Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

D_s wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say this is the case. What other method did people use? Just curious. I suppose you could recognise that the pattern for area is a quadratic with a vertex at 9Pi or whatever.

You wouldn't lose mark for doing differetiation though would you? :confused:

id say that the project maths did that on purpose. they will definitely reward full marks if your method gave you the right answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ya the basic rules of a triangle were not met in the question. either that or a lot of people made the same mistake. however i checked with a few A1 students and my teacher after the test and we agreed we had some free marks :)

only if you attempted it I presume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

D_s wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say this is the case. What other method did people use? Just curious. I suppose you could recognise that the pattern for area is a quadratic with a vertex at 9Pi or whatever.

You wouldn't lose mark for doing differetiation though would you? :confused:

I suppose you could have graphed it and just found the maximum point, or else used trial and error until you found it. And no they can't take marks off if it's a valid method.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

only if you attempted it I presume ?

The first rule of HL maths with project maths is that you will be given marks for almost anything! drawing a triangle would have probably yielded marks :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Thought it was grand, easy out but a bit light on eh ………maths :L

• Advertisement

Guys, what chapter was question 9? I couldn't attempt any of it. It had my brain fried! Otherwise, I think I got full marks in other sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

id say that the project maths did that on purpose. they will definitely reward full marks if your method gave you the right answer

The marking scheme will always say "Methods are not exhaustive, if its a valid method and you get the right answer they can't not give the marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Guys, what chapter was question 9? I couldn't attempt any of it. It had my brain fried! Otherwise, I think I got full marks in other sections.

There's no real chapter. It drew on parts of the theorems as well as a bit of circle theory and some trig at the start as well. Some calculus too for finding the max area.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

How will we officially know that they made a mistake and we get free marks??

There's no real chapter. It drew on parts of the theorems as well as a bit of circle theory and some trig at the start as well. Some calculus too for finding the max area.

Well I attempted it but it was awful I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EimerR

woo free marks for that impossible triangle!! what was up with the Q9 I thought there was only meant to be 8 questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Overall I'm delighted with it! All was going swimmingly until I hit question 9, like the statistics, line, circle questions were grand, even the trig question with the ports was fine and I usually can't do trig for the life of me.

The second page of the arbelos question was alright though, the bit where you had to fill in the table, find the equation and the max. height. Hadn't a clue where to even start for the bit before the arbelos, with the triangle and finding k, proving the bits on the next page was equally disastrous.

There's hope for my B yet, thank the lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Savage, noticed the mistake too. Do we get full marks on that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AoifeAoife

Does it matter if you don't put the make of calculator on the paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Cant believe I tripped up on q2... Paper was very long, arbeloas was very nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

I didn't notice any mistake in that triangle question.... I got answers that worked, I think :L ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Conballz wrote: »
    I didn't notice any mistake in that triangle question.... I got answers that worked, I think :L ... :(

you can get answers one way but they can't be verified another way, basic triangular principles were violated and as a result I feel violated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

That doesn't matter that you attempted it. There was a mistake in my JC Business exam, I think it was in the household budget, I'm pretty sure everyone that attempted the q got full marks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

same i dont know whats wrong waiting for the paper to be posted to see whats every one taking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any chance of full marks for all the question?

• Advertisement

kevin12345 wrote: »
    That doesn't matter that you attempted it. There was a mistake in my JC Business exam, I think it was in the household budget, I'm pretty sure everyone that attempted the q got full marks. :)
    I remember that. I was distraught when my budget didn't work out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I was happy with that. I actually refuse to read this thread because I'm so much more iffy on a lot of my answers than I was with Paper 1 (especially the last question, though it did begin to make sense after a while), but it went better than I expected. Q 1-6 were mostly OK, I don't think I got full marks on the construction though and I ended up doing a quick job on 6B at the end just in case. :L Q7 was just very, very easy but hey that's probability and statistics, Q8 was pretty good, spent a while at the last part but I got an answer and was pretty chuffed (whatever about it not existing? I got an answer so I don't care whether it exists or not haha, just gimme marks plz), Q9 was scary, I don't think I got the right anwer for k but tbh I actually couldn't fault my method, my answer was really irritating me as it defied the logic of a right angled triangle but meh my method's grand. 9 was scary at first but it started to make sense after a bit, dunno whether I got much of it right really but I certainly tried. The last one with the rectangle I had to get done in about five minutes, practically made up my answer from the sky tbh but I think I'll get something for it.

Overall not too bad, not as good as Paper 1, I think I probably got a B1 overall but there's hope for an A2 I think. Happy it's over. :)

Now to resist the temptation to ever venture into this thread again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Is this the XYZ triangle? Because I got 54 degrees and 124 degrees for the angle XZY and it seemed very unusual. I used the sine rule correctly and everything and verified it by going over my calculations but when I added the angles up they never gave 180 degrees. I thought it was very strange..if this is the question everyone is discussing??

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

SecondMan wrote: »
    Is this the XYZ triangle? Because I got 54 degrees and 124 degrees for the angle XZY and it seemed very unusual. I used the sine rule correctly and everything and verified it by going over my calculations but when I added the angles up they never gave 180 degrees. I thought it was very strange..if this is the question everyone is discussing??

It's actually the question about the ports Q8 that people are referring to as being incorrect. For that question you are talking about I believe I got 49 degrees and 131 degrees, although my memory is a bit hazy at this point.

Do we need to report the question as incorrect? If so, how do we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Ye know for the construction in 6A, the orthocentre. Was that supposed to be outside the triangle altogether because mine was, which I found highly unusual........ :L

It was :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Yeah mine was too. Kind of obvious it was going to be. They didn't neatly tuck the triangle at the edge of the page for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Ye know for the construction in 6A, the orthocentre. Was that supposed to be outside the triangle altogether because mine was, which I found highly unusual........ :L

Same. Dropping down perpendicular from each vertice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

AoifeAoife wrote: »
    Does it matter if you don't put the make of calculator on the paper?

I actually forgot as well, kept meaning to do it but yeah that Q9 distracted me! :rolleyes: Asked the supervisor after and she said it'll be grand especially since I wrote it on paper 1. Apparently it's only used if there's a query with one of your answers, so no worries :)

Advertisement