Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Was the man who owned the dog a civil servant or did I just imagine I heard that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

007driver wrote: »
    for the farmer i said something about obliged to work in the field

Sames, I heard "champs" and "repas" so I couldn't think of anything other than he has to eat his meals in the fields... Lol sounds well stupid

Section 1 : she didn't want to leave her friends for 9 months/thought she would be bored
    Section 2: the sheep wouldn't eat anything/ snow
    Section 3: ruined the curtains in the sitting room/broke a vase full of flowers

Thanks! You must have a keen ear to pick up on those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

for the farmer i said something about obliged to work in the field
    Same I missed these two and whatever he was obliged to do at work... why exactly was his girlfriend upset actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

C'etait relativement facile! Got an A2 in the pres so hoping I got an A1. The listening was alright, couldn't get the last part of Section1, a second reason as to why Guy thought being a farmer was tough and a second thing the cat did. Anyone have any ideas?

the things the cat did were break a vase full of flowers and also destroy (or maybe a different verb with basically the same meaning) the curtains in the sitting room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

For the last section is it the same to say last night as yesterday evening? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

woopah92 wrote: »
    Was the man who owned the dog a civil servant or did I just imagine I heard that?

Yep, fonctionnaire - civil servant. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

woopah92 wrote: »

Yeah he was but I really couldn't think of what it meant in the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aaron94

so who wrote aux États-Unis en Allemagne et L'Hexagone in the comprehension. I coped it just before writing an answer

I did, is this not right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

aaron94 wrote: »
    I did, is this not right?

the question said apart from france, thats like a nickname for france. Bit harsh for them putting that in i must admit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lenny1995

ah i said fonctionnaire was a lawyer. i would of knew that if i wasnt in the exam though.. say i got a bout half marks in the listening

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aaron94

the question said apart from france, thats like a nickname for france. Bit harsh for them putting that in i must admit

Absolute bellends

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Id say I was lucky to pass that aural.
    Elle oh elle

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lenny1995

we had no notes on any of the topics in question 3 or 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I thought that was great tbh, I didn't find the listening too hard (forgot what a friggin fonctionnaire is though, civil servant as it turns out) really, nor the comprehensions. I didn't think the writtens were all that amazing, I didn't particularly want to do either of 1a or b, the diary entry was grand possibly went OTT, and I did the one about friendship. Got an A1 in my mock and that felt just as good, the listening even a bit better, if I get less I think it'll be 'cos of the oral.

No more languages ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jayo1000

I was just wondering, I answered the comprehension with in this section it says(in french obviously) and then copied the answer straight out. However I didn't put in inverted commas. How many marks will I lose?

L'Hexagone is France? Ah ffs, that's just mean. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Who in there right mind was going to know that L'Hexagone was another name for France!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Who in there right mind was going to know that L'Hexagone was another name for France!?

I would imagine theyll only take 1 mark of for it

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I did ;)

• Advertisement

Well its shaped like a Hexagon roughly so I guess thats a really crappy clue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Well my class were well aware of this fact! :P My teacher used to call it that all the time so we are aware for the exam! She must have been predicting the future! :P

I would imagine theyll only take 1 mark of for it

Yup same with particularly badly answered questions in the listening.

Ugh thats my last exam until Tuesday...I can see this spiralling into days of procrastination and laziness! Must keep going must keep going etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

C'etait relativement facile! Got an A2 in the pres so hoping I got an A1. The listening was alright, couldn't get the last part of Section1, a second reason as to why Guy thought being a farmer was tough and a second thing the cat did. Anyone have any ideas?

For the cat, I said he tore the curtains and broke a vase full of flowers I think. :) Didn't get the others!

Same I missed these two and whatever he was obliged to do at work... why exactly was his girlfriend upset actually?

I said because he hadn't taken a vacation in 4 years...something like that anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

How many points can you lose on the paper and still be in the A bracket?

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    How many points can you lose on the paper and still be in the A bracket?

Including oral, written and aural you need 340/400 to get 85 bang on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Section 1
    1. 1st April 2012.
    2. They said he had changed alot and he had become less shy.
    3. She didn't want to leave her friends for 9 months and she was afraid of becoming bored.

Section 2
    1. He spent most of his time on his uncles farm.
    2. i) Long hours, often working 10 hours a day. ii) Something to do with the field? (Anybody got the correct answer for this one?)
    3. i) He was like other young people because he went out at the weekends with his friends. ii) His girlfriend was unhappy because he hadn't taken holidays in 4 years.
    4. There was falls of snow and something to do with sheep not eating?

Section 3
    1. Got the dog for his birthday.
    2. i) Civil servant. ii) He was gone hunting with his brother-in-law.
    3. Found the cat abandoned at the riverbank.
    4. The cat broke a vase full of flowers and tore the curtains in the sitting room.

Section 4
    1. She took up athletics because her sister didn't want to be alone.
    2. i) Happened in a motorbike accident. ii) She returned to training straight after leaving hospital.
    3. i) She was disappointed in Beijing because she only received 2 silver medals and no gold medals. ii) Something along the lines of she stood on the podium for the first time in her life and she cried?
    4. She wants to tell her story to the children and she wants to show that you can still live life to the full even after an accident and with a handicap

Section 5
    1. China.
    2. i) Construction of an airport outside the town. ii) 40,000
    3. Yesterday evening.

They're the answers I got and as much as I can remember, anybody got the answers to Section 2, Q2 ii) and Q4? and Section 4, Q3 ii)?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Sugar were you supposed to say all the countries she hitch hiked in I thought the question only asked for one?

• Advertisement

What did you say for the words in the second comprehension that aren't used when talking with the temporary workers? It almost felt deceptively easy so just wanna check.

Advertisement