Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cb400 problem

• 08-06-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Went to start the bike this morning and she seemed very low on battery power. I noticed the engine kill switch was engaged so I switched it back. Bike still didn't want to start. I held in the clutch and gave her a roll and she started. So off I went on my 40 mile commute with no problems. Finished work today and the bike still seemed a little hesitant to start. When I did get going there was no problems until I literally pulled into my driveway and the bike conked out??? I loaned out my battery charger and wont have it back until tomorrow. A neighbor pointed towards a possible battery/ rectifier problem.?

I think the fact that the engine kill switch was pressed means some kids where sitting on the bike and twisting the accelerator & flooding the engine. Could this be my problem- flooded carbs/engine??? I did commute 80 miles since the trouble this morning so im not sure its that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was the bike switched off by the kill switch before? This leaves the lights on, on alot of bikes. So the battery is probably on its last legs....and the commute charged it but not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ive never used the kill switch to turn off the bike. One of the kids ( not my own ) must have been at it. Ill plug the battery into the charger tomorrow and see what she reads. To be honest I never thought the battery was 100% from the start.

Hondas are prone to the reg/rec giving trouble.....could very well be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

can you get your hands on a multimetre??

meter2.gif if you set it to the 200 beside the setting on the picture you can measure volts in tens. when the engine is running touch the red off the pos and the black off neg and see what your getting? it generally needs around 13v+ to be charging the battery, if you are getting the voltage it is more than likely the battery, if the voltage is 12 or below then there is no power going back into the battery, probabaly best to test with another battery, a car battery will work with jump leads but if the battery is in a car do not start the car! again test the voltage with the bike running and see what you get.

bitburger wrote: »
    can you get your hands on a multimetre??

meter2.gif if you set it to the 200 beside the setting on the picture you can measure volts in tens. when the engine is running touch the red off the pos and the black off neg and see what your getting? it generally needs around 13v+ to be charging the battery, if you are getting the voltage it is more than likely the battery, if the voltage is 12 or below then there is no power going back into the battery, probabaly best to test with another battery, a car battery will work with jump leads but if the battery is in a car do not start the car! again test the voltage with the bike running and see what you get.

Fair play Bitburger. Ill give it a blast tomorrow evening. Sounds simple enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Hondas are prone to the reg/rec giving trouble.....could very well be that.

Yep, the OH's Super Four had to have the rectifier and battery changed not long after we got it. Apparently, it's a common fault.

@ Joe - I have a charger here if you're stuck, you know where I am, just stroll up and give us a knock. ;)

Yep, the OH's Super Four had to have the rectifier and battery changed not long after we got it. Apparently, it's a common fault.

@ Joe - I have a charger here if you're stuck, you know where I am, just stroll up and give us a knock. ;)

Cheers for the offer. I have to meet up with the bro tomorrow anyway. He borrowed the charger for a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

btw i had similar problem with my cb400 --> it was burned regulator - the value i was geting were --> 11,5v when not charning and over 13v when reving going slightly up. i went to garage and they fixed the issue the same day for 140€ ..... :(

You will get a reg/rec in city spares/costellos cheap enough.

Ok I got the readings from the multimeter which are as follows

Neutral, 1200 RPM = 12.6v
    3200 RPM = 13.8v

When I connected the battery to the charger it started on 50% of a charge. So I guess the battery was not getting a charge when driving???

What do you lads think. Are there any other tricks to try?

Ill charge up the battery and see how she goes.

If it is the rectifier/regulator, Where would one find such a gizmo on the bike?

• Advertisement

The reg/rec is black and only the size of a wallet and sits usually under the saddle.

The reg/rec is black and only the size of a wallet and sits usually under the saddle.

Nice one. Think I know it now. I just copped something after reading the manual for the battery. Whenever I connected the charger to the battery before it would start off at 75% which I took for the battery having a full 75% charge. But this is actually 75% of the remaining battery. So the battery could be bolloxed. Ill have a better idea tomorrow after an overnight charge. Ive located city spares so im sorted if I need a new R/R

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nice one. Think I know it now. I just copped something after reading the manual for the battery. Whenever I connected the charger to the battery before it would start off at 75% which I took for the battery having a full 75% charge. But this is actually 75% of the remaining battery. So the battery could be bolloxed. Ill have a better idea tomorrow after an overnight charge. Ive located city spares so im sorted if I need a new R/R

IIRC it's behind the black triangular panel on the left side of the bike.

I had the same problem with I had my CB400. New RR & battery sorted it. Bout the only thing that goes wrong with older Hondas to be fair.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    IIRC it's behind the black triangular panel on the left side of the bike.

I had the same problem with I had my CB400. New RR & battery sorted it. Bout the only thing that goes wrong with older Hondas to be fair.

Thanks Kam. It can wait till tomorrow. I have the feet up now:) At this stage im thinking its both battery and RR acting up. I can prob get a battery for 60 quid and hopefully a RR for around 30 second hand.

Is the RR a simple plug in device or is there soldering involved?

that doesnt condemn the reg/rec it should jump a few more volts with more rpm, is it a sealed battery?

Thanks Kam. It can wait till tomorrow. I have the feet up now:) At this stage im thinking its both battery and RR acting up. I can prob get a battery for 60 quid and hopefully a RR for around 30 second hand.

Is the RR a simple plug in device or is there soldering involved?

Simple connector unless it's been hacked apart previously.

Battery is a Bosch M6. Is says ''Do not open'' on the battery so I assume that means its sealed? The Volts did rise when I increased the rpm. Are you saying that the RR could be fine and its just the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They'd just plug in
    - be careful though
    - bolt the new one in place first before testing it
    - some depend on the metal they are bolted to to get rid of heat
    - some seem to have no proper overheat protection so they just get hot and run away with themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

But this is actually 75% of the remaining battery. So the battery could be bolloxed. Ill have a better idea tomorrow after an overnight charge. Ive located city spares so im sorted if I need a new R/R

You'd need to poke it with a discharge tester ( kinds like attached photo )

- it just put a load across the battery and the weak cells will show up

- you need a tester intended for bike batteries instead of submarine batteries

need to be a bit careful doing this - battery can explode and cover you in nice warm acid

Whatever you do dont buy a battery on its own....as if it is the reg/rec it will bollocks the new battery. If anything get the reg/rec 1st and then charge the battery.....or both together.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    You'd need to poke it with a discharge tester ( kinds like attached photo )

- it just put a load across the battery and the weak cells will show up

- you need a tester intended for bike batteries instead of submarine batteries

need to be a bit careful doing this - battery can explode and cover you in nice warm acid

I think ill give that a miss. Like wonda said, ill just get a new battery and RR. At least ill know then that they are 100%

Battery is a Bosch M6. Is says ''Do not open'' on the battery so I assume that means its sealed? The Volts did rise when I increased the rpm. Are you saying that the RR could be fine and its just the battery?

could well be, if the battery is toast it wont hurt to get a new one and see what happens, yeah do not opens means "sealed" ive taken the caps off of dead ones before and added distilled water as you would with a traditional battery and its improved the health of the battery, it is only really a temporary measure though

Ok so I charged the battery overnight and stuck her in today. She started with no problems. Volts reading was 12.4 on idle?

Thats grand joke, but will it sustain the charge. If the reg/rec is fooked you will be back to square one as the battery is not getting charged while driving.

Thats grand joke, but will it sustain the charge. If the reg/rec is fooked you will be back to square one as the battery is not getting charged while driving.

I know but it will be Friday before I get to use the bike again. Ive decided if it doesnt hold a charge my first step is to hit city spares for a RR.

Ok so I charged the battery overnight and stuck her in today. She started with no problems. Volts reading was 12.4 on idle?

Whats it reading at 3-4k rpm?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Whats it reading at 3-4k rpm?

From a reading I done yesterday i was getting 3200 RPM = 13.8v which says to me it is giving a charge. Is that correct?

Ps, I removed the side panels today and didn't see a RR so it is under the fuel tank.

seems like its charging to me, it can give upto 15v,

13.8v is perfect Joe. So if its putting that out and still goosed it has to be the RR.

• Advertisement

thats when the bikes running though, so 13.8 says charging to me, forgot to ask you to check the voltage of the battery without the bike running, preferably after sitting overnight, if theres a voltage drop below 12v your battery is at fault,

Advertisement