Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

007driver wrote: »
    où = where
    ou is or
    isnt it

sorry computer autocorrected it to où as it is set to French but i'm not sure why it didn't leave it as ou. you are of course perfectly correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

foxymm wrote: »
    Q2. Jeanne, 28 ans, a quitté son village natal pour travailler a Paris. Elle y habite seule.[/B]

1. (i) Les bouchons s'étaient formés dans la ville.
    (ii) one of:
    - avoir un travail passionnant
    - pouvoir s'acheter une maison avec un grand jardin
    - aller à l'opéra avec un mari charmant

2. (i) Il/l'appartement se trouve dans le 20e, au septième étage sans ascenseur.
    (ii) Pour le pronom en italique (le), trouvez le mot auquel il se réfère: rapport

3. (i) (Il les trouvera) sur son bureau, dans le classeur vert, à gauche.
    (ii) 'Merci' et 'de rien'. *proscrits = interdits -> banned/forbidden

4. (i) (essayant en même temps de) cliquer sur la souris pour envoyer un courriel.
    (ii) (d) fait toutes les taches que ses collègues veulent éviter.

5. (i) Machinalement *synonyme pour 'sans réfléchir'
    (ii) Elle/La vieille dame remonta le manteau de l'animal/son chien jusqu'à son cou poilu, par peur que son protégé prenne froid.

6. Do you think Jeanne is well treated as a temporary employee? Two separate points required here, substantiated by what is in the text.

I wonder would I get any marks for Q6(ii) where i said "she talks to the dog as if it were a child" or what ever it was? Full marks on two comprehensions apart from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

sorry computer autocorrected it to où as it is set to French but i'm not sure why it didn't leave it as ou. you are of course perfectly correct!
    was it ou in the exam ?
    was it not where and what time one leaves

more than likely not...... however in the text it states: "elle n'avait qu'un appartement dans le 20e, au septieme étage sans ascenseur" meaning She only had an apartment in the 20th district, on the 7th floor, without a lift / elevator. It will all depend on marking scheme and how they move the parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

One of the questions on our mock was similar to the one about whether going to college and getting a degree is needed to succeed at work. It was something about education and how it's the key to the future or something along those lines.

The bad news though about that mock question was that I only managed to get 18/40 for it. Practically the whole thing was underlined in red but I had no idea what's wrong with most of it.

• Advertisement

A verb in the imperative? Crap I read it as the infinitive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Q2. Jeanne, 28 ans, a quitté son village natal pour travailler a Paris. Elle y habite seule.[/B]

1. (i) Les bouchons s'étaient formés dans la ville.
    (ii) one of:
    - avoir un travail passionnant
    - pouvoir s'acheter une maison avec un grand jardin
    - aller à l'opéra avec un mari charmant

2. (i) Il/l'appartement se trouve dans le 20e, au septième étage sans ascenseur.
    (ii) Pour le pronom en italique (le), trouvez le mot auquel il se réfère: rapport

3. (i) (Il les trouvera) sur son bureau, dans le classeur vert, à gauche.
    (ii) 'Merci' et 'de rien'. *proscrits = interdits -> banned/forbidden

4. (i) (essayant en même temps de) cliquer sur la souris pour envoyer un courriel.
    (ii) (d) fait toutes les taches que ses collègues veulent éviter.

5. (i) Machinalement *synonyme pour 'sans réfléchir'
    (ii) Elle/La vieille dame remonta le manteau de l'animal/son chien jusqu'à son cou poilu, par peur que son protégé prenne froid.

6. Do you think Jeanne is well treated as a temporary employee? Two separate points required here, substantiated by what is in the text.
    What do you mean by proscrits are banned??

007driver wrote: »
    was it ou in the exam ?
    was it not where and what time one leaves

Just re-verified that yes sorry in text it states "on sait avec qui, où et à quelle heure on part" meaning I would think that the marking scheme will allow for:

- On sait avec qui on part
    - On sait où on part
    - On sait à quelle heure on part
    - And all 2/3 together...

...as the question states "Nommez un avantage du covoiturage" as long as you didn't add in something that negates a correct answer when giving more than one detail / excess unnecessary matierial

The correct answer is "merci" et "de rien". i just added in what was in the text: "Merci" et "de rien" semblaient etre des mots proscrits pour les intémediaires which means:

Thanks and not at all seemed to be words banned for the temp workers. you didn't have to include that in answer. I was just explaining text/answer

The correct answer is "merci" et "de rien". i just added in what was in the text: "Merci" et "de rien" semblaient etre des mots proscrits pour les intémediaires which means:

Thanks and not at all seemed to be words banned for the temp workers. you didn't have to include that in answer. I was just explaining text/answer

Ohh so if you have those weird French quote marks in your answer would it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

For the first question about traffic jams... were there two sentences that would have sufficed?

Ohh so if you have those weird French quote marks in your answer would it matter?

not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

For question 1b, I wrote about Bill Gates, apprenticeships, and a small paragraph on how I know people with arts degrees who can't get job in this current economic climate and say to themselves "Beggars can't be choosers" as they clean the toilets of MacDonalds.

D'ye think I'll be marked down for bigotry? :P

NB: I have arts degrees down on my CAO.

not at all

Phewwww! I thought there was a weird rule where you couldn't use them in answers.
    So I got full marks in A and lost 10/12 marks in B if the 20e etage must be mentioned. I really hate how if you get one multiple choice Q wrong then 5 marks are gone straight away :/ Would you possibly mind telling me why it wasn't that "she didn't want to do administrative work"? :) Was just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

For question 1b, I wrote about Bill Gates, apprenticeships, and a small paragraph on how I know people with arts degrees who can't get job in this current economic climate and say to themselves "Beggars can't be choosers" as they clean the toilets of MacDonalds.

I did Q1 (b) too, and from what I can remember I wrote down about Bill Gates too. And also about singers and sports stars who don't have degrees but are successful. I hope I get above 35 for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keepingcalm

Hahaha that is genius! Seems like it deals with the topic in a fairly rounded way too so nah I'd say you're fine there :)

Haha the funny thing is that if someones correcting a French LC paper they likely did an arts degree in languages. I think?

For comp 2

Q5 ii) i wrote , La vieille femme parlait à son chien comme on parlerait à un enfant

you think i would get any marks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Haha the funny thing is that if someones correcting a French LC paper they likely did an arts degree in languages. I think?

Yeah, it crossed my mind that they would, but it kind of looked like I was blaming the economy more (I hope- I didn't know how to say any other kind of degree :P ). Sure they've a solid job correcting papers and teaching, I hope I haven't lost too much favour with them :pac:

Yeah, it crossed my mind that they would, but it kind of looked like I was blaming the economy more (I hope- I didn't know how to say any other kind of degree :P ). Sure they've a solid job correcting papers and teaching, I hope I haven't lost too much favour with them :pac:

Nah they have to be as objective as possible, otherwise it wouldn't be a fair assessment of your work! Did that Q too, wasn't too bad. I noticed it came up at least twice in the past papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Ok, here’s my solution to the reading and listening comprehension. I am a French teacher and have examined.

Please bear in mind that more or less information may be acceptable for full marks once the marking scheme is devised. There will also be partial marks awarded.

Also, please remember that someone like me is not infallible! I’ll make a couple of other observations at the end.

Reading Comprehension
    Q1.

1. (i) (en) juillet et août /(ii) pour des raisons de sécurité

2. (i) Elle agite un panneau « Geneve »
    (ii) Ils ont dû patienter presque trois heures en plein soleil

3. (i) On sait avec qui/où/à quelle heure on part
    On sait si le conducteur est fumeur ou non-fumeur
    C’est plus sain que le stop
    Il y a un partage des frais
    C’est organisé
    (ii) (b)

4. (i) quelques stratégies pour etre pris rapidement
    les meilleurs endroits
    des recommandations sur le comportement en voiture
    (ii) aux Etats-Unis et en Allemagne

5 (i) Faites
    (ii) Elle prend trente secondes pour juger
    Elle arrive vite à savoir si, oui ou non, elle peut faire confiance (possibly)

Q2.

1. (i) les bouchons s’étaient formés dans la ville
    (ii) avoir un travail passionnant
    s’acheter une maison avec un jardin
    aller à l’opéra avec un mari charmant

2. (i) Il est situé au septième étage sans ascenseur
    (ii) rapport

2. (i) sur son bureau dans le classeur vert à gauche
    3. (ii) « Merci » et « de rien » (quotation probably not required)

4. (i) cliquer sur la souris pour envoyer un courriel
    les saisies informatiques en tout genre
    (ii) (d)

4. (i) machinalement
    (ii) Elle remonta/Elle a remonté le manteau de l’animal jusqu'à son cou poilu

Listening Comprehension

Section I

1. 1st April (last year)
    2. He had changed a lot/He had become less shy
    3. (a) She didn’t want to leave her friends for nine months
    (b) She was afraid that she would be/get bored

Section II

1. On his uncle’s farm near Poitiers
    2. (a) The hours are long/You can work up to ten hours a day
    (b) You can be forced/You may have to skip meals during the harvest to work in the fields.
    3. (i) He goes out at the weekends with his girlfriend.
    (ii) He hasn’t taken holidays/a holiday for four years.
    4. (a) There was heavy snowfall in the region
    (b) The sheep on the hills had nothing to eat

Section III

1. (i) (For) his birthday
    (ii) Civil servant
    2. (i) To go hunting with his brother-in-law
    (ii) By/Beside the river/On the river bank
    3. (a) It/He broke a vase full of flowers
    (b) It/He ripped the curtains in the sitting room

Section IV

1. (i) Her sister didn’t want to do athletics alone
    (ii) A motorbike accident
    2. To restart training/To get back into training/To start training again
    3. (i) She only won two silver medals
    (ii) She cried on the podium for the first time in her life
    4. (a) To tell her story to the children
    (b) To show that one can lead a full life after an amputation

Section V

1. China
    2. (i) The construction/building of a new airport near the city
    (ii) 40,000
    3. Yesterday evening/shortly before midnight

There’s been plenty of comment about l’Hexagone. Unfortunately, the syllabus does expect students to familiarize themselves with language/culture/civilisation of France and the French speaking world. To an extent, this might be seen as the examiner having a bit of a hissy fit and reminding you that you are supposed to take a proper interest in French whether you feel it’s forced upon you or not. I can imagine that’s not what everyone wants to hear. ‘A part la France’ means apart from France so reference to l’Hexagone in your answer might actually be penalised quite severely, at least in the draft marking scheme. They may relent and just penalise it -1 or -2 once the scheme beds in.

Slightly similar situation regarding Nantes. It’s not a town, it’s actually a major city even though the word is the same. Will they accept town? Probably but I wouldn’t be 100% confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Woo looks like I got at least 55/60 for the first one (depends on the Hexagon thing, assuming it'll be a big fat 0 for saying it), and 60/60 for the second one. All assuming I get full marks in q6 which I'm assuming I will as my points were valid and supported from the text. :)

My q1(b) was so boring tbh, I just agreed and said that while there are exceptions (used Steve Jobs, inspired from Irish :p), these are few and far between. Answered the question though and I'm hoping my crazy diary entry will make up for the lack of imagination in q1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Would it be acceptable for the 'last winter' one to say that him and his neighbours went out to save the animals? I assumed it was, even though I heard the sheep had nothing to eat too.

Slow slow, sorry yes, absolutely. My bad. I had meant to add it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

worrx wrote: »
    I'm absolutely killing myself for doing the same thing with the journal piece! I completely missed the fact that it said AFTER the party! It was such a good journal too, I think! I need an A1 or A2 and that journal is the only thing I made a mess of!

I said functionnaire to be an office worker :P ah well

will a lot of marks be deducted for this?? I was really hoping for an A

I can't really see a way around civil servant.

On the journal intime, depending on the overall standard they may come up with a standard penalty and then mark normally. Way too early to know that yet. Try to put it out of your mind if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

linguist wrote: »
    Ok, here’s my solution to the reading and listening comprehension. I am a French teacher and have examined.

Please bear in mind that more or less information may be acceptable for full marks once the marking scheme is devised. There will also be partial marks awarded.

Also, please remember that someone like me is not infallible! I’ll make a couple of other observations at the end.

Reading Comprehension
    Q1.

1. (i) (en) juillet et août /(ii) pour des raisons de sécurité

2. (i) Elle agite un panneau « Geneve »
    (ii) Ils ont dû patienter presque trois heures en plein soleil

3. (i) On sait avec qui/où/à quelle heure on part
    On sait si le conducteur est fumeur ou non-fumeur
    C’est plus sain que le stop
    Il y a un partage des frais
    C’est organisé
    (ii) (b)

4. (i) quelques stratégies pour etre pris rapidement
    les meilleurs endroits
    des recommandations sur le comportement en voiture
    (ii) aux Etats-Unis et en Allemagne

5 (i) Faites
    (ii) Elle prend trente secondes pour juger
    Elle arrive vite à savoir si, oui ou non, elle peut faire confiance (possibly)

Q2.

1. (i) les bouchons s’étaient formés dans la ville
    (ii) avoir un travail passionnant
    s’acheter une maison avec un jardin
    aller à l’opéra avec un mari charmant

2. (i) Il est situé au septième étage sans ascenseur
    (ii) rapport

2. (i) sur son bureau dans le classeur vert à gauche
    3. (ii) « Merci » et « de rien » (quotation probably not required)

4. (i) cliquer sur la souris pour envoyer un courriel
    les saisies informatiques en tout genre
    (ii) (d)

4. (i) machinalement
    (ii) Elle remonta/Elle a remonté le manteau de l’animal jusqu'à son cou poilu

Listening Comprehension

Section I

1. 1st April (last year)
    2. He had changed a lot/He had become less shy
    3. (a) She didn’t want to leave her friends for nine months
    (b) She was afraid that she would be/get bored

Section II

1. On his uncle’s farm near Poitiers
    2. (a) The hours are long/You can work up to ten hours a day
    (b) You can be forced/You may have to skip meals during the harvest to work in the fields.
    3. (i) He goes out at the weekends with his girlfriend.
    (ii) He hasn’t taken holidays/a holiday for four years.
    4. (a) There was heavy snowfall in the region
    (b) The sheep on the hills had nothing to eat

Section III

1. (i) (For) his birthday
    (ii) Civil servant
    2. (i) To go hunting with his brother-in-law
    (ii) By/Beside the river/On the river bank
    3. (a) It/He broke a vase full of flowers
    (b) It/He ripped the curtains in the sitting room

Section IV

1. (i) Her sister didn’t want to do athletics alone
    (ii) A motorbike accident
    2. To restart training/To get back into training/To start training again
    3. (i) She only won two silver medals
    (ii) She cried on the podium for the first time in her life
    4. (a) To tell her story to the children
    (b) To show that one can lead a full life after an amputation

Section V

1. China
    2. (i) The construction/building of a new airport near the city
    (ii) 40,000
    3. Yesterday evening/shortly before midnight

There’s been plenty of comment about l’Hexagone. Unfortunately, the syllabus does expect students to familiarize themselves with language/culture/civilisation of France and the French speaking world. To an extent, this might be seen as the examiner having a bit of a hissy fit and reminding you that you are supposed to take a proper interest in French whether you feel it’s forced upon you or not. I can imagine that’s not what everyone wants to hear. ‘A part la France’ means apart from France so reference to l’Hexagone in your answer might actually be penalised quite severely, at least in the draft marking scheme. They may relent and just penalise it -1 or -2 once the scheme beds in.

Slightly similar situation regarding Nantes. It’s not a town, it’s actually a major city even though the word is the same. Will they accept town? Probably but I wouldn’t be 100% confident.

Thanks for this :) Do you know how many marks goes for each answer in the comprehension and tape? I know the last one in the comprehension is 10 but with the rest?

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Thanks for this :) Do you know how many marks goes for each answer in the comprehension and tape? I know the last one in the comprehension is 10 but with the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

I feel your pain. I looked and thought: Oh s**t, my guys will write that in the future. It was very sneaky the way it had "après la fete" at the very end. Don't worry - you will be among many who did that so don't worry.

• Advertisement

There is no way we can anticipate the actual marks yet.

Normally the reading comprehensions are five all the way and it varies a bit for the listening. It all depends on actual candidate performance. You've no way of knowing that and you could really wreck your head trying. Just be assured that it'll be the usual bell curve of marks and you've a good idea what you're worth.

I have to say Andrea that I've spotted a few of your posts and you seem to be right up there so no stress:)

Advertisement