Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Won't Evict Bad Tenants

Options
  • 08-06-2013 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Looking for advice, we have 3 settled family's in my estate , all in apartments they are destroying the place and the landlord doesn't give a crap and won't evict them .
    What options are their for us the residents to get them out? These people are very intimidating and everyone is nervous to put their name to an official complaint.
    Any help or advice would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

most settled people are quite nice once you get to know them
    sure they are weird at first with their jobs, education and equal rights for women but if you reach out to them they'll calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Theres not much you can do bar being a watchful neighbour and reporting
    any illigal activity that goes on. Dumping, fighting or Fires etc.

I'm not sure if people still do this but in my mams
    estate they have the signs for Neighbourhood
    watch & Community alert which can liase directly
    with the gards. If you're close with your neighbours
    it may be worthwhile setting this up. Here's a link.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Make a complaint to the PRTB if there is anti-social behaviour. If they are breaching house rules of the apartment complex insist the management cimpany take action as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

How does a complaint with the PRTB work? Will their landlord get my details. She won't evict them herself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

we have 3 settled family's in my estate
    I am not sure I understand this. What is a settled family? Are we talking about travellers here? Or something else?
    What options are their for us the residents to get them out? These people are very intimidating and everyone is nervous to put their name to an official complaint.
    Any help or advice would be great
    The first step would be to approach the landlord if they are known to you and highlight your concerns. If the landlord refuses to do anything then a complaint may be lodged with the PRTB. It is extremely difficult for a landlord to legally evict based on anti social behaviour so extensive documented evidence will be required. We are talking times, dates, witness statements, Garda reports, photography evidence, video etc etc. Even with all this any eviction could be deemed illegal as the laws very much favour the tenant.
    In the event you do succesfully complain to the PRTB the landlord will potentially be fined but the issue with the neighbours may not go away as they still have extensive rights under Irish legislation.
    If noone is willing to put their name to a complaint then you will have to live with the current situation

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am not sure I understand this. What is a settled family? Are we talking about travellers here? Or something else.

Yes, settled usually refers to settled travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're not prepared to put your own names to a complaint but expect the landlord to go on a solo run and evict them. Hardly fair.

murphaph wrote: »
    You're not prepared to put your own names to a complaint but expect the landlord to go on a solo run and evict them. Hardly fair.

The landlord doesn't give a **** that's the problem. The issue is more the landlord won't do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you have the Landlord's mobile no., try giving him a few calls at various times after midnight. That might soften his cough. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If there is anti-social behaviour and the Landlord won't do anything you can take a 3rd party complaint to the PRTB. You will need to have evidence that you have made the Landlord aware of the problem, preferably by registered post, otherwise he/she could deny knowledge.

If you don't have his contact details you can contact the PRTB to check if the property is registered with them, it has to be by law and they may be able to help you with contact details.

You need to keep a written record of all anti-social behaviour and report it to the Gardai. You need to provide the landlord with a written record of your complaints, with dates and times and details of what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

murphaph wrote: »
    A Landlord has a legal obligation to ensure that his tenants don't engage in anti-social behaviour, the days of taking the rent and screwing over the neighbours with scumbag tenants are long gone, although sadly that message hasn't got through to a lot of Landlords yet. If the landlord isn't fussy about who he lets to, i.e doesn't check references it's his own problem.

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Yes, settled usually refers to settled travellers.
    no travellers is travellers and settled is settled
    settled travellers is a misnomer and settled families is settled people

Tigger wrote: »
    no travellers is travellers and settled is settled
    settled travellers is a misnomer and settled families is settled people

You are correct it is a misnomer. I was merely
    giving clarity to the previous poster.

You are correct it is a misnomer. I was merely
    giving clarity to the previous poster.

the thread should have started with there are three traveller families causing hassel and were scared to report them so we want their landlord to get rid of them
    travellers are an ethnic group distinct from "settled people" just because they live in a house they are still travellers

if they are being illegal then report them to the law if they aren't then tough

Tigger wrote: »
    the thread should have started with there are three traveller families causing hassel and were scared to report them so we want their landlord to get rid of them
    travellers are an ethnic group distinct from "settled people" just because they live in a house they are still travellers

if they are being illegal then report them to the law if they aren't then tough

Ah here, the thread is for helping the OP find a solution for his/her anti-social neighbours, not to argue semantics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah thanks elfy. The only time I hear settled used is when travellers refer to non travellers therefore my lack of understanding of the OPs post.
    I would think the OP needs to tread very carefully here. Is it actually the 3 families causing trouble or is it 1 or 2 of the families and the other residents are just lumping them all in together. There would want to be substantial evidence of anti social behaviour by each of the relevant tenants.

Ah right Tiggers first post makes more sense now:D. Bit slow to get going this today

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/landlord-fined-30k-for-tenants-actions-217217.html

Take a look at this-there are serious consequences to the landlord if they do nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont think it matters a jot what these people are; there are scumbags in all walks of life, and the fact that they are former travellers is completely irrelevant. Im not even sure why the OP felt the need to mention it.

Ah here, the thread is for helping the OP find a solution for his/her anti-social neighbours, not to argue semantics.

being clear on what the issue is is important
    semantics are important when the issue is legal
    i have sympathy for people with bad neighbours that they are scared of
    but blaming the landlord is not the answer i doubt he is happy with things and his seeming non interest is probably a manifestation of his resignation to the situation

i'd move

The problem is when the landlord has received complaints about damage to the building , kids running amok the only answer has is " these are good tenants "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP mentions apartments so there should be a management company involved. There's more than likely a lease clause that says that if you rent out your unit you are responsible for ensuring that your tenants comply with development rules. We used it to force an owner in our development to evict unsavoury tenants, but to do so the neighbours had to report every incident so an anonymous dossier could be compiled by the management agent

djimi wrote: »
    I dont think it matters a jot what these people are; there are scumbags in all walks of life, and the fact that they are former travellers is completely irrelevant. Im not even sure why the OP felt the need to mention it.
    badly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The problem is when the landlord has received complaints about damage to the building , kids running amok the only answer has is " these are good tenants "
    Then you know what to do. Take a 3rd party complaint to the PRTB with your name on it.

Advertisement