Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***History Exam Wed***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Slightly freaking out for this, even though I got 95% in the mocks I feel like I haven't covered enough WW2 stuff and Irish Politics from the 60's onwards :(

Me and you, on the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

I still need to revise WWII tonight. Hopefully I'll pick it up easily, as I've gone over it a couple of times before.

History is one of the worst exams for me. The information I learn comes out of my head as fast as it goes in. I have revised different history sections over the past couple of weeks, but I forget a lot of it at this stage. I find it difficult to keep all the people in history essays and various accounts in an organised structure inside my frantic little mind. It makes revision the day before the exam that bit harder, as I have no choice but to do a final rundown over the whole course to familiarize myself with everything again. Can't wait 'til the exam is over tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I got 79% in the mocks and so I am ****ting it. I really want to do well and do it for LC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I still need to revise WWII tonight. Hopefully I'll pick it up easily, as I've gone over it a couple of times before.

History is one of the worst exams for me. The information I learn comes out of my head as fast as it goes in. I have revised different history sections over the past couple of weeks, but I forget a lot of it at this stage. I find it difficult to keep all the people in history essays and various accounts in an organised structure inside my frantic little mind. It makes revision the day before the exam that bit harder, as I have no choice but to do a final rundown over the whole course to familiarize myself with everything again. Can't wait 'til the exam is over tomorrow.

Don't worry about organised structure. Write down the facts that you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

This is what I think will come up

TWO OF THE 2011 PEOPLE IN HISTORY WILL COME UP TOMORROW EXCEPT JUST DON'T BOTHER WITH A NAMED LEADER IN A STRUGGLE FOR IRISH INDEPENDENCE FROM 2011 BUT THE OTHER 5 will come up(99% SURE)

An Irish plantation and its effect on religion, political control, language and custom / Conflict between European powers as a result of the voyages/ something from the 2008 Revolutionary movements question. FOR QUESTION 5

FOR SOCIAL CHANG, TRANSPORT/SPORT AND LEISURE/ WOMEN'S LIVES

OR COMMUNICATIONS, EDUCATION, HOUSING, RELIGION.

AND If a WW2 event comes up, It will be Operation Overlord or Operation Barbarossa and if not those then Battle of Britain.

And finally for the short answer questions on International Relations and Social Change that come up in QUESTION 6 learn off previous ones from 2008-2011. E.g. GIVE TWO REASONS TO ACCOUNT FOR GERMAN SUCCESS IN WW2 UP TO MAY 1940 OR EXPLAIN MAIGNOT LINE, VICHY FRANCE, THREE CHANGES IN AGRI LIFE SINCE 1930s.

If you learn off these patterns and they come up then you will definitely get an A. I myself didn't learn all of my Social Change predicted accounts or Q5 predictions becauseI just couldn't be bothered but if my predictions do come up, I'll be happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

This is what I think will come up

TWO OF THE 2011 PEOPLE IN HISTORY WILL COME UP TOMORROW EXCEPT JUST DON'T BOTHER WITH A NAMED LEADER IN A STRUGGLE FOR IRISH INDEPENDENCE FROM 2011 BUT THE OTHER 5 will come up(99% SURE)

An Irish plantation and its effect on religion, political control, language and custom / Conflict between European powers as a result of the voyages/ something from the 2008 Revolutionary movements question. FOR QUESTION 5

FOR SOCIAL CHANG, TRANSPORT/SPORT AND LEISURE/ WOMEN'S LIVES

OR COMMUNICATIONS, EDUCATION, HOUSING, RELIGION.

AND If a WW2 event comes up, It will be Operation Overlord or Operation Barbarossa and if not those then Battle of Britain.

And finally for the short answer questions on International Relations and Social Change that come up in QUESTION 6 learn off previous ones from 2008-2011. E.g. GIVE TWO REASONS TO ACCOUNT FOR GERMAN SUCCESS IN WW2 UP TO MAY 1940 OR EXPLAIN MAIGNOT LINE, VICHY FRANCE, THREE CHANGES IN AGRI LIFE SINCE 1930s.

If you learn off these patterns and they come up then you will definitely get an A. I myself didn't learn all of my Social Change predicted accounts or Q5 predictions becauseI just couldn't be bothered but if my predictions do come up, I'll be happy
    How about Q6 A? I think reformation will be up for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Can someone help me ! Im just aiming for a c/b ,what will I learn for q.4 onwards that will keep me covered thx !!!

For People in History, learn a few important essays such as a reformer, an explorer, a monk, a Renaissance artist etc. The Q.5 documents often focus on causes/results, so learn those for the reformation, explorations, plantations, revolutions etc. For one of the Q.6's, go over WWII or Social Changes or Irish Politics (whatever you're best at), and hopefully your 1st and 2nd year stuff will cover you for the other question.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

How about Q6 A? I think reformation will be up for that one.

Personally, I think it is much easier doing Social Change because the accounts are easy to predict and the shorter questions for it on Q6 are pretty repetitive so you can get full marks on it by studying the 2008-2011 Social change short answer questions. don't learn off the 2012 ones though. And remember that if you can't answer them, check the marking schemes,they have everything for every short question on Q6

Personally, I think it is much easier doing Social Change because the accounts are easy to predict and the shorter questions for it on Q6 are pretty repetitive so you can get full marks on it by studying the 2008-2011 Social change short answer questions. don't learn off the 2012 ones though. And remember that if you can't answer them, check the marking schemes,they have everything for every short question on Q6
    I hate social change in Ireland ... I hate Irish history ... that's why i'm not going to bother studying any of it besides the plantations :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I hate social change in Ireland ... I hate Irish history ... that's why i'm not going to bother studying any of it besides the plantations :D.

Unless you have properly studied social change, avoid it. It's always really badly answered as people think they can spoof.

From the Chief Examiner's report:

Despite its popularity, responses to the social change option were frequently
    disappointing. Examiners noted some vagueness and repetition in many responses, as many candidates failed to demonstrate a grasp of
    the concept of social change and merely gave a static picture of Irish society at some unspecified point in the twentieth century.

The average score was in the low grade C range (14.4 marks or 57.6%). Social change is integral to the syllabus and this type of question has appeared on previous papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

If you don't study it, you won't get an A :P

If you don't study it, you won't get an A :P
    I got 83% WITHOUT LOOKING AT IRISH HISTORY and even my TOP QUALITY history teacher said you can get an A without studying anything related to Ireland except neolithic and plantations.:cool:

spurious wrote: »
    Unless you have properly studied social change, avoid it. It's always really badly answered as people think they can spoof.

From the Chief Examiner's report:

Despite its popularity, responses to the social change option were frequently
    disappointing. Examiners noted some vagueness and repetition in many responses, as many candidates failed to demonstrate a grasp of
    the concept of social change and merely gave a static picture of Irish society at some unspecified point in the twentieth century.

The average score was in the low grade C range (14.4 marks or 57.6%). Social change is integral to the syllabus and this type of question has appeared on previous papers.
    Thanks for proving my point, this is one of the reasons why I won't touch that section. People think you can waffle and it's common sense, but you need to know a lot more. Section A is all based on facts so much easier to score higher.

List of all possible people in history questions? I think I saw one before, no idea where it has run off to.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    List of all possible people in history questions? I think I saw one before, no idea where it has run off to.
    Go onto fisher's profile, latest posts, page two, and should be somewhere there :cool:.

Go onto fisher's profile, latest posts, page two, and should be somewhere there :cool:.

You allergic to links or something? :P

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    You allergic to links or something? :P
    The effort of opening a new window, searching boards.ie ... and finding it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Link me plz! :)

Time to start studying WWII... can't put it off any longer. Still have French to study.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

Would you people suggest following the layout of the exam?

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    No. Do short questions first, then Q6, then Q4, then Q5, then Q3 and pictures last. I did this and had time left over to re-read on mocks, it works. My friend followed the exam layout and he ran outa time because he spent too long on the less important sections.

I always tell my students to take a few minutes just to have a look at the 'long' questions, choose which ones they want to do and then, if they like, start with the big ones.

If you are prone to running out of time, better miss a few of the short questions than one of the big mark ones.

Just absolutely double check you answer the right number of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

No. Do short questions first, then Q6, then Q4, then Q5, then Q3 and pictures last. I did this and had time left over to re-read on mocks, it works. My friend followed the exam layout and he ran outa time because he spent too long on the less important sections.
    Q3 is short questions?

My teacher told me to start with question 6. I did that in the mocks and I was a bit of a dis-organised mess during the whole exam. That may have partially been due to the loose sheets of A4 paper we had, in comparison to the handy booklet available for the JC. However, I think I may look through the paper quickly, choose my questions, and then start at the beginning. The order of questions doesn't really matter; just ensure that you stick to your time plan.

Q3 is short questions?
    Oh, my bad. I meant Q2 :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

I think I am going to do Q4, Q6, Q5, Q3 and then Q1 + 2

Does that seem like a good order..? :P
    I think it will work for me anyhow

Whatever works for you is a good order. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

What is definite to come up in Q4 and Q6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Do you think I'll be covered for People In History if I know reformer, artist, plantation, serf/ freeman, leader (e.g. Michael Collins),Lady of the Manor or Archaeologist? Anything else I should take a look at?

Advertisement