Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Collar vs Harness

• 08-06-2013 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I just wondered if any of you use dog harnesses, like this instead of using the collar to attach the lead?

Apparently it puts less pressure on the dog when walking and stops them pulling and choking on the lead and they walk at your pace.

I'm also wondering is it the type of thing you only put on them when walking. If so, do you bother with the dog collar anymore?

Would anyone using something like this please give me their 2c on whether they find it better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I've used a harness with my guy, however be weary that if you have a puller some harnesses do encourage them to pull even more, my fella is terrible with any harness. Lots of people use them as they aren't putting pressure on the trachea, serious pullers have been know to do damage to themselves.

Also I would still use a collar regardless of what I was using just to have his tag on him, it's the law and it could reunite your dog with you if ever went missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I always use a front attach harness (minimises pulling) and use the collar for his tags ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have a problem with both,if I use a harness my young English bully pulls me all over the place,if I use a collar,he slips it as his neck is as wide as his head,must be a answer,but I do not know what it is,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

getz wrote: »
    i have a problem with both,if I use a harness my young English bully pulls me all over the place,if I use a collar,he slips it as his neck is as wide as his head,must be a answer,but I do not know what it is,

there is.

this guy makes stuff specifically for bull breeds.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strong-Stuff-Heavy-Duty-Dog-Gear/220294179318?fref=ts

there is.

this guy makes stuff specifically for bull breeds.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strong-Stuff-Heavy-Duty-Dog-Gear/220294179318?fref=ts
    yes I got one of those off QVC,the guy walking the bullies said that without them he could never have walked bulldogs ,it just doesent work with mine,his neck is so solid he just ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

yes I got one of those off QVC,the guy walking the bullies said that without them he could never have walked bulldogs ,it just doesent work with mine,his neck is so solid he just ignored it.

wasnt a strongstuff collar if it came off QVC. Aaron only makes them to order and sells privately. must have been some other collar you bought.

Have you tried a front attach harness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A harness like that won't stop a dog from pulling; if anything it'll make it easier to pull. However, it will stop the dog from damaging its neck when it pulls, but it's not a replacement for training.

I use a harness on my pair. Neither of them pull, but Tegan likes to keep the lead taut. Their collars only go on now when I take them out, because their tags are on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Herrick wrote: »
    I just wondered if any of you use dog harnesses, like this instead of using the collar to attach the lead?

Apparently it puts less pressure on the dog when walking and stops them pulling and choking on the lead and they walk at your pace.

I'm also wondering is it the type of thing you only put on them when walking. If so, do you bother with the dog collar anymore?

Would anyone using something like this please give me their 2c on whether they find it better.

I take it that the lead attaches to that harness on the dogs back behind his shoulders..if it does I have one similar..my spaniel was a terrible puller and my daughter was having trouble walking him so we bought a harness like that, it did improve things a piece, however I continued with a normal gundog type slip lead around his neck and I can now walk him on a loose lead just about perfectly..it takes patience ..the harness is a good job overall but you will find that you will still have to work on the pulling as it isnt a cure all if you get me..

tk123 wrote: »
    Have you tried a front attach harness?
    tried them all on this dog,in the passed I have had three bullies and three staffies,all pulling dogs,but this one has been the hardest to walk,i have had four different harness types with very little effect,at the end of the day I have ended up with a very expensive heavy leather one ,it doesent stop the dog pulling but it will not snap,

• Advertisement

Hey OP they have fakey puppia type (like the one in your link) in Dealz if you still want to try them ;)

Advertisement