null hypothesis)
    H : 40 µ ≠ mm (alternative hypothesis)
    σx = 0·2/sq(10) = 0·0632456

Observed value of x =39·87
    ∴ Observed z = (39·87 - 40 2·055)/0·0632456 = -2.055

The critical values for the test are ±1·96
    As –2·055 < –1·96, we reject the null hypothesis at the 5% level of significance and we
    conclude that the machine setting has become inaccurate.

my teacher said its not on our course and i dont really understand the way they did it here also where does the 1.96 come from? has any1 got notes on this type of q they can post up? would be very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Guys I have a question about Q2 here,

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003ALP200EV.pdf

Part A is fine

part B I got a bit stuck so I drew out a scaled diagram, 1 unit=1cm . I then drew the two circles using the answers from part a, and sure enough they touch externally, Will I get the marks for this?

For part C it says to prove they have the point (4,7) in common, using my diagram in part B I saw that they had the point (4,7) in common. Again will I get the marks?

Guys I have a question about Q2 here,

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003ALP200EV.pdf

Part A is fine

part B I got a bit stuck so I drew out a scaled diagram, 1 unit=1cm . I then drew the two circles using the answers from part a, and sure enough they touch externally, Will I get the marks for this?

For part C it says to prove they have the point (4,7) in common, using my diagram in part B I saw that they had the point (4,7) in common. Again will I get the marks?
    for B you get the distance of the line of the two centres.
    then you add both radii together.
    these will be equal.
    this proves they are touching.
    draw two circles touching and you'll see it better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

What about deriving the formulae in Trig? Is it worth learning off? like.. I find them so confusing and am considering taking the risk and focusing on learning off stuff for 6(a)

SmidgeBall wrote: »
    What about deriving the formulae in Trig? Is it worth learning off? like.. I find them so confusing and am considering taking the risk and focusing on learning off stuff for 6(a)

Well yeah i'd say do it. it will more than likely appear tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Schools were advised to take the geometric apporach to the circle question rather than the algebraic approach (tables).
    So drawing and stuff is what they want us to be doing!

I have no clue what you mean by either of those :L

I have no clue what you mean by either of those :L

Do you know where in the tables there are forumlas for finding centre and all that? well they don't like us using those and so will make it more of a diagram question. (so i've been told!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Do you know where in the tables there are forumlas for finding centre and all that? well they don't like us using those and so will make it more of a diagram question. (so i've been told!)

Pffft formulas all the way. That being said, I am attrocious at the circle questions, especially finding their equations and stuff. So hopefully drawing some kind of diagram will get me some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

Kingkumar wrote: »
    You can find the answer on the state examination commission website but here it is
    H : 40 µ = mm (null hypothesis)
    H : 40 µ ≠ mm (alternative hypothesis)
    σx = 0·2/sq(10) = 0·0632456

Observed value of x =39·87
    ∴ Observed z = (39·87 - 40 2·055)/0·0632456 = -2.055

The critical values for the test are ±1·96
    As –2·055 < –1·96, we reject the null hypothesis at the 5% level of significance and we
    conclude that the machine setting has become inaccurate.

my teacher said its not on our course and i dont really understand the way they did it here also where does the 1.96 come from? has any1 got notes on this type of q they can post up? would be very helpful

Thanks for the answer :)
    you've got 2.5% on either tail (5% level of significance). So 100% - 2.5%= 97.5% which =0.975. Go to the z-tables, read backwards from 0.975 and you'll get z=1.96
    Since the normal curve is symmetric you'll have +/- 1.96
    So basically just remember +/-1.96 for 5% level of significance! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Geometric approach? Ew, I prefer the algebraic approach myself, having mastered it in fifth year. :P
    A question geared towards a geometric approach could throw me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone have any other useful links? My teacher rushed through the constructions..

Math open ref have step by step animations of loads of Constructions; they're not numbered as in the Irish syllabus but very useful nonetheless. Have a Google of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

Realistically does anyone think those trig proofs are going to come up? With exception maybe of sin/cos rules which could be bumped in at the end of a trig question, all those other proofs seem pretty archaic and against the overall ideals of project maths,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 barrhe

bigboy123 wrote: »
    Realistically does anyone think those trig proofs are going to come up? With exception maybe of sin/cos rules which could be bumped in at the end of a trig question, all those other proofs seem pretty archaic and against the overall ideals of project maths,
    Theorem 11, 12 or 13 might be up I'd say

Central limit theorem? Never heard of it! And Active Maths never sent a supplement to my school as far as I know

Central limit theorem? Never heard of it! And Active Maths never sent a supplement to my school as far as I know

Jesus, they should have!
    It's a little blue booklet named "Chapter 4: Statistics II New section: Sampling."

• Advertisement

Jesus, they should have!
    It's a little blue booklet named "Chapter 4: Statistics II New section: Sampling."

Let's just hope none of it comes up. :P

Let's just hope none of it comes up. :P

Yeah you should be fine! :)
    Ar aon nos, Best of Luck!
    I really hope this is a nice paper!!

I'm terrible at the circle questions. Does anyone find that the mock paper (DEBS) is very different from the samples? Which one do you think the real thing will be like?

Not looking forward to this one tbh. :/

Same. Studied the circle since I've gotten up this morning and I'm in no way prepared for it :/

bigboy123 wrote: »
    No I don't think they're going to put trig proofs on the paper based on what we saw from paper 1. At this point they're examining the more applied aspects of the project maths, so I'm not bothering to learn the proofs or identities. My money is on a tan graph with asypmtotes. I am learning the three theorems though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I found this question quite tricky and did it up on paint because I thought ye'd find it useful.

Rs8WJe5.jpg

In the diagram, PQ is bisector of angle TPR. Prove that QP = QR.

Enjoy, and let me know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

What are people preparing for this paper? Really need to do well cause I did horrible in paper 1..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

yournerd wrote: »
    What are people preparing for this paper? Really need to do well cause I did horrible in paper 1..

You should do well if you are capable of the question above (well for geometry anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

So is all we have to learn off for tomorrow...

Theorems 11.12 and 13
    Constructions 1-22
    Trig formulae (sine rule, cosine rule, everything on pg. 14-15 of table)
    methods of sampling
    statistical terms
    geometry and proof definitions (axiom, corollary, proof by contradiction etc.)

is that it? Have i forgotten anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Undeadfred wrote: »
    So is all we have to learn off for tomorrow...

Theorems 11.12 and 13
    Constructions 1-22
    Trig formulae (sine rule, cosine rule, everything on pg. 14-15 of table)
    methods of sampling
    statistical terms
    geometry and proof definitions (axiom, corollary, proof by contradiction etc.)

is that it? Have i forgotten anything?

JC Theorems aswell unfortunately, I could see Pythagoras cropping up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    JC Theorems aswell unfortunately, I could see Pythagoras cropping up..

We don't have to prove them though, just apply them, right? :confused:

Advertisement