Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

007driver wrote: »
    For comp 2

Q5 ii) i wrote , La vieille femme parlait à son chien comme on parlerait à un enfant

you think i would get any marks ?

Possilbily. It's hard to know really. The way I am interpreting the wording of the question: "Quel geste de la vieille femme montre qu'elle se soucie du confort de son chien"? which literally means: "What gesture/movement/action of the old woman show that she is concerned about the comfort of her dog?"

In the text it states: La vieille femme parlait a son chien comme on parlerait a un enfant et remonta le manteau de l'animal jusqu'a son cou poilu, par peur que son protégé prenne froid."

The second half seems to be more suited to answering the question: "She lifted the dog's coat up as far as his hairy neck, out of/for fear that he would get cold"

Obviously par peur que take subjonctif so my English translation isn't word for word...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Can you actually answer a question using the passé simple though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

You wouldn't really, it'd only be used in an extremely formal context.

If you're quoting from the passage I don't see why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Good question Leaving Cert Student. I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow it since it's the simplest route to a correct answer here. Did you manipulate using a passé composé instead? I expect both to be allowed. Btw it's not formal as such, it's literary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

You wouldn't really, it'd only be used in an extremely formal context.

Yeah I changed "remontra" to present tense, as the question was asked in the present.

Meleanor: Indeed, now that you say it, that makes perfect sense. I expect that manipulation in both present and past tense will have to be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

linguist wrote: »
    Good question Leaving Cert Student. I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow it since it's the simplest route to a correct answer here. Did you manipulate using a passé composé instead? I expect both to be allowed. Btw it's not formal as such, it's literary.

I think in a marking scheme for a different comprehension they had the answer in the passé simple. There is usually an asterisk saying that tenses don't matter (ie past or present).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

i used passe compose... this must be the first useful contribution i have made to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nogame

The aural was tricky. What tense did people use who didn't notice the journal Intime was after the party?

• Advertisement

Feeling very at home amongst the linguists. I must drop by more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Actually had this debate with myself during the exam, I ended up just going with the passe simple and assumed it didn't make much difference either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

nogame wrote: »
    The aural was tricky. What tense did people use who didn't notice the journal Intime was after the party?

future, it would have been easier for me in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

I was happy with the paper, the listening was a bit iffy but the essay titles were grand. The Journal Intime title was easy to work around! I noticed in the listening, think it was section 3, you had to say what the girls dad was doing. It said he was 'a la chasse avec son beau frere'. I said he went hunting with his step brother but I looked it up and beau frere means brother in law! Sound examination commission for adding that in...

You scared the sheize out of me! look it up in Google translate, beau frere is step brother AS WELL as brother-in-law.

http://translate.google.ie/translate_t?client=opera&rls=en&q=translate&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wT#en/fr/step-brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

You scared the sheize out of me! look it up in Google translate, beau frere is step brother AS WELL as brother-in-law.

http://translate.google.ie/translate_t?client=opera&rls=en&q=translate&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wT#en/fr/step-brother

I wouldnt trust google translate. Only brother-in-law on wodreference.

You can in this instance as it is used in the text. Although the question looks like it may require manipulation the way its answer is worded in the text you do not need to manipulate although marks will undoubtedly be deducted in cases where there is extraneous material. Therefore in this answer la vieille dame (Elle) remonta / a remonté le manteau....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Never trust google translate. Step-brother is demi-frére and brother-in-law is beau-frére -

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/Beaufrere
    http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/stepbrother

007driver wrote: »
    I wouldnt trust google translate. Only brother-in-law on wodreference.

Demi-frère = step brother

Belle-mère = mother in law

Beau-père = father in law

Beau-frère = brother in law

Belle-soeur = sister in law

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

HPMS wrote: »
    Never trust google translate. Step-brother is demi-frére and brother-in-law is beau-frére -

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/Beaufrere
    http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/stepbrother

FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Its a cruel world!

• Advertisement

Back with you all again on this one. I have just had a French friend of mine ask around his office in Strasbourg (as you do!) and indeed beau-frere and demi-frere are not synonymous. Beau-frere is indeed brother-in-law and demi-frere is stepbrother or half-brother.

However, beau-pere and belle-mere are indeed both in-laws and stepfather and stepmother which is obviously where a lot of this confusion comes from.

It's hard to know what will happen here. It's difficult to see the SEC allowing an answer that is patently wrong. However, what might happen is partial marks for brother with incorrect qualification ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheUshMan

for the diary entry, i said that my parents came back and so the party was cancelled, i feel like a dope now, because i might lose marks for not answering the question right???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keepingcalm

TheUshMan wrote: »
    for the diary entry, i said that my parents came back and so the party was cancelled, i feel like a dope now, because i might lose marks for not answering the question right???

Well it did say to write in your diary after the party and since you never actually had the party you couldn't do that so yeah maybe a few marks but if your French was still good you'll have saved the majority of them :) there's nothing you can do about it right now anyway so just try to let it go and chill :)

Ye, its just so annoying to think about, especially when stuff i could have said keeps coming into my head, sure i attempted an extra question so hopefully i did ok on the horse meat question...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keepingcalm

TheUshMan wrote: »
    Ye, its just so annoying to think about, especially when stuff i could have said keeps coming into my head, sure i attempted an extra question so hopefully i did ok on the horse meat question...

I'm terrible for that too and checking these forums after every exam probably isn't helping me but I can't stop myself! D: only one more left...

yeh, good luck in your last exam. I have 2 left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 worms3d

nogame wrote: »

You'd use Passe Compose and Imparfait depending on what you're actually saying to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

worms3d wrote: »
    You'd use Passe Compose and Imparfait depending on what you're actually saying to be honest..
    I think that person meant what tense did people use when they thought they were planning a party (a huge amount of people did), in which case I assume they used the future and conditional tenses.

Advertisement