Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

deise_girl wrote: »
    This is probably ridiculous.. But I said how a rectangle is symmetrical, then I used the 2 triangles inside and proved them to be congruent.. So the triangles were the same as each other so the shape was a rectangle...

It sounds even stupider writing it now than it did the first time >.<

Unfortunately, if you did correctly prove their congruency, it still only proves that it's a parallelogram and not an actual rectangle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

sganyfx wrote: »
    Something similar. :) and the slope of the tangent was -4/3 or something like that yeah?

Yeah that what I got too. Grand on that question now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Has to be said, maths overall was a lovely paper for those, of whom I am one, that were looking for a lovely sneaking D2/3. Thunderous parts on both papers for those looking anywhere above a B1.

Happy days for the minnows! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Raeral wrote: »
    For proving the sine rule that didn't specify any kind of triangle so you had to prove both the acute case and the obtuse case, unless you used the area formula to prove it. I believe you're thinking about later on when they asked you to find area of the acute angled triangle.

I'm fairly certain you don't have to prove it for the obtuse case as well. My Textbook (Texts and Tests) doesn't even make reference to the obtuse case at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

yea went well myself.
    Had looked over how to prove the sin rule last night, was actualy amazed that it came up. Fairly happy with it, Paper 1 was hard ennough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

Raeral wrote: »
    All in all, not too bad. Managed to answer everything anyway :) coincidentally, I happened to do a project on the arbelos for the young scientists in TY, never in my wildest dreams did I actually think it would turn up on the exam :P

Also did anyone else spot a problem with the triangle they gave you in question 8. It was supposed to have sides of 80 and 110 with an enclosed angle of 124 degrees and another angle of 36. However this triangle doesn't exist as 80/sin20 isn't equal to 110/sin36 :confused:

I saw that aswell but just went with it and got a very weird answer, like 136 for the other angle and just accepted it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Any idea when the paper will be uploaded?

sganyfx wrote: »
    Any idea when the paper will be uploaded?

I'd say they'll upload it with Irish in one go, so probably around 5 if I had to guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

For a person that's shoite at maths, i found that surprisingly okay!
    Now the question 9 area question was a complete joke i couldn't get my head around it at all!
    But the trig was relatively okay and there was nothing too tricky in the stat/prob side of things.

Actually for the question about changing the deviation of plants with added hormones? What was i supposed to do there? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Anyone found the solutions for Paper 2?

• Advertisement

Yanno in the line question? Was l an answer 3 times?!

Thank God, I got the same thing too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Wasn't expecting that :( Altough to be fair it wasn't a bad paper in it's own right, I just got caught off guard a bit.... sadly my A1 chances may not be so good now xD

Strangely enough I found Q.9 to be quite easy apart from one or two bits... I completely screwed up Q.4, couldn't get the common point and tangent, and Q.5 didn't go so well either... but all in all, not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

RML wrote: »
    Thank God, I got the same thing too!!

Could you please write what you put down I for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Actually so pissed off with paper. My head wasn't focused at all. Ah well.

Umm I dont remember that well.. All I know is that I had L 3 times in the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 valencianista

Did anybody else think there was a problem with Q8? 80/sin20 and 110/sin36 do not equal!! Also if you divide it into two triangles and get the cos80=a and cos110=a and add them together you dont get the same answer that you did with the sin rule! Surely there was a mistake in that! Or am i just crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Scariest moment of my life when 30 seconds before walking into the exam hall realise my pencil case containing my calculator fell out of my bag in the car! :eek:

Panicking so bad, saw my maths teacher walking down the corridor and started shouting "Sir! Sir! My Pencil case! Gone! AAAH!" :P He gave me 3 pens and a calculator, saved my life.

For the crop graphs, I got the first one as being shifted to the right, the second one was skinnier but taller, and the 3rd one was fatter but shorter. I only had one shot at them seeing as I didn't have a rubber, and I forgot to make them taller and shorter, just skinnier and fatter :( Couldn't change it once I saw my mistake.

Rest of the paper was alright though, trickier than paper 1 granted. Was delighted when Sine rule proof came up, literally the only proof I know :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Did anybody else think there was a problem with Q8? 80/sin20 and 110/sin36 do not equal!! Also if you divide it into two triangles and get the cos80=a and cos110=a and add them together you dont get the same answer that you did with the sin rule! Surely there was a mistake in that! Or am i just crazy?
    yes so i assumed they were not looking for the perpindular distance and used the cosine rule to work out the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Differentiation on Paper 2? The ****?

Chikablam wrote: »
    Differentiation on Paper 2? The ****?

Umm Differentiation?? Are you sure?

• Advertisement

they made a mistake by making a triangle that cant exist. here have some free marks :)

Yeah, last question, find the maximum are of the whatever it's called

Yeah the max. area of the arbelos was Da/dx = 0

D_s wrote: »
    Yeah the max. area of the arbelos was Da/dx = 0

you cant be asked calculus anywhere except for section C paper 2. -the syllabus

:eek:
    Totally failed that question. Didn't even realise there was differentiation..

You probably didn't have to use differentiation, it just made it easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

they made a mistake by making a triangle that cant exist. here have some free marks :)

Are you sure they made a mistake?

Are you sure they made a mistake?

ya the basic rules of a triangle were not met in the question. either that or a lot of people made the same mistake. however i checked with a few A1 students and my teacher after the test and we agreed we had some free marks :)

0___0

• Advertisement

You probably didn't have to use differentiation, it just made it easier

Yeah I'd say this is the case. What other method did people use? Just curious. I suppose you could recognise that the pattern for area is a quadratic with a vertex at 9Pi or whatever.

You wouldn't lose mark for doing differetiation though would you? :confused:

Advertisement