Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking It To The Next Step

Options
  • 08-06-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I'm currently surfing a 7'6'' minimal and have been for the last couple of years since I started surfing. I can catch most waves, ride along the face and perform basic turns. However I feel this board is starting to hold me back and I want to progress to a shorter board. I'd like to start surfing some of the mellower reefs breaks.
    Unfortunately I live on the East coast so between work and other things I only get to go out West every month or two, but stay for a few days to a week when I do. I usually go to Lahinch, Inishcrone or some parts of Kerry.
    I'm 5'6'' and about 10 stone. I'm fairly fit from playing football, mountain biking, running and yoga.
    My question is what board should I progress to? I've been looking at a 6'8'' Big Boy Flyer.
    Or would something else be more suitable.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Get a longboard

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack T Colton

Brilliant. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sorry for the short reply but if your not surfing all that often than a longboard will give you a far better return in terms of wave count and enjoyment.

Its about making the most of the time you have in the water

A good log will allow you carry out most maneuvers in a less radical way

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sul10

Well Jack, Im in a similar situation to yourself in terms of skill level, Im about the same size as you and im currently on a 7 3" minimal.

A few of my friends are more experienced and they all recommended the fat boy flier for a board upgrade which would be good to ride on the mushy waves we get on the east / south east as well as the better stuff on the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nickbok

A fat boy flyer or even a big fish would do ya if you willing to put in the regular time. Love my fish, which I came down from a 7'6 Nigel semmins which I'm still fond of and would use if the situation needed it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    I do plan on getting to the surf more than I have been and for that reason I have my heart set on getting a shorter board. Although I'll get a longboard at some stage.
    Nickboy - What size fish did you get?

I've a 6'6 plenty float to it and room to find your feet. Hubby started bodyboarding before I forced him to a 7'0 epoxy shortboard with a penchant for nosediving! Took to it grand considering type board it was. Then down to a 6'4 twinnie also grand, progressing away fast enough. Really I think it's down to bit of determination and practice of course. Every bit of wave time counts really, no matter what stage you're at. Once you don't go too short, thin or narrow with the dimensions you should be grand!! Hahaha enjoy. Hope you find the right board for you. You should pretty much know on that first wave imo.

Can you try out the flyer before you buy? No harm in asking.

Won't be able to try it out as I'm gonna buy online.

Thinking of going for this -

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/item.do?item=7170&path=oshea-68-big-boy-white-eps-epoxy-surfboard-i7170.html

It's got a good bit of volume so hopefully not too much of a step down.

Thanks again nickbok

Ooh looks nice! I'd say it would be fine. Hate for you to take my word for it and you don't like it tho! Go with your gut. If you do get it, take it out as much as possible, paddling and pop up position be different. If you're getting out plenty with it I doubt it'll be massive struggle. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

So have you tried out the board yet???

Haven't got it yet, been too busy with work. Hopefully in the next week or two. I'll post when I get to try it out.

Advertisement