Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Slow Show wrote: »
    What did you say for the words in the second comprehension that aren't used when talking with the temporary workers? It almost felt deceptively easy so just wanna check.

I thought the same thing! 'Merci' and 'De rien'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

AndreaEgan wrote: »

Great! It was just the fact that they were already done out with quotation marks and stuff that unnerved me, I was like 'surely there must be more to it'.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Sugar were you supposed to say all the countries she hitch hiked in I thought the question only asked for one?

Same here I said aux etats unis thought it was one country!

Great! It was just the fact that they were already done out with quotation marks and stuff that unnerved me, I was like 'surely there must be more to it'.:D

Yeah it just seemed too easy, I was checking for a few minutes looking for more :P Turns out they were just being nice to us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I wrote all three, Etats-Unis, Allemagne and l'Hexagon. Had no idea that l'Hexagon was a nickname for France!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Well that was shyte :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Was the bonheur question about friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

I didn't put in l'Hexagon coz I don't trust the leaving cert system and hey it paid off :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

AndreaEgan wrote: »

**** i got the easiest question wrong, should have looked at that one agian haha awell

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Also does anyone know who the caricature of the woman next to Will Smith was meant to be? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Everything was amazing until 2 minutes before 12 when I realised that the diary entry said after the party.. I wrote the whole thing in the future tense. Absolutly gutted I changed all the verbs to imparfait and p.c but im not even sure if it all makes sense in that tense, tape went well though except for civil servant... hope i didnt lose a grade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

"Mais elle n'est pas contente car je n'ai pas pris de vacance depuis quatre ans" - She is unhappy because he hasn't taken a holiday for four years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

It's an absolute disgrace if you don't get the points just for including l'Hexagon, and I fear you won't.

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    It's an absolute disgrace if you don't get the points just for including l'Hexagon, and I fear you won't.

I don't see how you will get full when the question said apart from france

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

Lads don't forget that they always alter the marking schemes in french to give very few points for the questions that very few people got. It'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Why would you get the marks for getting a question wrong?

Isco wrote: »
    Everything was amazing until 2 minutes before 12 when I realised that the diary entry said after the party.. I wrote the whole thing in the future tense. Absolutly gutted I changed all the verbs to imparfait and p.c but im not even sure if it all makes sense in that tense, tape went well though except for civil servant... hope i didnt lose a grade :(

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh didn't know that, anyone know how many marks could be lost for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

everyone found it really easy but i didn't :/ hitch hiking is really out there, the meat scandal..really? and friendship seems easy until i started writing its quite hard to make an impressive friendship essay , comprehension 1 was alright i suppose, liked comprehension two , listening wasn't that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

007driver wrote: »
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh didn't know that, anyone know how many marks could be lost for that

communication would suffer but it was a common mistake so id say there will be a clause in the marking scheme to help ya out... say "mark as you would out of 20 instead of 30" or something

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

For those of you asking about the two two reasons why, according to Guy, the job of a farmer is hard:

"Le métier d'agriculteur est dur. D'abord, les horaires sont longs puisqu'on peut travailler jusqu'à dix heures par jour. En plus, on peut être obligés de se passer de repas pendant la récolte pour travailler dans les champs. Mais je ne me plainds pas"

- First of all, The hours / schedule are/is long as one can work up to 10 hours per day.
    - Furthermore, you may be obliged to go without / to do without meal(s) during the harvest to work in the fields.

• Advertisement

foxymm wrote: »
    - Furthermore, you may be obliged to go without / to do without meal(s) during the harvest to work in the fields.

Crap. All I could make out was fields, never mentioned anything about meals.. Thanks for posting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

woopah92 wrote: »
    Why would you get the marks for getting a question wrong?

Because it's a ridiculous question, only a small minority are going to have known something which I'd regard as a table quiz fact, I wasn't sure what it was in the actual exam itself so I just wrote all three down, course I'd have to get a knife in the back from the SEC, that question really did show how good I am at French didn't it! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Yes took a punt on skipping meals!! makes up for a disastrous misinterpretation of the last bit of q1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I reckon the Hexagon question will end up something like 2/3 marks for including it, 5 for not. It'd sadly be within their rights to give it 0 though, and they may well do it if they need to reduce the people getting high grades. Odd thing is I think I can remember my teacher pointing at the map of France before and telling us this, ugh. :p Ah well.

I reckon the Hexagon question will end up something like 2/3 marks for including it, 5 for not. It'd sadly be within their rights to give it 0 though, and they may well do it if they need to reduce the people getting high grades. Odd thing is I think I can remember my teacher pointing at the map of France before and telling us this, ugh. :p Ah well.
    For some strange reason I got mixed up between the hexagon and the pentagon, you know the government building in america?? So I just wrote the country down. My retardedness has saved me from losing a mark. Lovely stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Because it's a ridiculous question, only a small minority are going to have known something which I'd regard as a table quiz fact, I wasn't sure what it was in the actual exam itself so I just wrote all three down, course I'd have to get a knife in the back from the SEC, that question really did show how good I am at French didn't it! :mad:
    I covered that in 1st year, one of the few thinks that have stayed with me. I've come across this a few times in weather reports on aurals too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

My teacher was randomly telling us like 2 weeks ago that France's nickname was l'Hexagone. Lucky I was listening in that class :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    My teacher was randomly telling us like 2 weeks ago that France's nickname was l'Hexagone. Lucky I was listening in that class :P

Sitting in the exam & read 'L'Hexagone' and suddenly remembered during one of our free French classes in 1st Year our teacher randomly told us L'Hexagone was another name for France and being the silly little 1st years that we were thought this was hilarious because France is shaped somewhat like a hexagon. Thankfully it payed off today though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

What did people get for the imparfait verb? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 keepingcalm

Could not agree more, I bet there is someone from the SEC having a right aul laugh at our expense right now. Apart from that though I think the comprehensions were good...such a shame!

Advertisement