Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lunch break rights

Options
  • 08-06-2013 10:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I'm new in the company, Recently my boss told us that our lunch break was bought out during a merger.

I know companies can do it, but it has to be a labour court approved deal.
    Now my work contract states that my breaks and work time are in line with the relevant working time act, no mention of a labour court agreement in my contract either, so my interpretation of this is that he is wrong, any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Need more detail to help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Need more detail to help.

Like what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Like what breaks, if any, you actually get, and a vague description of the industry you work in and the hours per day you work (because some industires have different break entitlements).

I'm out on the road, I assumed I had normal breaks, 15 mins and 30 mins, I work an 8hr day, Monday to Friday no special conditions attached, I get a lunch allowance because office based staff have a subsidized canteen, only thing in my contract about breaks see a reference to rest break are in accordance to "Working Time Act"

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You are entitled to 30 mins every 6 hours worked and/or 15 mins every 4.5 hours.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    You are entitled to 30 mins every 6 hours worked and/or 15 mins every 4.5 hours.

Thanks, I'm aware of this, but I'm been told I do not because the employees "gave" it away during a merger, from my reading of the "Working Time Act" anything like this has to be approved the labour court.....if so it was not not on my contract or even referenced to.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The vast majority of agreements don't go anywhere near the labour court, so that clause is not observed imo.

It says " it must be approved by the labour court" so if there was, legally it cannot be in forced....would be be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OP has been sitebanned, so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement