Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dripping: Do we have to experience that one burny before re-dripping? Some newb Q's

Options
  • 07-06-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you more experienced drippers do here. After you've built your coil, and pre-soaked the wicks, gave it a test run ... and you start to vape with your set up.

How do you know how many drops to add each time? do you specifically aim the drops to the coil or wicks or just random drip in there?

Do you just get used to how many draws you get each time before topping up? or wait for that horrible burnt taste to kick in?

As each coil you build will be different, that's a little hard judge no?

Do you ever take a few pulls, leave it down, and come back without re-dripping?

Or a fresh few drops every time?

Is one wick, folded, always enough? Does adding more cuts of wick increase the amount of drops you can add by much, if at all?

How long do you use one fresh coil for before changing for a new one? do you wash them off and re-use? Or fresh every time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

So many questions.......so many different answers to the same questions.....

It depends on the dripper really. A Clockworks RDA for instance holds up to 20 drops and centre have a clear tank so you'll see how much is in there.

The Bulli Classic can hold about 4/5 drops. Outstanding dripper.

There's a bunch of drippers somewhere in between in terms of capacity.

The coil is the coil and usually will come out around the same resistance when you have some experience at building them. The wick can affect the capacity though. More wick means more capacity but there's an optimum. Ideally as short as possible but you need enough to make sure that you can have a good few drops in there.

When to change the coil depends in the juice more than anything I think. You'll know when it's drying out by the flavour if nothing else.

I should say though that I only use mesh in a Clockworks RDA because it holds a fair drop of juice and its unlikely to run dry. When mesh runs dry its a bad experience. It's sudden and I don't care what anybody says, inhaling burnt mesh is not a good thing for you, at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wanted to get all questions that were bumbling about in my head out at once :)

Thanks for the input.

So far I have only made about 6-7 successful coils, a few others that seemed fine but then the bloody wire snapped, maybe I'm a bit rough when moving them after securing? I check, and it's a nice 1.5 ohm, then wigle it for some reason, check again, 9.9 ohms ... ooops.

I love the flavour I'm getting on the ones that have worked out. Much nicer than you get, on the same juices, from any tank, but it's the actual dripping I'm not sure on. I really don't like a burnt hit, I'm sure nobody does, but I had a bit of a gag experience a few weeks back that I never want repeated.

I have a smok mini atty, that came with the octopus style wicks installed. I've not tried that yet, just re-building standard one wick folded. And I have 2 igo-s attys, got both of them nicely set up at 1.4 ohms each. But looks like they need refreshing already, I'm mostly using El toro juices in there, and I have read they tend to muck up coils quicker than most.

Also, just like to see what others do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Just wondering what you more experienced drippers do here. After you've built your coil, and pre-soaked the wicks, gave it a test run ... and you start to vape with your set up.

How do you know how many drops to add each time? do you specifically aim the drops to the coil or wicks or just random drip in there?

Do you just get used to how many draws you get each time before topping up? or wait for that horrible burnt taste to kick in?

As each coil you build will be different, that's a little hard judge no?

Do you ever take a few pulls, leave it down, and come back without re-dripping?

Or a fresh few drops every time?

Is one wick, folded, always enough? Does adding more cuts of wick increase the amount of drops you can add by much, if at all?

How long do you use one fresh coil for before changing for a new one? do you wash them off and re-use? Or fresh every time?

You fill up with however many drops you think you might vape or how many your atty might hold.
    Not really about the number of draws or waiting for it to burn, you'll learn to notice a flavour & vapour drop - that burny thing happens quicker with silica, the flavour drop is more noticable with cotton before it burns, but two tokes extra and that cotton will make you cough a lung up if you inhale without noticing the taste of burning, [I'm gonna preface this with a "Really?" for GH 'cos I reloaded before submitting - I've never had mesh get dry instantaneously without the flavour giving me a major tip-off] SS mesh will lose the flavour in a big way, then the vapour, long before it tastes dry or burnt [to me, obviously, apparently, IMO, YMMV, PB4Ugo2bed].

Most of my vaping is taking a few pulls without redripping. for the iGO-L I tend to drip about 15 drops on first fill, 8 drops whenever it needs it again but generally 8 drops every 2-3 hours.

Adding more wick decreases the amount of drops you can drip. I go with the bare minimum amount of wick, just making sure the wick is toughing the floor of the atty.

I use my coils for months whether using SS mesh or cotton, just dry-burning and brushing the shit off, rinse, dry-burn. Silica is more dependent on a recoil because it's harder to slip one wick out and another in without mangling the coil (although it's possible I'm sure, just harder work than SS or cotton).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Using silica your ohms shouldn't be bouncing around like that. I use 2mm wick folded once and 4 wraps of 0.2 kanthal. That gives around 1.8 ohms.

Make sure that the coils aren't touching anywhere or a turn isn't touching the posts. Doesn't explain the 9 ohms though....not sure what causes that.

Don't worry, it just takes a bit of experience to get the hang of it.

Doesn't explain the 9 ohms though....not sure what causes that.

I'm hedging my bets on the coil touching the floor of the atty.

• Advertisement

Nah, it was just I'd snapped the coil, because I'm a fumbling mule :D That's what I meant by oppps, i knew I'd done it, a few times ... :/

I've it tried anything outside of silica yet, still just getting used to that. But I'll look into other options once I'm a bit more confident.

I made 2 coils tonight, both exactly the same output, and felt real proud, like I had it nailed, and they only took about a minute each - no doubt I'll go through about 4 next time before getting one right!

I hadn't been really counting the drops, I'm as fumbling with that as building, but I'd say i'm a loose dropper - probably about 10-12 drops, then I'm thinking... hmmm, is that enough, ah sure a few more j.i.c! Also I may be borderline hard vaper. At times I have to stop myself - I can dry a wick out in one go with constant strong puffs just after dripping! Hence that query, I was thinking the wicks were drying and starting to give burn a bit quick,

I need to curb that enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

If there is a kink in the wire it tends to snap pretty easy.

I take it that big squirt I do on the end of dripping is a no-no too then?

And no, that wasn't meant to be innuendo-ish :D

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    If there is a kink in the wire it tends to snap pretty easy.

I run a burner/lighter along the wire every time, I've seen that that prevents the 'springiness' of the wire. But I doubt it's that. I think i just toggle the set up too hard when post-settling it. Sometimes I go a little too close to the posts, and after closing up, try niggle the coil back away, that's when it snaps I think

I torch too but if there is a kink in the wire it usually falls apart where the kink is, maybe be more gentle with the toggling :-)

• Advertisement

It snaps when you're not putting any power through it?

grindle wrote: »
    It snaps when you're not putting any power through it?
    Who me? It snaps when I torch it if there is a kink in the wire.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Who me? It snaps when I torch it if there is a kink in the wire.

No, sorry. Meant that other fella, the cagey one.

No, usually after - the coils redden up fine, all seems well, I get a reading of whatever ohms, 1.4 - 1.8, and I'm happy. Then I go jiggling about with the wires, pushing the coil around for no reason, test again ... and something has gone amiss. I'm learning though - once you get the reading you want .. leave the f'ing thing be!!!

But here's another Q¬

how quick do your atty's get hot, I mean ... really hot?

Mine seem to get there real fast, untouchable hot after a short time vaping.

I think my Vamo is a bit screwed. The left [-] button keeps jamming, and the attys are over heating on it.

As Grindle said, you could be pushing the coil onto the base and causing a short but that would read low ohms, another thing could be that you might be overtightining the screws and breaking the wire so its making and breaking, low ohms when its making a contact and high ohms when its breaking a contact, if ya get me, the same could happen if you didnt tighten the screw enough.
    Can you see the wire broken anywhere?
    Attys get pretty hot, especially if your chain vaping at low ohms, I imagine the IGO s would get very hot because it is so small.

Take some pics around the posts. Reading an open connection sounds just like Monsieur Chrome is saying, either over-tightening and breaking it or not having the wire properly secured underneath when it is tightened, so it's just kind of glancing off the post.

Just to update, I've made a bunch more since, and all seem to work fine, all coming out at 1.4 ohms and vaping very nicely :)

The coil snap was always happening on the left post, I was just being overly rough when nudging the coil back away from the post. Being careful on that part now. Nothing as frustrating as building up a coil that looks neat and tidy, check it and it works fine, only to bugger it up by being an awkward fool! :D

I think I was also over tightening the screws too as mentioned, this made the wire snap easier when I went to pull the wick back.

Advertisement