Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Gooders

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ronza wrote: »
    I am trying to find a universal opinion of a 'do gooder' .

On AH, it generally equates to not being a cunt.

'Do Gooder' is also interchangeable with 'PC'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Their physiology ,anatomy ,genes .....etc.

Do Gooder is defined as "One who advocates or performs what they believe to be the morally superior course of action, even in the face of overwhelming experience or factual evidence that its effect is only irrelevant or harmful."
    The term is used in a derogatory way.
    As for physiology , anatomy , genes , maybe you are thinking of something like Physiognomy - judging a persons character by the shape of their head. I do not think Do Gooders can be spotted by the shape of their head . Facial hair is a possibility though.

In the past I think to want to do good or to have a bleeding heart might have had positive connotations but times have changed apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

anncoates wrote: »
    On AH, it generally equates to not being a cunt.

'Do Gooder' is also interchangeable with 'PC'.

Dogooders tend to only do good with other peoples cash and by enriching themselves in the process. True philanthropists such as Feeney, Gates et al do it with their own.

Pay me a six figure sum and il sit on any board or quango and scream about the most vulnerable or the starving in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I would be considered a Do Gooder! I'm one of those people who ends up volunteering for all sorts of things - at the moment they seem to associated with my kids.

I chair the school PTA and get involved in all the fundraising activities. I also volunteer with local clubs that my kids are involved in.

IMHO there are those that do and those that don't give a toss and the rest in the middle somewhere. Those that do - about 5% of the school parents, will help with most things and if you are looking for volunteers for something, they always seem to come from this small group.

Who are they? They're just normal people who get a kick, for whatever reason, out of helping others. A good few will have a religious background. Others, like myself, will have no interest in the church whatsoever.

A lot, like myself, will be outsiders who have moved to a new community and it helps you get to know a lot of people quickly.

I do it because I want to give something back. I've had an incredibly fortunate life up to now, parents who gave me everything, a great wife, and beautiful healthy kids. We haven't got a bean left over at the end of the month but we want for nothing. I've been self-employed for decades, never knowing where next month's mortgage is going to come from, but it does.

I also volunteer with kids who, through no fault of their own, have been dealt a pretty **** hand in life. I do it because I can and again hope that by doing so, hopefully my kids will get lucky in life.

I think it's called karma. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Consider the other type of do-gooder. Latin: Rightwingusidiotus. Rightwingusidiotus believes that locking people up for victimless crimes is doing them good. Rightwingusidiotus is the useful idiot who believes, by way of well-funded propaganda, that grotesque monopolistic corporations can only do-good for us and the state and public service is always evil. Rightwingusidiotus argues for freedom for sharks at the expense of the sardine.

Rightwingusidiotus believes in the virtues of 'spreading democracy' by using democracy bombs and peace-and-love soldiers to do-good. Rightwingusidiotus is only too happy to send other ordinary people's children to foreign lands to shoot other ordinary people; people they have more in common with than the do-gooder who sent them.

Rightwingusidiotus pretends he loves freedom and democracy but, really, he internally despises any challenge to the establishment, is deeply frightened of change, and most of all is terrified that the unwashed plebs will rise up and deny him his privileges.

Rightwingusidiotus, good folks of AH, are the most dishonest and destructive of all species of do-gooders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pharmaton wrote: »
    I'm female, mid thirties, dark hair and eyes, slim build, about 5'4, I look like natalie portman with short hair :/ I'm genetically predisposed to hayfever and asthma but other than that I'm healthy adult human. Hope this helps.

Whats your universal opinion though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Ronza

I would be considered a Do Gooder! I'm one of those people who ends up volunteering for all sorts of things - at the moment they seem to associated with my kids.

I chair the school PTA and get involved in all the fundraising activities. I also volunteer with local clubs that my kids are involved in.

IMHO there are those that do and those that don't give a toss and the rest in the middle somewhere. Those that do - about 5% of the school parents, will help with most things and if you are looking for volunteers for something, they always seem to come from this small group.

Who are they? They're just normal people who get a kick, for whatever reason, out of helping others. A good few will have a religious background. Others, like myself, will have no interest in the church whatsoever.

A lot, like myself, will be outsiders who have moved to a new community and it helps you get to know a lot of people quickly.

I do it because I want to give something back. I've had an incredibly fortunate life up to now, parents who gave me everything, a great wife, and beautiful healthy kids. We haven't got a bean left over at the end of the month but we want for nothing. I've been self-employed for decades, never knowing where next month's mortgage is going to come from, but it does.

I also volunteer with kids who, through no fault of their own, have been dealt a pretty **** hand in life. I do it because I can and again hope that by doing so, hopefully my kids will get lucky in life.

I think it's called karma. :)

I think you would be classed as a normal everyday do gooder .
    The fanatical type is what interests me.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I think they are supposedly 98% and 95% genetically similar to bleeding heart liberals and the PC Brigade respectively. Or else a non-fertile hybrid of the two. Can't remember which.

I'm a 100% pc bleedin heart liberal do gooder commie and proud if it :) - maybe we should have a do gooders pride parade ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The Oxford dictionary definition : a well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.

Informal, usually disparaging a well-intentioned person, esp a naive or impractical one

a well-intentioned but naive and sometimes ineffectual social reformer.

“The do-gooders are also seen as deviant rule breakers. It's as if they're giving away Monopoly money so someone can stay in the game, irking other players no end.”

I went through a period of being a do gooder. I was left with an empty feeling.Try anything once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

I'm a 100% pc bleedin heart liberal do gooder commie and proud if it :) - maybe we should have a do gooders pride parade ;-)

A 100% dogooder commie would have sold the computer and donated the proceeds to the poor. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

Dogooders are people who haven't learned to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Do gooders are simply interferring people who should learn how to keep their noses out of other peoples business as far as im concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Their physiology ,anatomy ,genes .....etc.

Ill tell you if you pay me.

A 100% dogooder commie would have sold the computer and donated the proceeds to the poor. ;)

The commie bit was sarcastic

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I always thought a do gooder was somebody who would involve themselves in other peoples arguments and forcibly try to solve the feud without even knowing what the problem is or the extent of it.In other words-they really shouldn't interfere:even though their intentions may be good.Another example, I thought,would be a person who offers excuses for another person's inexcusable bad behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I always thought it was someone who is likely to squeal on you. Make sure you're obeying the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Whats your universal opinion though?
    on do gooders?
    In my experience do gooders always turn out to be do very fcuking badders. Smiley faces an all.
    The actual honest to dog good people on this earth are the ones whose deeds go unrecognised and usually, suffer every step of the way.

pharmaton wrote: »
    on do gooders?
    In my experience do gooders always turn out to be do very fcuking badders. Smiley faces an all.
    The actual honest to dog good people on this earth are the ones whose deeds go unrecognised and usually, suffer every step of the way.

I think a lot of do gooders do it to be recognised .Those that go to mass just to be seen .The Politicians that go to funerals some they do not even know.An obsession to be seen as a champion of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I know a do gooder.. Lives in spring field, goes by the name of Ned Flanders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I prefer good doers. They cause a lot less fuss, much quieter and you rarely have to clean up after them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 10 cook_my_sock

cruais wrote: »
    I know a do gooder.. Lives in spring field, goes by the name of Ned Flanders

flanders is a goody two shoes , that's different

lisa simpson is the quintessential do - gooder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

I think as the Moderator is a 100% do gooder ,any comment that is not 100% in favour of do gooders will get you a ban.

Advertisement