Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL French Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

wow how lucky are we that has got to be the easiest french lc in years. i got on pretty well in the comprehensions but might lose a couple of marks for not manipulating in certain things but only got one of the questions completely wrong. it was Q2. 2 ii) i said taper as i thought rapport was a relationship or something. guess if i had put it into context it would have been more obvious report/rapport so annoyed that i wrote rapport and then crossed it out.
    The listening was grand only 1-2 mistakes and looking back on my mocks thats a huge improvement. just a question about the listening in section 2 Q4. i said there was heavy snowfall and the animals had nothing to eat on the one line. then i heard something about all his neigbours helping out or something so i put that down.. if that doesnt count is it still possible to get full marks?
    with the journal intime i has started writing it in the future but then i read the question again and realised that its after sooo happy write now that i noticed it :)
    overall i have to say i'm very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

linguist wrote: »
    There is no way we can anticipate the actual marks yet.

Normally the reading comprehensions are five all the way and it varies a bit for the listening. It all depends on actual candidate performance. You've no way of knowing that and you could really wreck your head trying. Just be assured that it'll be the usual bell curve of marks and you've a good idea what you're worth.

I have to say Andrea that I've spotted a few of your posts and you seem to be right up there so no stress:)

All going well 55/60 and 50/60 :) Listening went pretty good too so overall I'm happy with it now :) Anyways whats done is done, can't fix it now! Thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

NellyDean wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering, for q.1 today I did the one about an encounter hitchhiking.
    Wrote a lot about being worried before etc, then said how I made a new friend on the trip, thought he was beautiful but it turned out he had a girlfriend :L but I was still glad cos of the whole experience and well, "tout est bien qui finit bien"

just wondering did I stick to task ok? Might have went a bit off topic and worried I didn't focus on a specific event happening in the trip or something.

If so, how many marks would I lose for this out of 40?

That sounds very good to me .. can't see why you'd lose any marks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worrx

vale95 wrote: »
    will a lot of marks be deducted for this?? I was really hoping for an A

Likewise! My piece is comprehensible and all if you were asking about party preparations, but I just misinterpreted i.e did not read the question
    I can't really see a way around civil servant.

On the journal intime, depending on the overall standard they may come up with a standard penalty and then mark normally. Way too early to know that yet. Try to put it out of your mind if possible.

That's optimistic enough for me! And I am trying to put it out of my head, it is difficult though just thinking about all the easy marks simply lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

vale95 wrote: »
    will a lot of marks be deducted for this?? I was really hoping for an A

Don't panic! ou'll lose some Language marks -- that's all. It was so so sly that they had après la fete at the end. I know my own students have probably done the same -- I was too scared to ask! Best wishes! PS - don't worry -- you won't lose too many!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

Listening was shocking say I went from a B1 to a B3 because of it :/

Seeing people post the answers to both listening and comprehension has put me at ease. Hoping for an A2. B1 is probably more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

Seeing people post the answers to both listening and comprehension has put me at ease. Hoping for an A2. B1 is probably more likely.

same it all depends on how well the examiner think my writing bits are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

For Q1: I dunno if I went off topic :/ i wrote about how we shouldn't put emphasis on degrees because the education system is too shyte to get one and that we shouldn't focus on degrees because of that :/:pac:

How far off topic can you go without losing much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Well the question asked about succeeding in the world of work 'le monde du travail' so it really comes down to how you linked your answer to that. I suppose you could have argued that many businesses are dissatisfied with aspects of the Irish education system and the quality of graduates and that many of the skills needed in the workplace aren't developed at school. It all comes down to whether you answered the whole question or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

teacher30 wrote: »
    That sounds very good to me .. can't see why you'd lose any marks! :-)
    Thanks! great relief. :)

Because of messing up the diary and quickly having to rewrite it I probably lost a lot of marks so hoping my Q.1 was strong enough to make up for this!

Hoping to maintain my A1 from the mock but I'm unsure...find out in august i spose, "On verra" !

Well the question asked about succeeding in the world of work 'le monde du travail' so it really comes down to how you linked your answer to that. I suppose you could have argued that many businesses are dissatisfied with aspects of the Irish education system and the quality of graduates and that many of the skills needed in the workplace aren't developed at school. It all comes down to whether you answered the whole question or not.

Oh dear.

Ok, just try to focus on all that's good. Luckily the marks in French are spread widely. They're not suddenly going to evaporate. That question is worth 10% of your marks - your oral was worth 25%. I hope that's made it better and not worse:)

Ok, just try to focus on all that's good. Luckily the marks in French are spread widely. They're not suddenly going to evaporate. That question is worth 10% of your marks - your oral was worth 25%. I hope that's made it better and not worse:)

It was kind of relevant, I made sure to mention success everywhere and degrees. I checked my grammar again and again. Hopefully ill get near to 20 for language and an ok portion for content!
    I got 88 in the mocks - praying to god I went up two per cent!

Oh my god I just realized that I continuously spelt "la reussite" as "la reussissite".
    Oh god there goes my A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

For comp 2

Q5 ii) i wrote , La vieille femme parlait à son chien comme on parlerait à un enfant

you think i would get any marks ?

any one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

007driver wrote: »
    For comp 2

Q5 ii) i wrote , La vieille femme parlait à son chien comme on parlerait à un enfant

you think i would get any marks ?

any one ?
    No speaking is not a gesture in the true sense of the word. Stop spamming or randy will see you are banned.

Meleanor: Ok, you need to stop this. Your A will not be lost for one isolated mistake like that. They are not out to get you! Put simply, no language marks are deducted for a small number of minor errors. Something like that (which you probably said 2-3 times) would probably cost you 2-3. To be honest, it won't cost you anything in isolation because the mark is an overall appreciation of the quality of your language. Seriously, you can't objectively assess yourself like this. 88 in the mocks is seriously impressive - trust in yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

No speaking is not a gesture in the true sense of the word. Stop spamming or randy will see you are banned.

Seriously stop making silly statements. They posted it twice because the other post got drowned with everyone posting in at once and perhaps they are worried and need an answer now. Spamming for posting something twice within the space of about two hours...hahaha
    Anyway I too would like an answer

Seriously stop making silly statements. They posted it twice because the other post got drowned with everyone posting in at once and perhaps they are worried and need an answer now. Spamming for posting something twice within the space of about two hours...hahaha
    Anyway I too would like an answer

I don't feel like being lectured by someone whose name is weirdspider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I won't stoop to the level of picking faults with your username as you have done with mine as its the weakest, most amateur form of an argument you could propose. But since Boards won't let you block people AFAIK I'll let you get one more idiotic comment out of me, a person you don't know anything about on the Internet. Won't ever be contacting you on this forum henceforth.
    Sorry for any OT ness!

Top man this spiderlad is picking fights on an online forum

Anyway, back on topic. Sadly I can't see talking to the dog being a gesture. But that's why we have marking conferences and a scheme that is under review. I wouldn't rule it out completely but it certainly won't make the first draft I'd have thought.

Ya talking to the dog is out of the question in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I won't stoop to the level of picking faults with your username as you have done with mine as its the weakest, most amateur form of an argument you could propose. But since Boards won't let you block people AFAIK I'll let you get one more idiotic comment out of me, a person you don't know anything about on the Internet. Won't ever be contacting you on this forum henceforth.
    Sorry for any OT ness!
    Top man this spiderlad is picking fights on an online forum
    Cut it out, you two!

Meleanor: Ok, you need to stop this. Your A will not be lost for one isolated mistake like that. They are not out to get you! Put simply, no language marks are deducted for a small number of minor errors. Something like that (which you probably said 2-3 times) would probably cost you 2-3. To be honest, it won't cost you anything in isolation because the mark is an overall appreciation of the quality of your language. Seriously, you can't objectively assess yourself like this. 88 in the mocks is seriously impressive - trust in yourself.

Ok I'm sorry, I freak out a bit over the post mortems of exams :( but thank you so much! I worked so hard at French...it would kill me not to reap the rewards...

yeah randy in the house!! whos in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

yeah randy in the house!! whos in the house?
    You won't be if you don't cop on! :p

/end of

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

foxymm wrote: »
    sorry computer autocorrected it to où as it is set to French but i'm not sure why it didn't leave it as ou. you are of course perfectly correct!
    Oh be the lord... throughout my essays I used où as or... I hope I'm not docked much marks for this, what a stupid mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Phewwww! I thought there was a weird rule where you couldn't use them in answers.
    So I got full marks in A and lost 10/12 marks in B if the 20e etage must be mentioned. I really hate how if you get one multiple choice Q wrong then 5 marks are gone straight away :/ Would you possibly mind telling me why it wasn't that "she didn't want to do administrative work"? :) Was just wondering

Because in option (a) it states: refuse de faire le travail administratif de l'entreprise.

Jeanne didn't refuse to do it. Her colleagues wanted to avoid it i.e. (d) fait toutes les taches que ses collegues veulent éviter.

Advertisement