Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Accounts :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Andrewethridge

Hey,
    If you look at the exam papers a person from industrial Britain comes up 2 years in a row, then doesn't the next year, then goes another 2 in a row so on so forth. So this means that this year,a person during the agricultural revolution is going to come up, Correct?(q4)

Also, did anyone here get an A? How many people in histories did you study, and how long did you do them... My teacher says 2 pages is the right length? But on examit and in shortcuts to success they are about 3/4 of a page to 1 page(a4)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Hey,
    If you look at the exam papers a person from industrial Britain comes up 2 years in a row, then doesn't the next year, then goes another 2 in a row so on so forth. So this means that this year,a person during the agricultural revolution is going to come up, Correct?(q4)

Also, did anyone here get an A? How many people in histories did you study, and how long did you do them... My teacher says 2 pages is the right length? But on examit and in shortcuts to success they are about 3/4 of a page to 1 page(a4)?

I got an A in the mock, 87%. I learnt about 20 and my essays on Martin Luther and Columbus were about 1 1/2 pages each.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junior cert1997

I got an A 94% I learnt about 15 essays and mine were about 2 to 2 and a half pages lOng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I got an A 94% I learnt about 15 essays and mine were about 2 to 2 and a half pages lOng

Oh la-di-da 94% :P ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You're writing WAY more than is needed for those questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 shadowgunner14

I got 39/40 in q.4 in the mocks , both were just over 1 page

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

spurious wrote: »
    You're writing WAY more than is needed for those questions.

Okay well for example 'Operation Overlord' Am I writing to little/too much here? Like what is enough :P I am aiming for an A in History so I want to make sure I am writing enough, but there's no pointing learning buckets of info if I am not going to get anymore marks

Operation Overlord
    • Stalin demanded the Allies open a second front in the west of Europe
    • Allies (US and Britain) selected the Normandy coast for invasion, surprised Germans who expected an attack at Calais
    • General Eisenhower gave the order to attack on the 6th of June 1944
    • Known as D-Day
    • Thousands of alied planes bombed the German deference – part of the Atlantic wall which Hitler had built
    • Dropped paratroopers behind enemy lines
    • Soldiers landed at 5 code-named beaches eg. Utah, Juno
    • Allies built a pipeline under the ocean (PLUTO) to supply oil
    • Protected by English and American aeroplanes who later advanced towards Paris
    • Allies suffered a setback at Battle of the Bulge but German advance was quickly halted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For the people in History question, the marking scheme says:

Marks: CM Max = 16
    [Content Guide: 2M x 8 = 16]
    OM Max = 4
    Use the following scale when awarding OM:
    VERY GOOD
    = 4M; GOOD
    = 3M; FAIR
    = 2M; POOR = 1M
    A very good answer gets 4 OM – it does not have to be excellent.
    Award 1 OM for correctly identifying the topic

So 8 good SRSs ('Significant relevant statements') would do.
    'Leonardo painted the Mona Lisa' is an SRS.

Last time Overlord was asked, this was the marking scheme:

Mark on SRS principle [Max CM = 8M Max OM = 2M]
    OM: 2M = very good / good; 1M = fair /poor ; 0 mark = very poor
    (a)
    Treat developments in the World War up to German troops entering
    France as ‘background’, i.e., 1SRS.
    (b) Treat events up to, and including, Dunkirk as ‘background, i.e. 1SRS max.
    (c) Treat pre-war as background, i.e., 1SRS max.
    (d) Treat details of the war up to 6 June 1944 as ‘background’, i.e., 1SRS max.
    but preparations for the Normandy landings are an integral part of the
    topic.

So, FOUR SRSs were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

spurious wrote: »
    For the people in History question, the marking scheme says:

Marks: CM Max = 16
    [Content Guide: 2M x 8 = 16]
    OM Max = 4
    Use the following scale when awarding OM:
    VERY GOOD
    = 4M; GOOD
    = 3M; FAIR
    = 2M; POOR = 1M
    A very good answer gets 4 OM – it does not have to be excellent.
    Award 1 OM for correctly identifying the topic

So 8 good SRSs ('Significant relevant statements') would do.
    'Leonardo painted the Mona Lisa' is an SRS.

Last time Overlord was asked, this was the marking scheme:

Mark on SRS principle [Max CM = 8M Max OM = 2M]
    OM: 2M = very good / good; 1M = fair /poor ; 0 mark = very poor
    (a)
    Treat developments in the World War up to German troops entering
    France as ‘background’, i.e., 1SRS.
    (b) Treat events up to, and including, Dunkirk as ‘background, i.e. 1SRS max.
    (c) Treat pre-war as background, i.e., 1SRS max.
    (d) Treat details of the war up to 6 June 1944 as ‘background’, i.e., 1SRS max.
    but preparations for the Normandy landings are an integral part of the
    topic.

So, FOUR SRSs were needed.

Okay thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 enutrofnnelle

anyone have any good notes on irish history i am totally lost!i understood it when we were doing it but now i am totally confused!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wiefi

It's my worst area in History but I can try to post some notes later tonight c:

Does anyone else still end up writing way more than you're supposed to? It's more or less become a total habit for me but at least it'll do me some good next year;;

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SuperMattDude

Anyone have a cold war account please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Does anyone think Columbus will come up for q4?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

They never ask for a specific person's name, but yes, an Explorer could easily come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

MJ434 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Columbus will come up for q4?

I am fairly sure it will come up because of a pattern I discovered from 2009-2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

Anyone have a cold war account please ?

A good example of a major Cold War crisis is the Berlin Blockade.After World War 2, Germany was divided into two parts. East Germany came under the control of the USSR. Britain, France and the USA controlled West Germany. The city of Berlin was in the USSR zone but it was also divided into East and West. The western part of Berlin began to benefit from the effects of the Marshall Plan and a new stronger currency was also introduced in that part of the city. Stalin and the Communists were not happy about this and in 1948 Stalin set up a blockade of all the roads and railways leading into West Berlin. His goal was to have all of the city of Berlin under USSR control and to drive the Allies out of the West Berlin. The USA and the other allies decided that this should not be allowed. For a period of nearly 11 months, all the supplies needed by the people in West Berlin were airlifted into the area by the USA. Huge transport planes were used and everything from medicine to fuel was flown into West Berlin. A very tense situation developed between the USA and the USSR. Eventually Stalin was forced to call off the blockade and the city of Berlin remained a divided city up until the late 1980s. As a result of the Blockade, a special military alliance called NATO was created by the USA and their allies. The USSR also set up a military alliance of countries from Eastern Europe called the Warsaw Pact.

Korean War
    During WWII Korea had been invaded by the Japanese and when the war ended the country was divided into two parts. A communist government took control of North Korea and a pro-USA government was created in South Korea. In 1950 the North Koreans invaded the South and made rapid advances. The UN had an emergency meeting and agreed to send troops from a number of different countries but under the command of the USA. General MacArthur and his US troops arrived and drove the North Koreans out of the South. Both the USSR and China were sympathetic towards North Korea because all three were communist. Both countries sent military equipment and troops to help North Korea. Fierce fighting took place between both sides and at one stage General MacArthur wanted to use the atomic bomb against China. President Truman of the USA was totally opposed to this and he sacked MacArthur. The fighting continued until 1953 when a settlement was reached to accept the border created after WWII as the dividing line between North Korea and South Korea.

CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS
    (b) John F. Kennedy was the President of the USA in the early 1960s. He was totally opposed to the spread of Communism and a crisis erupted involving the island of Cuba, which was very close to the USA mainland. In the early 1960s, Cuba had become a Communist state and was led by Fidel Castro. Cuba began to develop close ties with the USSR and this caused problems for the new USA President, John F. Kennedy. In 1962 a USA spy plane took photos of a missile launch site being built in Cuba. This caused mass panic in the USA. Also ships from the USSR were heading in the direction of Cuba with what looked like parts of missiles. President Kennedy ordered a blockade to be set up to prevent these ships getting to Cuba. This created a very tense situation and many people were certain it could lead to a nuclear war between the USA and the USSR. After a few days, both sides backed down and a deal was made, which put an end to a very dangerous situation.

I didn't type these out BTW because I'm not that psychotic, I got these from e-xamit.ie from the EDCO Exam Papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Masterful Sponge

I am fairly sure it will come up because of a pattern I discovered from 2009-2012.

Never trust patterns, it may seem like a good idea when studying, and it might come up. But don't think it will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 9 w.hussain

hi guys, can anyone of u kindly answer this question (s) for me please!! :)

1:The impact of the american war of independence on france.
    2:The influnce of the french revolution on ireland.
    3:the concequences of the unsuccesssful of 1798, in ireland.

Thank you very much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Well I'm very un-prepared for the History Exam and I'm expecting an A, so I'm wondering does anyone have good notes on there computer for all the people in history accounts or at least a good few, I'd really appreciate if you could either PM me them or make a thread and post the link here.

With the correct number of SRS's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 3yearstudent98

So you're unprepared yet expecting an A..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Unprepared for my people in history accounts, I'm good at cramming, I just need them quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 3yearstudent98

If you have the footsteps in time book look at the mini projects at the end of each chapter!!

w.hussain wrote: »
    hi guys, can anyone of u kindly answer this question (s) for me please!! :)

1:The impact of the american war of independence on france.
    2:The influnce of the french revolution on ireland.
    3:the concequences of the unsuccesssful of 1798, in ireland.

Thank you very much!!

Off the top of my head,

-French involvement in the American war of independence led to great debt in France
    -This would later lead to the French Revolution and King Louis' execution
    -French generals involved in the American war of independence such as the Marquis de Lafeyette would later help lead the French Revolution
    -It was these generals that brought home ideas of independence and revolution

-Wolfe Tone was greatly inspired by the French Revolution
    -He went to France to ask for help in preparation for the Irish revolution
    -Wolfe Tone was inspired by the French ideas of Liberty,Equality and Fraternity
    -They hoped that they could break free from British rule and set up a republic like France

-Around 30,000 people died
    -Bitter divisions created between Catholics and Protestants
    -Act of Union passed in which the parliament in Dublin was moved to Westminster and directly ruled from there
    -Tone became known as the father of Republicanism

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Masterful Sponge

Anything relating to these history questions, also feel free to ask and answer any questions relating to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Monaghan hardy lawd

Got 92%, I didn't study hard for the pres and I got lucky with the people in histories.

thanks mate!!

curious to know, will the examiner dock marks if you wrote an ACCOUNT in bullet points. i have heard from a few that the do but im not sure.
    can anyone help me out here? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Ah, thanks! I knew defcon 4 didn't sound right ><. I guess america was also on defcon 2 during 9/11? :)

Nope. Only in the cuban missile crisis ;D
    9/11 was defcon 3

curious to know, will the examiner dock marks if you wrote an ACCOUNT in bullet points. i have heard from a few that the do but im not sure.

I've heard it's a pretty bad idea. Best to stick to paragraphs and full sentences c:

• Advertisement

I've heard it's a pretty bad idea. Best to stick to paragraphs and full sentences c:

Advertisement