Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansys.ie Asking for proof of address?

Options
  • 07-06-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

My girlfriend was just ordering a phone off expansys and paid through paypal, she got an email of confirmation but it said they needed a bill to prove the address was correct.

I am just wondering why this is needed and is it safe to be sending a company such personal details ?

Thanks in advance,
    Alan.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes it's safe. They just want proof of address, to make sure it's not someone skimming a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It may seem OTT, but it's for your own protection (and theirs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Its easy, take a bill with the company name on it that has your name and address on it. Get a black permanent marker and redact everything else on the page except the name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ken wrote: »
    Its easy, take a bill with the company name on it that has your name and address on it. Get a black permanent marker and redact everything else on the page except the name and address.

Or just cover over the irrelevant details with another sheet of paper/post its.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or just cover over the irrelevant details with another sheet of paper/post its.
    I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression they wanted the op to post them a bill with the name and address on it. Never thought of scan and email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You don't even need to scan it. You can just take a photo as long as the details are clear. I've done that before with Pixmania, I think it was, when they needed proof of identity. I just told them that I didn't have a scanner (which at the time I didn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

Thanks for the reply everyone, we got a tv license and scanned it and they accepted that :)

Advertisement