Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made my first homebrew...

Options
  • 07-06-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I bought the starter kit on Homebrew, followed all the instructions to a tee, but... I forgot to add the brewing sugar, so I chucked it in at the end, after dissolving it in boiling water...

Will this give me a rubbish brew?

84662558624678890702729.jpg

That's it after 5 hours, no 'head' as such on top of it or anything... Should I be worried, or will I just use it to strip paint off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I think it should be ok.

The yeast just needs to be in contact with the sugars. You should try mixing it around without trying to add too much air to it, and perhaps, after this you can add more yeast to it?

With that said, I've only brewed twice and haven't done so in a couple of months. I must get back on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What you did is fine. Usually takes 24hr-48hr to get fermenting and see some head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Yep, it's starting to look a bit more like beer now! Can't wait to get into actually brewing stuff not from a pack. My brother makes stuff with his own home grown hops etc, so looking forward to making a few weird beers...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

brianblaze wrote: »
    Yep, it's starting to look a bit more like beer now! Can't wait to get into actually brewing stuff not from a pack. My brother makes stuff with his own home grown hops etc, so looking forward to making a few weird beers...

Join him on a brew day and learn how he makes it.

You can learn a lot online, but the the process in its entirety can be a bit overwhelming to the novice. There are a lot of simple tricks and time savers that can make it all easier.

What's a good heating solution? Regular keg heat belt for €30 on eBay, but what's the even cheaper alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

what's the even cheaper alternative?
    Keeping your bucket in the house where it's plenty warm enough already.

Where are you keeping it that requires a heating belt?

BeerNut wrote: »
    Keeping your bucket in the house where it's plenty warm enough already.

Where are you keeping it that requires a heating belt?

The house is generally 18/19 degrees. Seems that might not be warm enough for some brews. No hotpress sadly

18-19 is absolutely perfect.

Some of the recipes I'm looking at are 21-25? My Coopers kit says 21 up as well?

I'd strongly advise ignoring what kit instructions tell you.

Any temperature under 24 is fine. 18 is ideal. Under 16 and you just need to allow more time for fermentation to happen.

A brewbelt is more likely to harm your beer than help it, IMO.

• Advertisement

Any temperature under 24 is fine. 18 is ideal. Under 16 and you just need to allow more time for fermentation to happen.

Cool.
    Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

+1 to everything that beernut said.

I only ever use my heating belt to finish off a beer that is in the last few gravity points of fermenting (which means I have to know where it will end up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The yeast produce their own heat so in a house that is 18 will have a temp of 24 or so in the brew which is probably what the kit is referring to

adamski8 wrote: »
    The yeast produce their own heat so in a house that is 18 will have a temp of 24 or so in the brew which is probably what the kit is referring to

The thermometer strip read 18 and the 'head' on the wort has dissipated greatly. But since then I've wrapped it in a blanket and some tinfoil... Today is bottle day, so I'll update you guys later!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

The thermometer strip read 18 and the 'head' on the wort has dissipated greatly. But since then I've wrapped it in a blanket and some tinfoil... Today is bottle day, so I'll update you guys later!

Take a f.g reading ,make sure its finished expect 1008-1012 before bottling

946496_258737610934889_171988420_n.jpg

All bottled up and ready to go. Roll on 3 weeks or so!

Also, now I've got my fermenting bucket etc, and a large carboy, what beer should I brew next. I think I want to step outside of the 'beginners kit' and into the 'beginners recipe' with actual hops etc....

Any ideas of a good recipe, with easily gotten ingredients?

Sounds like you're ready to start extract brewing. Do you have a boiler or large stockpot you can use?

I bought an 18litre pot from Heatons the other day especially for brewing!

Any ideas of a good recipe, with easily gotten ingredients?
    3kg of light DME, 500g of crystal malt, 100g of an American hop and US-05 yeast and you have a pale ale.

3kg of light DME, 500g of chocolate malt, 50g of an English hop and S-04 yeast and you have a porter.

Keep it simple, is main thing, I think.

• Advertisement

One thing, filled the bottles, put in the carbonation drops, but the beer seems very flat... I'm assuming the carbonation drops fix thta? (Hopefully)

Yes, the beer will be flat until its conditioned.

How long did you ferment it for?

6 days, as recommended. But the reading was the same for two days in a row and it was spot on in the area marked 'bottle'

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

3kg of light DME, 500g of crystal malt, 100g of an American hop and US-05 yeast and you have a pale ale.

3kg of light DME, 500g of chocolate malt, 50g of an English hop and S-04 yeast and you have a porter.

Keep it simple, is main thing, I think.

This is my next step also ,going to do extract as you have more control over finished beer,already bought grains and some malt

6 days, as recommended.
    By whom? The instructions? :rolleyes: :)
    the reading was the same for two days in a row
    You should be OK for avoiding explosive bottles then, but the beer would have better if left for a bit longer. I'd say two weeks minimum to give the yeast time to clean up after itself once fermentation finishes.
    and it was spot on in the area marked 'bottle'
    You should ignore everything on the hydrometer except the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Interesting thread! I'm dying to start my first home brew, but I'm just in the last couple of weeks before I hopefully complete on my first house and I understand brews don't appreciate being moved during the fermentation process. One of the main things I'm looking forward to is making and tasting my cold homemade house warming beers.

Got a Coopers lager and kit from Tesco-which is possibly an embarrassing admission but I had tried to go to a brewing shop only to find it no longer has a premises-internet only by now...and at the time I thought I would start the brew that very day. :rolleyes: ...well that never happened!

BTW I understand its worth buying bottled water as opposed to using tap water. Any particular brand?

darlett wrote: »
    I understand its worth buying bottled water as opposed to using tap water.
    Really? I'd say if your tap water is OK to drink it should be fine for making beer out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Really? I'd say if your tap water is OK to drink it should be fine for making beer out of.

Thanks good to know. I've a friend whose based in Clonsilla who swears it makes a far superior brew-that could be partly psychological! It is drinkable-but not very nice at that, and his theory is that you shouldn't skimp on the main ingredient so he has been using cheap bottled water from the likes of Lidl or Aldi.

My gaff will be in Cavan-I guess I'll only know when I get the mains connected and turn on the taps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

946496_258737610934889_171988420_n.jpg

All bottled up and ready to go. Roll on 3 weeks or so!

Where did you get the 330ml swing top bottles?

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    Where did you get the 330ml swing top bottles?
    Flensburger Winterbock, at a guess.

Advertisement