Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Accounts :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Uhm ... you seem to have a common case of "Melting brain dis-order". ;)

What?

I know I am so clumsy, you didn't have to point it out :L

I can't tell if I am losing it, but I can't find the notes for this in this thread..?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

claryfray wrote: »
    What?

I know I am so clumsy, you didn't have to point it out :L

I can't tell if I am losing it, but I can't find the notes for this in this thread..?! :confused:
    I wasn't pointing it out, it was a reference ... the Junior Cert is melting all our brains .. that's why I said "common" ;). I'll find it and copy and paste the whole thing for ya.

I wasn't pointing it out, it was a reference ... the Junior Cert is melting all our brains .. that's why I said "common" ;). I'll find it and copy and paste the whole thing for ya.

Oh my god, I couldn't tell whether you were being sarky or not. I was thinking to myself 'That's so rude' but I was like...its true :(

Ha ha no its fine, you go and study for your exam.. don't worry about me :o

I am pretty sure the notes I did were almost all from e-xamit.

Anyone have the e-xamit History exam papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

I am useless at history, it is probs my worst subject. I have just over 3 and a bit hours to study and I haven't studied anything for history yet. What should I learn that you think I'll need to know for exam. e.g most important things

Oh my god, I couldn't tell whether you were being sarky or not. I was thinking to myself 'That's so rude' but I was like...its true :(

Ha ha no its fine, you go and study for your exam.. don't worry about me :o

I am pretty sure the notes I did were almost all from e-xamit.

Anyone have the e-xamit History exam papers?
    I can't find the notes you posted :confused:. I have them, what question do you want? :)

• Advertisement

I can't find the notes you posted :confused:. I have them, what question do you want? :)

Woah thank god its not just me. I reckon I must have posted them in the 'notes etc' thread but I am not looking through that :O

Oh thanks!! EP 2010, Q5C and EP2008 Q6A(iii)

I am starting to worry Industrial England might come up which I am not that good at :L

KatieG6 wrote: »
    I am useless at history, it is probs my worst subject. I have just over 3 and a bit hours to study and I haven't studied anything for history yet. What should I learn that you think I'll need to know for exam. e.g most important things
    • Revolutions
    • Age of Exploration
    • Plantations
    • World War 2

That's what I'd pay attention too. Try and read summary's of all the chapters if you can. But that's just whats PREDICTED to come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

(ii) Conflict between European powers as a result of the voyages of exploration

Many European countries wanted to get a share of the land and wealth of the New World. At the beginning the biggest rivals were Spain and Portugal. They became such rivals that the Pope had to get involved and a Treaty of Tordesillas was signed in order to divide the New World between them. Everything in the New World west of the line through present day Brazil was Spanish and territory in the east was to be under Portuguese control. This was done in order to prevent them going to war with each other.

As exploration expanded, more and more European countries got involved and also became rivals. A good example is the huge rivalry and wars that broke out between the British and the French in North America. All these European countries also became very wealthy as a result of exploration and this also led to rivalry and jealousy between them.

Another rivalry that developed between countries was the race to bring as many slaves as possible to the New World and it continued for hundreds of years. The British, French, Portuguese, Dutch and the Spanish were the main countries involved in this trade.

Woah thank god its not just me. I reckon I must have posted them in the 'notes etc' thread but I am not looking through that :O

I am starting to worry Industrial England might come up which I am not that good at :L

(i) Achievements of the Portuguese voyages of exploration

Prince Henry of Portugal played a very important role as he was the first European leader to create a special school to train sailors in a place called Sagres. Portuguese sailors were the first to explore the western coast of Africa and established forts and trading posts in various places. They brought many goods back to Europe and gave names to the coastal areas such as the Ivory Coast and the Gold Coast.

A sailor from Portugal was the first to reach the southern tip of Africa. His name was Bartolomeu Diaz and he named this part of Africa the “Cape of Storms”. He later changed this to the “Cape of Good Hope” in order to encourage more sailors to sail further around the tip to India and the Spice Islands. The first Portuguese sailor to achieve that was Vasco da Gama who reached the Indian port of Calicut.

In the years following these voyages, Portugal became a very powerful and wealthy nation and established many overseas colonies and became a great rival of Spain. Later in the treaty of Tordesillas, the Spanish and the Portuguese divided up the “New World” between themselves.

(ii) Conflict between European powers as a result of the voyages of exploration

Many European countries wanted to get a share of the land and wealth of the New World. At the beginning the biggest rivals were Spain and Portugal. They became such rivals that the Pope had to get involved and a Treaty of Tordesillas was signed in order to divide the New World between them. Everything in the New World west of the line through present day Brazil was Spanish and territory in the east was to be under Portuguese control. This was done in order to prevent them going to war with each other.

As exploration expanded, more and more European countries got involved and also became rivals. A good example is the huge rivalry and wars that broke out between the British and the French in North America. All these European countries also became very wealthy as a result of exploration and this also led to rivalry and jealousy between them.

Another rivalry that developed between countries was the race to bring as many slaves as possible to the New World and it continued for hundreds of years. The British, French, Portuguese, Dutch and the Spanish were the main countries involved in this trade.

(iii) Spanish conquest of Mexico

The Spanish conquest of present day Mexico was due mainly to Cortez. He was born in Spain and he became a conquistador and arrived in Mexico with over 500 men in 1519. He then began travelling towards the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan.

At that time, the Aztec Empire was wealthy but they did not have horses, nor did they have guns. This gave the Spaniards a huge advantage. Another problem that the Aztecs had was the fact that many of the people who had been conquered by the Aztecs were unhappy about the way they had been treated by them. One thing that angered these people was that the Aztecs often sacrificed the people they conquered to their gods. As a result, many of these people were ready to join forces with Cortez and his men to overthrow the Aztec Empire. There was also a famous Aztec legend about the return of a light skinned bearded God and many Aztecs believed that this was Cortez. The Aztec ruler was called Montezuma and he did not stop Cortez entering the capital of Tenochtitlan.

Within just a few years, he and his small army were able to defeat one of the most advanced civilisations of the era, setting up Cortez as the ruler of Mexico, on behalf of Spain.

FROM E-XAMIT.ie by the way :)

2010 Q5C - amrnrk

2008 Q6A -rmoygo

• Advertisement

• Revolutions
    • Age of Exploration
    • Plantations
    • World War 2

That's what I'd pay attention too. Try and read summary's of all the chapters if you can. But that's just whats PREDICTED to come up :)

Thank you :) when you say revolutions do you mean the Irish revolution and french one

Thank you :) when you say revolutions do you mean the Irish revolution and french one
    Any revolution.

Any revolution.

Will I just be ok if I learn just 1 revolution? I don't even know what the revolutions are -.-

Will I just be ok if I learn just 1 revolution? I don't even know what the revolutions are -.-
    Just know why the American Revolution started and you'll be fine if a revolution question comes up :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dodo97

can anyone with e-xamit exam papers post the code for 2009 q5c thank you :)

dodo97 wrote: »
    can anyone with e-xamit exam papers post the code for 2009 q5c thank you :)

kmhepw

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Wiefi wrote: »
    -To be a Master Craftsman you have to pass a test, the test involves creating a master piece in which you show off your mad skills

Haha!!! I am so going to put that down if it comes up! :):):)

2008 Q5c and 2003 Q5c from edco exam paper codes please ? :)

Haha!!! I am so going to put that down if it comes up! :):):)
    It came up last year so it won't come up :p.

• Advertisement

Psh... who says I can't do Luther and Magellan? Calvin and Columbus are too mainstream.. :rolleyes:

I'm doing the same :) Magellan FTW!

Calvin is mainstream? Luther was the main focus of my history course... did everyone else mostly do Calvin?

It came up last year so it won't come up :p.

:( Well I'm putting it down anyways! Could probably slip it in with Magellan! ;)

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Calvin is mainstream? Luther was the main focus of my history course... did everyone else mostly do Calvin?

Luther is more interesting. Did you know that he was racist and wrote books about the Jews that were later used as Nazi propaganda?

I am learning Luther...he was the main one in my book :P

dodo97 wrote: »
    2008 Q5c and 2003 Q5c from edco exam paper codes please ? :)

fmxkuk
    no code for 2003 q5 :/

I did both in great detail, but I prefer Luther.

Luther is more interesting. Did you know that he was racist and wrote books about the Jews that were later used as Nazi propaganda?

No, I didn't. I'm starting to think the Jews had to do something for all this crap they get.

Oh my god no.
    Don't know whether to include this in the People in History section or not....:P

• Advertisement

fmxkuk
    no code for 2003 q5 :/

awh no 2003 is the main one im stuck on :confused: thank you very much though :)

Advertisement