Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog flaps for big dogs & house security

• 07-06-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in installing some form of dog flap when i move into my house and get my dog. I will need one big enough for an Alaskan Malamute to use, however i'm worried about house security with it installed. Surely if it is big enough for a mal, it will be big enough for someone to crawl though and rob the house? What do people do or are there special types of dog flaps you can get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You can get one that will only open if the dog has a collar with a chip on as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

But how strong are they? Wouldn't someone be able to kick it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Have no idea, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Expensive, but something like this would do the trick i think. Has anyone seen anything similar in the UK

http://www.halepetdoor.com/products/58-flat-roof-security-barrier.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'd say someone could kick the normal dog flaps in, even the ones operated by a chip, if they really wanted to. That link looks amazing, never seen anything like it here or in the UK though I'm afraid.

The thing with large dog flaps though, is that if someone wants to get into a house, they will get in. They can break a window easily enough and they're in. A large dog flap, and a malamute in the property I would have thought would act as a deterrent, the issue of course could be if you and the dog are away from the house, I know dog flaps can be locked, but they can be kicked in. I put a baby gate inside ours. If the baby gate is fixed securely and then you shut it properly, no way can anyone from the outside open that dog flap. It all depends though on which way you door opens, as to whether you can fit a baby gate inside the door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement