Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I got either 163 or 143 for HP.
    I simply went away and drew the perpendicular distance from the point to HP for part i and used pythag and then did sine rule for part ii.

Q9 was, quite simply put, idiotic.

I actually left a note on my paper pointing out the various flaws in the question and showed that i could recognise the problem and then left a solution which would usually solve the questions in question 9.
    Annoyed.

Q2 was comical, took me a good 10 minutes to take the risk and just redraw the feckin curves.

Rest of the paper was ok, stats was very easy imo. as was q1, q3 and q5 (relatively easy).

q4, i managed to get the equation of the common tangent but for some reason my mind just blanked on how to find the co-ordinates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Yanno in the line question? Was l an answer 3 times?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Dapics wrote: »
    I simply went away and drew the perpendicular distance from the point to HP for part i and used pythag and then did sine rule for part ii.

I actually left a note on my paper pointing out the various flaws in the question and showed that i could recognise the problem and then left a solution which would usually solve the questions in question 9.
    Annoyed.

Q2 was comical, took me a good 10 minutes to take the risk and just redraw the feckin curves.

Rest of the paper was ok, stats was very easy imo. as was q1, q3 and q5 (relatively easy).

q4, i managed to get the equation of the common tangent but for some reason my mind just blanked on how to find the co-ordinates.

What did you get for part A of Q9?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

What did you get for part A of Q9?

I got 4root2 and I'm pretty sure its right

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Raeral wrote: »

I am pretty sure I got that as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Dapics wrote: »

Annoyed.

Was I the only one who thought Q9 was grand? Proving the rectangle at the end was a bit random but besides that it was a fair enough question really, not even the hardest on the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Lollipops13

question 9 - ill be lucky to get 1 out of 45! Since when is there 9 questions???
    HORRIBLE PAPER!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

I hated that paper! A1 gone to a B1 now for fook sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

well there goes A1 i think but maybe if theres a mistake in the HT i might have hope. got most of the otheres :) but didnt have the slightest idea how to prove that rectangle at the end of q9 was a rectangle. Also what did u guys do for the graphs in q2

Was I the only one who thought Q9 was grand? Proving the rectangle at the end was a bit random but besides that it was a fair enough question really, not even the hardest on the paper.

I found it relatively easy, with the same problem with the rectangle.

For K area I got 8pi and max area I got 9pi similar?

• Advertisement

that is right XD:

Nah I agree with you, wasn't too bad. Spent a while doing out loads of complicated simultaneous equations for that rectangle though, before I realised I could just prove it by using the fact that an angle in a semi-circle is 90 degrees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Is 4 angles of 90 degrees sufficient to say that it is a rectangle?

sganyfx wrote: »

Yep, same as what I got :)

Yep those were my answers too :)

Ye I think it should be; it's what I wrote anyway.

It should be, that's what I said as well :)

yeah i got both those answers. Q9 was grand for me cept the rectangle i ended up basically saying random stuff like when 2 chords bisect they form right angles and stuff

It should be, that's what I said as well :)

no its not as all angle 90 could be a square u need to prove that 2 of the sides are not same length and also all angles 90

Kingkumar wrote: »
    no its not as all angle 90 could be a square u need to prove that 2 of the sides are not same length and also all angles 90

A square is a form of rectangle though

• Advertisement

Ye I'm fairly sure that the only criterion is that the angles are all 90

A square is a form of rectangle though

really didnt know..... well i wasted all that time trying to prove the lengths are different..:mad: and failing :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

This is probably ridiculous.. But I said how a rectangle is symmetrical, then I used the 2 triangles inside and proved them to be congruent.. So the triangles were the same as each other so the shape was a rectangle...

It sounds even stupider writing it now than it did the first time >.<

What did people get for the co-ordinates of the point of intersection of the circles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What did people get for the co-ordinates of the point of intersection of the circles?

I got (-1.4,-08) I think or it could be the other way round.
    What did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

im suprised the sin rule proof came up didnt expect that any one forgot to do the obtuse angle case?

ahmdoda wrote: »
    im suprised the sin rule proof came up didnt expect that any one forgot to do the obtuse angle case?

Why would you have to do the obtuse case as well? Surely if they don't ask for it you only have to do one or the other?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I got (-1.4,-08) I think or it could be the other way round.
    What did you get?

Something similar. :) and the slope of the tangent was -4/3 or something like that yeah?

ahmdoda wrote: »

Only one is necessary I do believe :)

• Advertisement

Why would you have to do the obtuse case as well? Surely if they don't ask for it you only have to do one or the other?

For proving the sine rule that didn't specify any kind of triangle so you had to prove both the acute case and the obtuse case, unless you used the area formula to prove it. I believe you're thinking about later on when they asked you to find area of the acute angled triangle.

Advertisement