Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cb400 problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks lads. Wont get a chance to look at the bike until late this evening. Ill report back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

have a gander:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

If it is the r/r goosed, I'd be trying to get a mosfet type unit to replace the one thats there now (which is most likely a shunt type - which are very prone to burning out).

Personally wouldnt buy a secondhand shunt one anyway - I'd be a little concerned about it just happening again, and taking a new battery with it (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wossack wrote: »
    have a gander:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

If it is the r/r goosed, I'd be trying to get a mosfet type unit to replace the one thats there now (which is most likely a shunt type - which are very prone to burning out).

Personally wouldnt buy a secondhand shunt one anyway - I'd be a little concerned about it just happening again, and taking a new battery with it (again)
    Easy enough to convert over to the newer type Mosfet units, easternbeaver.com sell the plugs for the FH series reg-recs as fitted to Yam R1's and late model 'Blades.
    I have one to fit but need to cut the fins down as they are massive on the FH-011 the FH020 is
    much more compact.

Shindengen codes are FH for Mosfet type regs and SH for the old shunt type( Mosfet is still shunt but switched differently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....tbh 12.4v at idle is too low. It should hover at/above that with bike off, otherwise battery is fubar'd.

13.8v - 14.4v (low/higher) revs would be ideal no's to see.

Oh, and, you mentioned you loaned your charge to your brother for a car - is it a car charger then ? If so, that'll fubar your bike battery in no time. Car chargers are too powerful for bike batteries. Charge at no more than 10% of the battery's capacity - so ideally your looking for a 1000mA - 1800mA charger for a bike like the CB. A car charger will boil & wreck a small bike battery.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....tbh 12.4v at idle is too low. It should hover at/above that with bike off, otherwise battery is fubar'd.

13.8v - 14.4v (low/higher) revs would be ideal no's to see.

Oh, and, you mentioned you loaned your charge to your brother for a car - is it a car charger then ? If so, that'll fubar your bike battery in no time. Car chargers are too powerful for bike batteries. Charge at no more than 10% of the battery's capacity - so ideally your looking for a 1000mA - 1800mA charger for a bike like the CB. A car charger will boil & wreck a small bike battery.

Just home and havent had time to look at the bike yet. Prob wont get a chance until friday morning. Yeah ill have to check the voltage again at different revs,

Its a bike charger alright so thats fine. Not sure if bro even used it for the car.

Thanks for the info lads. Ill do more checks and report back asap.

• Advertisement

ok lads I got some readings which leads me to believe the RR is fine.

Gear in Neutral for all readings.

Idle = 12.3 v

2000 rpm = 14.1 v

3000 rpm = 13.8 v

4000 rpm = 13.7 v

5000 rpm = 13.6 v

Is it normal for the volts to drop with rpm increase?

Today was the first time I started the bike in 5 days and she started first attempt. If you agree that the RR seem ok with those readings I think ill put the problem down to kids hanging out of the accelerator that caused the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

seems ok to me, ive actually got to put the mm onto my own cb500 tomorrow as i was trying to revive a dead battery which has worked so far, from what i gather the 2 bikes share the same rr so the readings will in theory be similar.

will post my results for comparison, should be similar, my rr works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

ok lads I got some readings which leads me to believe the RR is fine.

Gear in Neutral for all readings.

Idle = 12.3 v

2000 rpm = 14.1 v

3000 rpm = 13.8 v

4000 rpm = 13.7 v

5000 rpm = 13.6 v

Is it normal for the volts to drop with rpm increase?

Today was the first time I started the bike in 5 days and she started first attempt. If you agree that the RR seem ok with those readings I think ill put the problem down to kids hanging out of the accelerator that caused the problem.

the voltage should go up with higher RPM... but they looks very healthy anyway.

Just took the battery off charge and I get a reading of 13.2 v. Ill leave the battery out of the bike overnight and take a reading tomorrow.

11.8 at my bike cold thismorning, about 12.2 at idle, 13-14v at higher rpm, after a few minutes i was getting 13ish at idle,

usually a dead RR wont charge the bike atall and voltage will drop, ive also seen them going the other way though and sending unregulated power into the battery, which led to a blown up battery, i could be wrong but i dont think they can fail in any other way.

• Advertisement

bitburger wrote: »
    11.8 at my bike cold thismorning, about 12.2 at idle, 13-14v at higher rpm, after a few minutes i was getting 13ish at idle,

usually a dead RR wont charge the bike atall and voltage will drop, ive also seen them going the other way though and sending unregulated power into the battery, which led to a blown up battery, i could be wrong but i dont think they can fail in any other way.

It looks like ill just use the bike until the problem re-appears, if it does at all. Good job I stuck with C&N for insurance with breakdown cover;)

make sure you have your policy number at the roadside, they wouldnt collect me recently without it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

make sure you have your policy number at the roadside, they wouldnt collect me recently without it!

Really? I had to use the breakdown service once before and was able to get sorted without the policy number. Admittedly I had to answer a ton of questions to make sure it was me, but I got sorted.

Just took the battery off charge and I get a reading of 13.2 v. Ill leave the battery out of the bike overnight and take a reading tomorrow.

So I just took a reading and got 12.9 v. Thats about 19 hours since I took it off charge.

Unfortunately im out the door soon and dont have time to investigate this. This seems like it could be the cause of my problem. Starter motor issue + fuse. The chap I bought the bike off did mention he replaced the starter motor.

Unfortunately this problem reared its ugly head again yesterday. The bike cut out about 3 times yesterday on my commute to and from work. I have noticed something that might give a better description of the problem.

I took the bike out the front garden and started it without any issues. I left it running for about 3 minutes and then knocked it off. An hour later i went to start the bike but there was barley a kick out of the starter switch. After about 2 minutes of trying she eventually started and i made off for work. Just as I got to a set of traffic lights at work & had the bike in first gear and the bike died. I got it onto the path and once again after about 2 minutes of trying she started again.

I had the same problem when I went to start the bike after work but got her going anyway. The bike died 2 more time on the way home. Both times are when the bike is stopped at lights. Even when im just about to come to a stop I notice that she sounds like she is going to die.

Any thoughts?

Wossack - Can you expand on that mosfet type R/R. Where to purchase & with what components?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sounds like the fuel is not getting into the engine all the time maybe the fuel pump Joe? As you already got a new R/R did you not.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sounds like the fuel is not getting into the engine all the time maybe the fuel pump Joe? As you already got a new R/R did you not.

I didnt get a new r/r in the end. I thought the problem sorted itself out:rolleyes:

I started the bike this morning and she started first time. I have the battery charging at the mo because i plan on commuting to work tomorrow on it.

I think this is gonna take a good strip down and check all electric & fuel connections:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Bad connections are most probable cause. I say that because it does start eventually.
    Check fuel supply also.

Joe, Is the starter turning over when you hit the button, or is it acase of turning over ok but not firing ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

not purchased a mosfet rr, so I'd need to research em a bit. Just know that some are used on yams, and are typically interchangable (same plug connection and all afaik) - no other components needed

• Advertisement

Bad connections are most probable cause. I say that because it does start eventually.
    Check fuel supply also.

Joe, Is the starter turning over when you hit the button, or is it acase of turning over ok but not firing ??

She turns over but sounds very weak. After about 1 min trying she will start.

Its gonna be a good old fashioned check for bad connections and like Wonda said it could also be a fuel problem. It will be Monday before I get a chance to have a look. Just from a quick look on the net it could be the started switch, a bad earth, dirty fuel etc.. the list goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Joe,
    If the starter is turning over good, its a fuel problem.

If the starter is weak, its an electrical problem. Starter relay, Starter brushes, connections, Battery, Reg/Rec.

You can do a quick check on charging, by seeing if the headlight gets brighter when you rev, if so rule that out.

Joe,
    If the starter is turning over good, its a fuel problem.

If the starter is weak, its an electrical problem. Starter relay, Starter brushes, connections, Battery, Reg/Rec.

You can do a quick check on charging, by seeing if the headlight gets brighter when you rev, if so rule that out.

Im off to work in 30 mins. Bike started fine there so ill take it today. The headlight did and has brightened when I rev. Old Yellar wont let me down. She just likes to embarrass me a traffic lights.

Ps. Mick, I sent the old LP off last wed.

Ok I noticed on the way to work a spitting sound from the engine. Reminds me of the sound in my car when the injectors were leaking. The bike didnt cut out at all today so far.

had an issue with my bike acting like its battery was ****ed this week, even though it had 12.5v, turned out simply to be corrosion on the terminals not making a good connection. I even had 12.5v when i put the multimeter on the frame and solenoid to rule out a bad battery connection!

had an issue with my bike acting like its battery was ****ed this week, even though it had 12.5v, turned out simply to be corrosion on the terminals not making a good connection. I even had 12.5v when i put the multimeter on the frame and solenoid to rule out a bad battery connection!

I started going through electrical connections today. The connections coming from the spark plugs had some corrosion alright so I cleaned them up. Next step will be to check fuel delivery system. The spark plugs were quite oily when I removed them.

Ok Electrical connections look ok for now. I must open the starter switch and double check for corrosion there. I picked up some Holts carb cleaner and a bottle of RedX also.

Im going to attach 2 pic's. One is the spark plug. Should it be this oily? It wiped off easy and was not hardened.

And the second pic is 2 rubber hoses coming from the carbs. Is this where I apply the carb cleaner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Spark plugs should not be covered in oil like that joe, could be valve or ring issues. As for the hoses I cant see from that pic whats going on.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Spark plugs should not be covered in oil like that joe, could be valve or ring issues. As for the hoses I cant see from that pic whats going on.

I found out where the holts spray goes anyway ( remove the air filter and spray it in there )

Im studying up on carb removal and cleaning if thats needed. Cheers Gar

Advertisement