Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birmingham

• 07-06-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Myself and the other half are moving over to birmingham, Have work lined up so now just need to find a place to live. Anyone know what areas to avoid when renting and what areas would be nice and safe to live in?
    Are there many young irish working and living over there as we know no one over there and most people seem to head to london for work!

Any advice on birmingham would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Where will you be working Jessica?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jessicaxxx

Solihull if that's any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

jessicaxxx wrote: »

Hi Jessica!

I am from Brum originally. Selly Oak is a bit of a chav town, Edgbaston is more up market and Bournville is probably the most middle class area.

If you want more info, feel free to send me a message.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I used to live in Acocks Green which was nice. There's loads of Irish in Birmingham and there's a few places where Irish people go, you won't have a problem following the GAA anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Then south-east of the city might be best. Solihull itself will probably be expensive but Hall Green, Acocks Green, Sheldon, Yardley are perfect. If you're on a tight budget then nearer the city (e.g. Small Heath) would be cheaper but pretty run-down these days.

There's a pretty lively Irish pub/music scene around Digbeth but maybe you're wanting away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

silentrust wrote: »
    Hi Jessica!

I am from Brum originally. Selly Oak is a bit of a chav town, Edgbaston is more up market and Bournville is probably the most middle class area.

If you want more info, feel free to send me a message.

Can't agree with you about Selly Oak. Northfield, Longbridge or Pershore road are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Stechford is not bad or Shard End.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Then south-east of the city might be best. Solihull itself will probably be expensive but Hall Green, Acocks Green, Sheldon, Yardley are perfect. If you're on a tight budget then nearer the city (e.g. Small Heath) would be cheaper but pretty run-down these days.

There's a pretty lively Irish pub/music scene around Digbeth but maybe you're wanting away from that.

Yes Small Heath is very dilapidated plus it is home to the evil nemesis of us Villa fans - Birmingham city.

Acocks Green is lovely.

Whoes us Paleface.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Whoes us Paleface.

You're right technically I should say, "We Villa fans." :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I used to go to St. Andrews, thankfully they were in the Premiership at the time.

I have yo say Blues fan here.
    I used to stay in Erdington Slade Road many moons ago but not good for transport to Solihul hence Stechford & Shard end

I have yo say Blues fan here.
    I used to stay in Erdington Slade Road many moons ago but not good for transport to Solihul hence Stechford & Shard end

I used to work in the airport and used to get the buz to Yardley and then the 900, took 45 mins, I eventually got a mountain bike and it took me half and hour, I lived closer to Olton.

I used to go to St. Andrews, thankfully they were in the Premiership at the time.

Why stop we all have share the pain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Solihull is pretty nice itself!
    Brum is very good once you make the effort to get to know it! Something for everyone, avoid broad street when your out in city centre and you should be fine :-)

gucci wrote: »
    Solihull is pretty nice itself!

It sure is, but you couldn't live there on a budget.

It sure is, but you couldn't live there on a budget.

I remember being a student there back in '05, rent as part of a house share was £44 a week, food £24 a week, those were the days... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hi guys, I'm moving to Birmingham for an indefinite amount of time until probably the 7th-14th of September, so I'm just posting here as a heads-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

People don't go to Birmingham for the scenery, but the Brummies are quite an affable and friendly lot, you're well away from the miserable and mean spirited 'sahrf east' mentality that afflicts Outer London and the Home Counties.

Places like Lichfield, Solihull or Sutton Coldfield are the leafiest and most affluent parts if your budget can stretch to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

dd972 wrote: »
    People don't go to Birmingham for the scenery, but the Brummies are quite an affable and friendly lot, you're well away from the miserable and mean spirited 'sahrf east' mentality that afflicts Outer London and the Home Counties.

Places like Lichfield, Solihull or Sutton Coldfield are the leafiest and most affluent parts if your budget can stretch to them.

Lichfield is about a 35min train journey to the city if/when it runs. London Midland used constantly cancel trains last year at short notice and terminate at Four Oaks necessitating commuters to wait over an hour in certain cases to continue their journey to Lichfield. The latest excuse was that they hadnt enough train drivers :rolleyes:

Lichfield in itself is grand dont expect it to be a lively spot, leafy suburbs but you pay a premium and a higher council tax. Its considered a "city" due to the number of cathedrals it has and lacks many amenities.

I gave a trip to Sutton Coldfield last year the suburbs of the town has some nice houses but the city center was drab and looked dirty. Wouldnt be a spot I would pick anyway.

• Advertisement

The OP will be working in Solihull - I don't imagine Sutton Coldfield or Lichfield are options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I live in Sutton myself, it's a good 20min/half an hour drive to Solihull, but can be longer or shorter depending on traffic, obviously.

So long as you avoid the inner suburbs, you'll be fine. Solihull itself is a fairly affluent place, lots of nice houses, but is a fairly pricey place to live. (Heads up - anyone who pronounces it as 'Soul-ee Hull' is a prick). A lot of Irish moved out to there from the inner suburbs.

There's a great organisation called Irish in Birmingham which would be able to help you out with anything you need.

brummytom wrote: »
    (Heads up - anyone who pronounces it as 'Soul-ee Hull' is a prick).

That's how we pronounced it in Sheldon :) How do you pronounce it?

Why do peeps in Shirley think they live in Solihul

Why do peeps in Shirley think they live in Solihul

Or SHUR-lay as we see in da Brum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

That's how we pronounced it in Sheldon :) How do you pronounce it?
    Solly-hull ;)

Souley Hull

Souley Hull

Since we're on the topic, I had to go to a speech therapist for two years after living too long in Birmingham, in order to get back to speaking the Queen's English. The trouble with the Brum accent is that it has a way of creeping up on you... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 marilynhappy

Hello all. Joining this thread late in the day. I am doing an interview for work near Birmingham...is it a nice place? Does anyone have experience of relocating there? Did you find it easy to get to know people as an Irish person relocating? All opinions welcome!!

• Advertisement

Hello all. Joining this thread late in the day. I am doing an interview for work near Birmingham...is anyone have experience of relocating there? Did you find it easy to get to know people as an Irish person relocating? All opinions welcome!!

Marilyn, I lived in Birmingham for 24 years. The city has been welcoming Irish emigrants for a long time now. There's a big Irish community, but the Brummies are as welcoming as any.

There are many factors to consider before moving over of course. You'd need a bit of advice about areas to live - the city has a lot of rough edges and there are areas that you would be better off avoiding. A lot depends on the job, should you get it and where it is situated.

It's fine. Don't be put off by those that will tell you otherwise without having ever been there.

Advertisement