Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap-ish UltraLight Solo Tent ?

Options
  • 08-06-2013 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello Friends :cool: any recommendation on decent lightweight solo tent? I'm not looking to spend over 100 euro so something under 100e that could stand against bit of rain for several days. I did little bit of research on the Internet but come up with mixed reviews. is Coleman good brand? Vango,Alpkit etc...

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's the Gelert solo. Weighs 1.5kg. It's a grand tent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

For better brands you'll be spending more than 100 for a good, lightweight, tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

Thank you so much guys :)

Orion wrote: »
    There's the Gelert solo. Weighs 1.5kg. It's a grand tent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

For better brands you'll be spending more than 100 for a good, lightweight, tent.

i just checked it out. 1500mm hydrostatic head is that ok to stand against lil bit windy rain for several hours? im not an expert in such stuff just wondering. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

It's a bit over your budget but it's a dinger, I'm only back from Sweden and this was great. Even had one night where it bucketed down and it was perfect.

You can get it up in less than 2 mins (with a few runs) and get it down and packed in 4.

It's light at 1.2kg but has enough room for you to sit and kneel comfortably as well as lots of space for gear.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/WF106.html

In any case the looking is half the fun!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Mac2010 wrote: »
    i just checked it out. 1500mm hydrostatic head is that ok to stand against lil bit windy rain for several hours? im not an expert in such stuff just wondering. :P

I have a Gelert Solo and the answer is no. It's not good enough for wet winter weather, and it's too small to get into or out of without getting you and the interior soaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If you use walking poles I'd strongly recommend upping your budget to get a Black Diamond Beta Bug combined with either the BD Light, BD Mid or what I have which is the MSR Twin Peak sil-nylon tarp. You can then mix and match to suit any weather year 'round. Light enough to take on any solo trips, very stable in wind and good enough for winter snow use too.

thank you to everyone who replied:) I'm looking for lightweight tent that could stand against 2 days continious rain and has room for 1 person and 65L backpack. thats all i need. i had a cheap 2 person tent by easycamp a couple of years ago that cost me 32 quid and was great. did 3 days wild camping with a friend and it stood well.since then i m convinced that some cheap tents are decent enough. im not that serious mountaineer and backpacker. just have my random few days wild camping in the wild ONCE in a WHILE :D seriously im not looking for something over 100 euro as im an amateur :pac: will be using the tent in Ireland or England where wet weather is common. and again thanks for all the input guys ! Appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

From here, the Wild Country Zephyros 1 is slightly over your budget at £99.00 + £18.00 delivery from UK to Ireland.

3,000 HH -this will keep out the rain.

Weight 1.57kg.

Space in porch for backpack.

Good review from Live for the Outdoors.

From here, the Wild Country Zephyros 1 is slightly over your budget at £99.00 + £18.00 delivery from UK to Ireland.

3,000 HH -this will keep out the rain.

Weight 1.57kg.

Space in porch for backpack.

Good review from Live for the Outdoors.

Use parcel motel and get free delivery.

• Advertisement

Never thought of that.

Parcel Motel looks to be €3.50 for delivery.

Sweeeet.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Donny5 wrote: »
    I have a Gelert Solo and the answer is no. It's not good enough for wet winter weather, and it's too small to get into or out of without getting you and the interior soaked.

Have to say, I've had a solo out in all kinds of weather and never had problems with the rain.

It is VERY small though. At 6ft2 I can just about fit, lying on top of the rucksack... porch is really only big enough for boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

dquirke1 wrote: »
    Have to say, I've had a solo out in all kinds of weather and never had problems with the rain.

It is VERY small though. At 6ft2 I can just about fit, lying on top of the rucksack... porch is really only big enough for boots.

I don't know how you did it, but if you did, fair play. I'm 180cm and it's nowhere near big enough for me when the wind's up, and getting in and out is impossible in the rain without getting everything soaked. On top of that, you can't change into dry-gear inside, or do any personal admin. It also only has mozzy nets, not midge nets.

I gather my experience was very different from yours, but I wouldn't rate it above the kid's tent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Its fairly tight fit alright :D

Spent 8 nights on the mountains last november though and got on fine :)
    Guess it depends on what you're looking for though. The solo is really only a place to sleep and nothing else...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Top reviews for that tent.

Top rated ebay seller as well.

At 2kgs, it's light, but not ultralight. But at £49.99 + p&P, it's extremely good value for money.

You don't need room for your rucksack in a small tent. Bring a good quality bivvy bag, put your rucksack in it and leave it outside the tent.

thinking about purchasing vango banshee 200. need to see it first though. porch space etc :D

Advertisement