Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Cyber bullying
    L'informatique
    L'environment
    L'obesite
    Racisme
    Sport
    Smoke/Drink/Drugs
    Economic crisis
    Diary entry (Happy and sad)

I refuse to learn anymore. ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

I've been teaching French for years ... the usualtopics that aree expected hardly ever come up. Use:

Je suis d'accord avec cette affirmation. Tout le monde sait que X est un gros problem en Irlande de nos jours.

Then talk briefly about how it is a problem IN GENERAL.

Then make it PERSONAL. Pretend you have the problem! Moi, je souffre aussi = I'm suffering also...

Solution? Comment y porter remede? Le gouvernement devrait faire de son mieux de résoudre ce probleme. Aussi tout le monde a un role a jouer dans ce domaine (The gov ought to do its best to .... Also everybody has a role to play!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL! Just stay calm -- you'll be ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I've learned a few essays
    lacrise économique
    -l'environnement
    -le dopage
    -le tabac/l'alcool
    la technologie

Apart from that i know vocab for two formal letters, a letter of reservation and inquiry for a job. Is there anything i'm leaving out?

You can tell me to F off if I'm being annoying, just making sure you don't make those mistakes demain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Not dreading this too much, the written pieces are definitely my strong point. I haven't really studied anything specific but hopefully my vocab will carry me through. :)

Not looking forward to the listening though - if it's easy the marking will be so specific, if it's hard it'll be soul-destroying at the time.

I wrote way more than 90 and 75 words for the mock and got close to full marks in all my pieces. I think once you make sure not to veer off the topic it's fine, if you feel are though cross it out and try go back to the topic at end tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

Has anyone else not learned off anything? the topics are so crazy i wouldn't bother... better to spend time improving your grammar and general french and then u can answer anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

teacher30 wrote: »
    I've been teaching French for years ... the usualtopics that aree expected hardly ever come up. Use:

Je suis d'accord avec cette affirmation. Tout le monde sait que X est un gros problem en Irlande de nos jours.

Then make it PERSONAL. Pretend you have the problem! Moi, je souffre aussi = I'm suffering also...

Solution? Comment y porter remede? Le gouvernement devrait faire de son mieux de résoudre ce probleme. Aussi tout le monde a un role a jouer dans ce domaine (The gov ought to do its best to .... Also everybody has a role to play!

Merci Teacher30! Je vraiment l'apprécie

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

What kind of topics usually comes up in Q1 written part. (The 90 word essay)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

The essays that I'm predicting that will be in it tomorrow are something on technology (or internet)/ Obesity (or importance of eating healthy) / something of the environment.

I'd love one of them to come up as a 40 marker anyways :P

Nothing studied for this exam! Oh well.
    On vit seulement une fois!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

teacher30 wrote: »

Have you ever corrected papers? If so, can we be marked down for going over the word limit on the written? Some people say yes and others no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Have you ever corrected papers? If so, can we be marked down for going over the word limit on the written? Some people say yes and others no

As far as I know you cannot be marked down for going over the limit on the written but the point people have is if you do go over the word limit you are more likely to have more grammar mistakes meaning you'll be deducted marks and in some cases if you go over the word limit and you have strayed from the topic you will be marked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Personally I plan on going over the word limit, I take them as the minimum I should write and keep writing until I feel happy with my answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone here good at listening? Probably the only thing that always brings me down :(

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone here good at listening? Probably the only thing that always brings me down :(

Yuuuuuup. I had gotten over 90% in all the other parts of the exam in the mock, but the listening brought me down to 86%. :pac: But it was a bloody 1999 listening exam instead of a the mock one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

I've just decided that I'm dropping to ordinary level tomorrow. I've been borderline passing French for six years and it just isn't worth the risk of losing my place in the one (one!) course I applied for on my CAO.

There is no ordinary level French thread that I can see, but does anybody here know the layout of the paper in comparison to higher level?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 onlineavatar

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC010GLP000EV.pdf
    that's last year's ^^^

at a brief glance seems like it's more fill in the blanks and less complicated vocab. no bother to you.

I've just decided that I'm dropping to ordinary level tomorrow. I've been borderline passing French for six years and it just isn't worth the risk of losing my place in the one (one!) course I applied for on my CAO.

There is no ordinary level French thread that I can see, but does anybody here know the layout of the paper in comparison to higher level?

I just looked at the OL 2012 paper, and it goes something like this, I'm open for correction though.
    4 comprehensions (2 French/2 English)
    A fill in the blanks or a CV
    A diary entry (2 options do 1)
    A message (2 options do 1)

Hope that helps! And remember answer the comprehensions in the language of the question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC010GLP000EV.pdf
    that's last year's ^^^

at a brief glance seems like it's more fill in the blanks and less complicated vocab. no bother to you.
    woopah92 wrote: »
    I just looked at the OL 2012 paper, and it goes something like this, I'm open for correction though.
    4 comprehensions (2 French/2 English)
    A fill in the blanks or a CV
    A diary entry (2 options do 1)
    A message (2 options do 1)

Hope that helps! And remember answer the comprehensions in the language of the question!

Thanks guys. That's a lot of stress off my shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm praying for an essay on STD's or at least a comprehension on contraception, that's all my class have covered! :/
    what...
    I suspect that says more about the class than the potential questions on the exam tbh! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pmass4

If you finish early, and have done 4 essays, could you write like the part (b) of the essay choices too, basically doing 5 essays. If you have the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

Does anybody have any idea what the IOE have predicted to come up? In 2011 their predictions were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

If you read the examiner reports they are ALL AGAINST doing extra questions. It's the only subject I have noticed such recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pmass4

If you read the examiner reports they are ALL AGAINST doing extra questions. It's the only subject I have noticed such recommendations.

Oh right... So we shouldn't even do 4 then and get our best 3 marked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I've a weird feeling something like Gay Marriage might come up as a reaction question, especially as it was only recently made legal in France so its very topical! But it might be a bit too risque for the SEC!

I often find Section 2 and Section 4 the trickiest... Hoping they're not too bad.

So sorry for late reply. Absolutely not -- you can write a full page if you wish -- BUT you will be penalised for MISTAKES made. You can write as you like, but please be careful not to make too many mistakes if you do! You are allowed to make two / three small mistakes but then you start getting penlised. Best of luck to you!

A bit too sensitive / controversial. The papers were written in November, highly unlikely so I wouldn't be learning off anything on it! Bonne chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There's so much time in the French exam - if you can do extra questions without lowering the standards of your main ones, definitely do it, they'll just mark your best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

An hour to go and I'm sat in the kitchen looking at these essay notes, completely clueless about them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

How did everyone find the exam? I thought it was so handy! Even the written section was easy. Definitely a B1-B3 result in that exam!

Advertisement