Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 valencianista

In my mock a number of my long questions lost marks because they were ''too long'', despite the fact that there was only 1 or 2 minor errors in the whole thing. Is this the way they will be really marked? Losing marks purely for length even if it is perfect and relevant French? I found that very harsh anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I have no problem writing stuff but my content is usually so wrong for the reaction andQ1/2/3/4 anyone to help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

The French marking scheme has got to be the stickiest one out of all the exams, especially for the aural.
    After having not done a scrap for this until now, it's safe to say I'm pretty fecked. Only need to pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I'm getting kinda excited about this exam now, I have a feeling tourism and sport will be on the paper, otherwise this is probably the one exam I'm not overly panicked about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

The French marking scheme has got to be the stickiest one out of all the exams, especially for the aural.
    After having not done a scrap for this until now, it's safe to say I'm pretty fecked. Only need to pass though.

Dispise the marking scheme in French. Just hope for a nice paper like the rest of them now. Must practice over the comprehensions again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

Does anybody know the mark/percentage breakdown for the oral, aural and written part of the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Does anybody know the mark/percentage breakdown for the oral, aural and written part of the exam?

Oral : 25%
    writen : 25%
    aural : 20 %
    reading : 30 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

In my mock a number of my long questions lost marks because they were ''too long'', despite the fact that there was only 1 or 2 minor errors in the whole thing. Is this the way they will be really marked? Losing marks purely for length even if it is perfect and relevant French? I found that very harsh anyway...

I know the dilemma, you want to make it long so you can show off all the vocab/fancy sentence structures you know. They shouldn't take marks off as they're probably more used to people writing below the target if anything! Just to be on the safe side I'd compact all the good shtuff into about 120 words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

007driver wrote: »
    Oral : 25%
    writen : 25%
    aural : 20 %
    reading : 30 %

Thanks.

Has anyone got any tips for the aural?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 valencianista

Thanks.

Has anyone got any tips for the aural?

I find the best way to prepare for it is to practice them by putting CD that came with the exam papers onto your iPod and just do them with your earphones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭stevie4568

Anyone have any idea of timing for the paper, how much should we spend on each question?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Just curious to know how long is your reaction and diary entries going to be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

It is really harsh but if everyone does say an extra 30 words multiplied by the thousands who take the exam it would take them hours, they give you a limit and you have to follow it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

stevie4568 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of timing for the paper, how much should we spend on each question?

comprenhension : 30mins each

Q1: 30 mins

Q2/3/4 : 25mins each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I know the dilemma, you want to make it long so you can show off all the vocab/fancy sentence structures you know. They shouldn't take marks off as they're probably more used to people writing below the target if anything! Just to be on the safe side I'd compact all the good shtuff into about 120 words

I totally ignored the word counts and just wrote until I was satisfied with my answers. I answered 8 questions in about 120-150 words each and only lost 1 mark on most of them and that was because of grammar, not length. Funnily in one of them I answered it in exactly 75 words, partly because it was sport which I have no interest in and partly because I was running out of space, and got 5/30...mainly because it was off the point though. :p Just write what you're comfortable with. It's true that that can leave you prone to making mistakes, but don't feel like you can't finish your answer properly if you're hitting 75 words. They shouldn't mark you down for it and if they do just get it rechecked; mine was marked by two people before I saw it and neither of them were too harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭stevie4568

007driver wrote: »
    comprenhension : 30mins each

Q1: 30 mins

Q2/3/4 : 25mins each

Looks pretty good, I'll do that then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Has anyone got anything on tourism to message me please i will swap any of my notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Dont you know the whole relevance thing in french...like you lose marks if something isn't relevant? Well, how do you know what is and isn't revelant?

Like say you got an essay on something and you wanted to say how big of a problem it is - so I would say...

C'est un probléme croissant et tout le monde le perçoit mais, pour trouver un solution c'est une autre paire de manches!

Would that be relevant or would it lose marks?? I'm so confused with the marking scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Has anybody got an essay on Le Dopage or Emigration?

HPMS wrote: »
    Dont you know the whole relevance thing in french...like you lose marks if something isn't relevant? Well, how do you know what is and isn't revelant?

Like say you got an essay on something and you wanted to say how big of a problem it is - so I would say...

C'est un probléme croissant et tout le monde le perçoit mais, pour trouver une solution c'est une autre paire de manches!

Would that be relevant or would it lose marks?? I'm so confused with the marking scheme!

è and une
    And I'm not too sure on that sentence, it seems very learned off and a little long winded! Perhaps try to relate it to whatever Q comes up instead of writing it on its own. For example; "C'est un problème croissant l'abus d'alcool chez les jeunes...."

• Advertisement

è and une
    And I'm not too sure on that sentence, it seems very learned off and a little long winded! Perhaps try to relate it to whatever Q comes up instead of writing it on its own. For example; "C'est un problème croissant l'abus d'alcool chez les jeunes...."

Thanks! :) yeah, I know that's what I thought but I'm just so confused because how are you supposed to use nice, fancy phrases if they're not relevant?

HPMS wrote: »
    Thanks! :) yeah, I know that's what I thought but I'm just so confused because how are you supposed to use nice, fancy phrases if they're not relevant?

NP! Yup just stick in vocabulary that is relevant to those phrases, even a word or two, then they can't penalise you! Provided of course that your grammar/spelling is perfect

NP! Yup just stick in vocabulary that is relevant to those phrases, even a word or two, then they can't penalise you! Provided of course that your grammar/spelling is perfect

Great, thank you! Really freaking out about tomorrow, my teacher expects me to do really well but I've really neglected french over the past few weeks! Hopefully something fairly easy will come up for the written bits! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

I'm praying for an essay on STD's or at least a comprehension on contraception, that's all my class have covered! :/

what...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I think im more anxious about this than any other paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 karlobrien_

I've learned a few essays
    -le crise économique
    -l'environnement
    -le dopage
    -le tabac/l'alcool
    -le technologie

Apart from that i know vocab for two formal letters, a letter of reservation and inquiry for a job. Is there anything i'm leaving out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Tourism appeared on the paper last year. I.e. reasons why people should stay at home for holidays, unlikely to appear. Just have your handy phrases that you have from all year. I agree with this statement. Everybody knows that X is a big prob in Ireland nowadays. ... you can use that for loads of essays!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I've learned a few essays
    -le crise économique
    -l'environnement
    -le dopage
    -le tabac/l'alcool
    -le technologie

Apart from that i know vocab for two formal letters, a letter of reservation and inquiry for a job. Is there anything i'm leaving out?

La crise and La technologie is it not? Also email format? Story in the past tense, journal intime phrases and describing a picture/cartoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

what do youse write about??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

I have no essays prepared at all as our teacher was not the best! I just have phrases here and there on certain topics, most of which are outdated! Not looking forward to this exam at all :(

Advertisement