Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Accounts :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Anybody have some quick notes on the Emergency? Can't force the chapter into my brain:( thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wiefi

I'm studying revolutions tomorrow but I'll post what I can now c:
    I hope that people are finding these helpful ^^;;

A Revolutionary Leader (George Washington - People in History)

-Owned a tobacco plantation in Virginia. He was married to the widow, Martha Dandridge.
    -Washington was chosen to represent Virginia during the Contintential Congress. There he was chosen to be the general of the Continential army to fight against the British
    -Lexington and Concord were the first incidents of the war. They used guerrilla tactics(hit and run) to ambush British troops
    -Paul Revere rode his horse through the night to warn the army that the British were coming
    -Washington was forced to spend a winter in Valley Forge with his army. There many soldiers abandoned because of the harsh conditions and lack of food and supplies
    -Washington experienced defeat at the Battle of New York. He experienced victory at the Battles of Trenton and Princeton.
    -The Battle of Saratoga was a major turning point of the war
    -Washington signed the Declaration of Independence which declared that 'all men are created equal'
    -Washington became the first president of the USA and later retired to Mount Vernon

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dodo97

thank you! please keep them coming:)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Anybody have some quick notes on the Emergency? Can't force the chapter into my brain:( thanks!

Check your inbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Check your inbox.

Thank you! :) I owe you one!!

• Advertisement

Results of the Age of Revolutions

-Power of the Monarchy was reduced and democracy grew
    -Greater Equality in terms of law,wealth and education
    -The use of physical force to overthrow government became more widespread
    -Growth of armies and conscription introduced

Results of the French Revolution

-The Rise of Napoleon; After the reign of terror Napoleon rose as a war general and successful army leader. He established the French Law System
    -Liberty, Equality and Fraternity; was the slogan of the French Revolution. This slogan spread to other countries such as Ireland and promoted the idea of revolution
    - Influence on Ireland; French revolutionary ideas became popular in Ireland and helped to influence the founding of the United Irishmen. Wolfe Tone was heavily influenced by the French Revolution and asked numerous times of the French government to send troops to Ireland
    -Abolition of Slavery; It was abolished in France but was later introduced during the rise of Napoleon
    -Rise of the Middle Class & Introduction of the Metric System

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jpr57852

If anyone has time, I'd really appreciate some bullet points (around ten) on the following headings: :)

- A monk in early Christian Ireland
    - A monk in a medieval monastery
    - A voyager of exploration (Chris Colombus)
    - A reformer (preferably Jean Calvin)
    - A young person in ancient Rome
    - A Renaissance painter inside Italy
    - A Renaissance painter outside Italy

Thanks very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

jpr57852 wrote: »
    If anyone has time, I'd really appreciate some bullet points (around ten) on the following headings: :)

- A monk in early Christian Ireland
    - A monk in a medieval monastery
    - A voyager of exploration (Chris Colombus)
    - A reformer (preferably Jean Calvin)
    - A young person in ancient Rome
    - A Renaissance painter inside Italy
    - A Renaissance painter outside Italy

Thanks very much!!

is it not John Calvin? Make sure you don't do that the day of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

Psh... who says I can't do Luther and Magellan? Calvin and Columbus are too mainstream.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Psh... who says I can't do Luther and Magellan? Calvin and Columbus are too mainstream.. :rolleyes:

im doing columbus and luther

is it not John Calvin? Make sure you don't do that the day of the exam.
    I think it was originally 'Jean'... The history teacher explained.

jpr57852 wrote: »
    I think it was originally 'Jean'... The history teacher explained.

ok lol id just go with john just in case, you never know who can be correcting your exam they might be strict

ok lol id just go with john just in case, you never know who can be correcting your exam they might be strict
    Yeah I suppose.

It says 'Jean' on the wiki page.

A Rennaissance Artist from Italy

-Leonardo da Vinci was born in Vinchi, Italy during the 1400s
    -He apprenticed under Verrochio but soon became better than his master
    -His works include The Mona Lisa which is a painting of a merchants wife. This painting is now on display in the Louvre museum
    -Another work of his would be The Last Supper
    -He traveled to Florence and worked for Pope Leo X
    -He used techniques such as sfumato and perspective
    -He had a great interest in geology,botany and astronomy
    -He wrote in mirror-writing. It is said that he did this so that people couldn't steal his ideas or that the ink wouldn't smudge as he wrote
    -He was way ahead of his time, sketching ideas of helicopters, military tanks amongst other things
    -He died in France an unhappy man as he felt he did not reach his full potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

You only have to write 8 to 10 pieces of info when doing the people in history question for full marks , that's what are history teacher told us , he corrected the junior cert last year and he said one girl when doing her people in history question she made up a fake renaissance artist and she got 0 marks :'D.

Mary A wrote: »
    You only have to write 8 to 10 pieces of info when doing the people in history question for full marks , that's what are history teacher told us , he corrected the junior cert last year and he said one girl when doing her people in history question she made up a fake renaissance artist and she got 0 marks :'D.

Credit to her for creativity, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

How'd he know it was a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Masterful Sponge

Can anyone please give a people in history account of:

An explorer
    A named irish landowner who lost land in a named plantation
    A named leader involved in a superpower crisis
    A farm labourer during the agriculture revolution
    A named renaissance artist from outside Italy

Anything would greatly help. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

Can anyone please give a people in history account of:

An explorer
    A named irish landowner who lost land in a named plantation
    A named leader involved in a superpower crisis
    A farm labourer during the agriculture revolution
    A named renaissance artist from outside Italy

Anything would greatly help. Thanks

(i) Christopher Columbus
    Christopher Columbus was a famous explorer for Spain but he was born in Italy in the port city of Genoa. As a young man he dreamed of being a sailor and he was very influenced by a book on the travels of Marco Polo to China in which he described all the wonderful things he saw there.

Columbus was convinced the world was round and he decided that he would travel west to reach China and the Indies. First he had to look for sponsorship and he eventually got the support of Queen Isabella of Spain. She helped to fund three ships and Columbus set sail from the port of Palos in Spain in August 1492. Columbus was on board the flagship, which was called the Santa Maria. The other ships were the Nina and the Pinta. The first stop made on the voyage was the Canary Islands in order to make repairs and bring on fresh food supplies.

In September 1492 the three ships sailed west into the Atlantic. After a few weeks of sailing some of the sailors grew nervous and Columbus promised to turn back if they did not reach land within a couple of days. Then in October 1492, the ships reached an island, which Columbus called San Salvador. He called the people who lived there Indians. Columbus spent the following weeks exploring the islands of the region. The flagship sank and the timber was used to build a fort on the island that Columbus called Hispaniola.

In March 1492, Columbus returned to Spain to a hero’s welcome and brought with him some native people as well as products from his travels. Columbus made three more voyages but ended his career in shame as he was arrested for treating the native people with cruelty.

(ii) Life for an Irish landowner during the Ulster Plantation
    My name is Shane Maguire and my life has been completely changed since the arrival in my area of all the new settlers from Scotland and England. This was called the Ulster Plantation. All the changes began after the two most important chiefs in Ulster, O’Neill and O’Donnell, left the country from Lough Swilly because they could not accept English rule. The new King James then decided that they were traitors and that their land should be given to new settlers who would be more loyal and trustworthy. He began to plan a Plantation in Ulster and I lived in Fermanagh.

Three groups of people were given land in Ulster and they were called undertakers, servitors and loyal Irish. I was allowed to rent some land from a man from Scotland who was given 1000 acres of land in my area. Many other Irish people were driven off their land and they spent years carrying out attacks on the new settlers. The man who owns the land came from Scotland and he is a member of the Presbyterian religion. When he came here he built a stone house with a wall around it called a bawn. Many more new settlers arrived and they began to build new towns all over Ulster. These new towns, such as Enniskillen, all had a market square, Protestant churches and a court house. The new settlers also brought new ways of farming to the area and began to grow quite a lot of crops such as wheat and oats. They also introduced a new crop called flax and they made linen from flax. Ulster has completely changed for us now because English is the most spoken language and the law is that of the King of England.

(iii) John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis

John F. Kennedy was the President of the USA in the early 1960s. He was totally opposed to the spread of Communism. Two years after he became President a major Cold War crisis erupted involving the island of Cuba, which was very close to the USA mainland.

In the early 1960s, Cuba had become a Communist state and was led by Fidel Castro. Cuba began to develop close ties with the USSR and this caused problems for the new USA President. Kennedy and his military advisors planned an invasion of Cuba involving Cuban exiles living in the USA. This took place at the Bay of Pigs but was a complete disaster for the USA. As a result of this, Castro began to develop even closer economic and military links with the USSR and its leader, Khrushchev.

In 1962 a USA U2 spy plane took photos of a missile launch site being built in Cuba. This caused mass panic in the USA. Also ships from the USSR were heading in the direction of Cuba with what looked like parts of missiles. President Kennedy then came under pressure from one group of military advisors who wanted to bomb the missile sites and another group who wanted to set up a naval blockade around the island. In the end Kennedy ordered a blockade to be set up to prevent these ships getting to Cuba. This created a very tense situation and many people were certain it could lead to a nuclear war between the USA and the USSR. After a few days, both sides backed down and a deal was made, which put an end to a very dangerous situation

(ii) A farm labourer during the Agricultural revolution

My name is John Smith and I live in Norfolk in England. Over the past few years a huge number of changes have taken place in farming. Before the agricultural revolution most people lived in small villages and grew crops in fields scattered here and there and reared farm animals on the village common land. However, when people began to move to the new cities to work in big factories great changes took place in the countryside.

The government passed a law, which was called the Enclosure Act, and this meant that farmers built fences and ditches and all their land was in one large unit.

Another major change has been the introduction of a system of crop rotation, which began here in Norfolk, and this means that the soil is always kept enriched and does not get worn out. Our method is to plant a different crop in each field every year and in one year we let clover grow in the field as this is good for the soil.

Another change was that new machines have been invented to make farming much easier but it also means that there is less need for as many farm labourers. One of these machines was invented by a man called Jethro Tull and it’s called the seed drill, which makes it possible to grow more grain because all the seeds are properly covered by soil when planting takes place.

Lastly, another big change is that new and better breeds of cattle and sheep have been brought to the countryside, which have more meat and produce more milk.

(iii) Albrecht Duhrer
    The artist, Albrecht Duhrer, was a famous Renaissance artist from outside Italy. He was born in Germany and he was the most famous German artist of the Renaissance. He was born on 21 May, 1471 in Nuremberg, south Germany and his father was a goldsmith. As a young man he began his training in drawing and woodcutting. He became an apprentice to the best known artist in the city of Nuremberg when he was fifteen years old. After this, he travelled to other European countries, including Italy, and he met other artists and was inspired by them. He developed a great talent for doing engravings and he then set up his own workshop in Nuremberg. The engravings that he did were prints made from wood or copper. His best known works are his 18 engravings of the Apocalypse cycle, the most interesting of which is the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Like other artists, he also had to find patrons and the one who helped him most, at first, was Prince Frederick of Saxony. Duhrer painted many religious pieces for the prince as well as other wealthy Nuremberg citizens. However, Duhrer achieved his greatest fame in the many engravings he did when he received commissions from the Emperor Maximilian, who was the most powerful leader in Europe at he time. One of these is called The Triumphal Arch and is the largest woodcut print ever made. Duhrer went on to become a firm supporter of Martin Luther and produced many woodcuts, which show his support for the Reformation. Duhrer also completed lots of paintings, including self portraits and famous drawings of plants and animals. One of his famous ones is called the Young Hare and there is a huge amount of detail in it. Duhrer died on 6 April, 1528 in Nuremberg and was buried in St. John’s churchyard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

How'd he know it was a girl?

I dunno but that what he told us maybe it was someone in our school and he knew the exam number , I go to all girls school , <snip name of school for privacy reasons> thr best in the west :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mary A wrote: »
    I dunno but that what he told us maybe it was someone in our school and he knew the exam number , I go to all girls school , <snip name of school for privacy reasons> thr best in the west :P

You can get a fair idea of the gender of the candidate from the writing in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

spurious wrote: »
    You can get a fair idea of the gender of the candidate from the writing in some cases.
    Girls usually have better handwriting ... bad stereotype.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Girls usually have better handwriting ... bad stereotype.

It's true though, in most cases.

spurious wrote: »
    It's true though, in most cases.

This may just be true of the girls in my class, and by extension some of my year, but they all seem to have nearly identical handwriting. It's really neat, and really nice, but it's identical. Any clue what the deal with that is?

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    This may just be true of the girls in my class, and by extension some of my year, but they all seem to have nearly identical handwriting. It's really neat, and really nice, but it's identical. Any clue what the deal with that is?
    Well ... females usually have smaller hands ... so I would say it's something to do with that, plus I suppose they care more :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Can somebody type up notes on
    Conflict between European Powers as a result of the voyages (2010, 2005)
    I am convinced its coming up and I lost my flashcard with it on it D:

claryfray wrote: »
    Can somebody type up notes on
    Conflict between European Powers as a result of the voyages (2010, 2005)
    I am convinced its coming up and I lost my flashcard with it on it D:
    There's already notes on that. Look around this thread. Maybe do Portugal's contribution to the Age of Exploration? I find that much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

There's already notes on that. Look around this thread. Maybe do Portugal's contribution to the Age of Exploration? I find that much easier.

I did look through it but I couldn't find it :L And on top of that I am nearly certain that I AM the one who posted the notes on it omg :P I might just look through my post history now...:)

• Advertisement

claryfray wrote: »
    I did look through it but I couldn't find it :L And on top of that I am nearly certain that I AM the one who posted the notes on it omg :P I might just look through my post history now...:)
    Uhm ... you seem to have a common case of "Melting brain dis-order". ;)

Advertisement