Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VEC grant for a repeat year under exceptional circumstances?

Options
  • 07-06-2013 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I had severe problems with mental illness beginning in last October, and as a result, I completely failed my second year in college. My plan is to forge ahead with my education, and work to repeat the two semesters from September on. I've started my own inquires independently, and I'm really just curious if anyone here has ever applied for this waiver on the grant, and been successful.

What was your experience? What documentation (I possess several letters from my doctor and other professionals in regard to my situation) would be asked for?

The rules for the VEC student grant reads (emphasis mine):
    Generally speaking, if students fail one or more end of year exam, they can repeat the subject in August. In this instance, if students are successful they will be eligible for their grant for the following academic year. However, if students fail the repeat exams they will be ineligible for grant assistance as grants will not be paid for a repeat year of study at the same level irrespective of whether a grant was paid previously. A VEC / Local Authority shall have discretion to waive this clause under exceptional circumstances such as “Certified Serious Illness”. Please notify the admissions office of your college / university regarding the circumstances of your repeat year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would advise contacting your student union welfare officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Contact the grant awarding authority and see what they say. I have seen people get the grant under the waiver clause but it can depend on the illness, how long it lasted and its severity.

Advertisement