Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest human remains in Ireland

Options
  • 07-06-2013 10:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27

What's the oldest human remains that have been found in Ireland and where ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Had a new thread created for your question since it had nothing to do with the Triceratops thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

"Since 1750 over 80 bog bodies have been found in Irish
    bogs. Many of these are thought to have been buried in
    the bog after ritual sacrifice. Two examples are ‘Croghan
    Man’ and ‘Clonycavan Man’. ‘Croghan Man’ was found
    in a bog in Offaly in June 2003. He lived in the Iron Age
    and is thought to have died somewhere between 362
    BC and 175 BC, making his body over 2,000 years old!
    Even the contents of his stomach were preserved so we
    can tell that his last meal was wheat and buttermilk.
    ‘Clonycavan Man’ was found in a bog in Meath in
    March 2003. He also lived in the Iron Age and his body
    is around 2,300 years old. He is best known for having
    gel in his hair. The gel was keeping his hair in a Mohawk
    style. This may have helped him to look taller as he
    was only 5ft 2in. The gel was made of plant oil and
    pine resin, which would have been imported from either
    Spain or France. This shows that Ireland was trading
    with southern Europe over 2,000 years ago!"

Extract from:
    http://www.developmenteducation.ie/media/documents/Nature's_Way_PEATLANDS.pdf

I'm pretty sure the Clonycavan Man is the oldest found in recent history but I may be incorrect, I remember reading something in History class for the Leaving Cert if I am correct, again, its been many a year since my leaving cert so again, I may be incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Oldest I'm aware of is the burial sites in Hermitage county Limerick, which date back to aprox. 7,500 -7,200 BC.

http://www.culturalheritageireland.ie/index.php/irelands-top-100-heritage-discoveries/81-irelands-top-100-heritage-discoveries/171-irelands-oldest-burials

Mount Sandel in Co. Derry is older but I don't think there are any human remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Ziphius wrote: »
    Oldest I'm aware of is the burial sites in Hermitage county Limerick, which date back to aprox. 7,500 -7,200 BC.

http://www.culturalheritageireland.ie/index.php/irelands-top-100-heritage-discoveries/81-irelands-top-100-heritage-discoveries/171-irelands-oldest-burials

Mount Sandel in Co. Derry is older but I don't think there are any human remains.

Possibly Killuragh Cave or else Hermitage as mentioned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2010/july/ancient-britons-were-earliest-northern-europeans72335.html
    Ancient humans lived in Britain more than 800,000 years ago, making them the earliest northern Europeans, scientists report in the journal Nature today.
    happisburgh-map-200-72430-1.jpg

So I'd guess there were humans here a long time ago since there were lower sea levels. And don't forget that the glaciers and erosion would have removed a lot of coast and older land bridges and islands.

Edit more background http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/ancient.htm inc land bridge up to 10,000 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0620/457766-snails-ireland/
    Scientists believe a genetic similarity between snail fossils found in Ireland and the eastern Pyrenees suggests humans migrated from southern Europe to Ireland 8,000 years ago.
    "If the snails naturally colonised Ireland, you would expect to find some of the same genetic type in other areas of Europe, especially Britain. We just don't find them.

"The highways of the past were rivers and the ocean, as the river that flanks the Pyrenees was an ancient trade route to the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hiberni

Ziphuis the oldest site in Ireland is near the river Shannon in southern Ireland . 500 years before mount sandel . .river shanon oldest site in Ireland .

mount sandel is 9,000 years old . site at shannon is 9,500 hundred years old but considering it's location there must be older sties in southern Ireland . :eek::o:D:confused:

Approximately 9,000 years ago, a small band of Mesolithic hunter-gathers chose a high ridge over-looking the River Bann in modern day Co. Derry as their home. Here, in a forest clearing, they erected a series of tent-like structures, fashioned out of wooden posts and covered in hides or thatch.

On a bend of the River Shannon, Ireland’s largest watercourse, a small band of hunter-gathers came to together nearly 9,500 years ago, to bury one of their own. At what is now known as Hermitage, Co. Limerick, they placed the remains of a man upon a large funerary pyre. It was then lit and afterwards the cremated bone was carefully gathered together and placed within a small pit, marked by a wooden post. Over the following years two more burials were added to this small cemetery and thus Ireland’s oldest-known graveyard was founded.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Yes, that appears to be the case -- the Shannon site does predate Mount Sandel by a few hundred years. Can't remember where I got the information for my original post.

well you know what they say histroy is not wriiten in stone . just don't believe everthing you read online :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Please, please, please, let me find a Levallois point in my travels. I swear Santa, I'll be very very extra good. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

k :P i see . and was your father santa as well . so your into santa :D

Advertisement