Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

• 08-06-2013 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

Not looking forward to this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

decisions wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this one.

Neither am I, pretty much banking on anything that has got to do with drugs or sante.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Obesity and a descent diary entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

I'm terrified about this exam. I barely scraped a pass in the mocks and while I'm not relying on French for many points, I do need a pass in it to get my course.

I feel like I had a very good oral (our examiner asked us the easiest questions ever and left it there!), but the aural will destroy me, so I'm hoping I can do this.

The only thing I did well in was the journal intime probably cause I'm great at having a b!tch about things

The rest I didn't go so well, ended up coming out with 79% but the oral brang it down to 69% :( hope that doesn't happen again, was sickend by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'm really looking forward to this. My best subject for sure, hopefully it's a nice paper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I'm praying for an essay on STD's or at least a comprehension on contraception, that's all my class have covered! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Last years paper looked easy so Im kinda worried theyll give us a hard one.

007driver wrote: »
    Last years paper looked easy so Im kinda worried theyll give us a hard one.

Yeah last years paper was a dream paper IMO. They should be fair enough to us though *fingers crossed!*

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

In the mocks, I got 91% in the oral and 61% in the written, which brought my overall score down to 68%. However, I don't think my oral went as well as it did in the mocks, so I really think this will kill me :( WHY CAN I SPEAK FRENCH BUT NOT BE ABLE TO WRITE IT?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Our comprehensions last year were a nightmare, trick questions galore. :L The written pieces were lovely but I'd never really disliked them, though you might notice that none of it was negative stuff like obesity, economy, racism, cyber-bullying...so I think they're trying to stop people learning stuff off. I'd advise you guys to learn general phrases and some key vocabulary and grammar, no point reading essay after essay on something hoping it comes up.

If you feel up to it, typing the topics into Wikipedia then clicking on the French version is a sure way to find extremely high standard French on these things. Bonne chance à tous! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Oh god.. dreading this

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I'm praying for an essay on STD's or at least a comprehension on contraception, that's all my class have covered! :/

God... we haven't even touched on that, but then again i'm not surprised because my teacher wrote a letter of complaint saying the irish play we went to see was overly provocative.....

I am dreading the 40m written question, sometimes they can be lovely and sometimes they can be awful. Personally i'm praying for alcohol, obesity, environment and the importance of sport, theywould be lovely this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

STDs and contraception are never going to come up, don't worry.

Canard wrote: »
    STDs and contraception are never going to come up, don't worry.

and even if they did, you would have a choice so be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

No study done for this whatsoever :/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

ray2012 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this. My best subject for sure, hopefully it's a nice paper :)
    Agreed :) Hoping for a decent Q.1 and the rest should be grand!

:cool: please be nice please be nice please be nice :cool:

anyone know of any weird grammar questions we could encounter in comprehensions? And can I quote all answers like with irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looking at the thread im happy I do ol

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

anyone know of any weird grammar questions we could encounter in comprehensions? And can I quote all answers like with irish?

If the question uses words like trouvez or citez then you just directly quote. If it asks a specific question eg why did he do this? And the answer in the text is along the lines of 'I did this because...' You have to change the I to he and change the verb to suit it as well.

• Advertisement

How much do you think it is best to write if you were going for top marks on the written sections?

How much do you think it is best to write if you were going for top marks on the written sections?

I do Q1: 100/110

Q2/3/4: 90/100

If you write too much your lraving yourself open to mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

The general consensus I've heard is to keep your answers short and sweet. Good, clear, idiomatic French. Maybe around 100 words or so as they can penalise you for drifting from the topic given and including irrelevant material

Raeral wrote: »
    The general consensus I've heard is to keep your answers short and sweet. Good, clear, idiomatic French. Maybe around 100 words or so as they can penalise you for drifting from the topic given and including irrelevant material

I have heard the opposite too though. Long, well-planned essay with intro, 1 or 2 points and a conclusion. Supposedly it is near impossible to get full marks by writing the amount they recommend on the paper

When talking about les personnes agees do you have to use Elles the whole time?
    Like Elles nont pas d'argent pour s'amuser et Elles doivent rester chez elles?

I've never really used Elle's this much in a answer before and it's beginning to look weird.and i don't know if it's right or not? If anyone could clarify I would be really grateful :)

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    When talking about les personnes agees do you have to use Elles the whole time?
    Like Elles nont pas d'argent pour s'amuser et Elles doivent rester chez elles?

I've never really used Elle's this much in a answer before and it's beginning to look weird.and i don't know if it's right or not? If anyone could clarify I would be really grateful :)

Are you supposed to use elle. Why isn't it Ils. :confused:

007driver wrote: »
    Are you supposed to use elle. Why isn't it Ils. :confused:

Yeah that's what I was wondering :/
    It confused the life out of me

I just looked at my less stress book , theres an essay there about them and they use elles. I never would have thought to use that.

Just spoke to my friend from Montreal and he said its cause of the personnnes agées is feminine.

Wouldn't have known otherwise I thought everything took ils regardless of gender :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Personnes is feminine and plural therefore the adjective agees has to be feminine and plural so you would use the feminine plural pronoun - elles- as well.

Advertisement