Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cb400 problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I found out where the holts spray goes anyway ( remove the air filter and spray it in there )

Im studying up on carb removal and cleaning if thats needed. Cheers Gar

Joe,

Just spray the carb cleaner on the walls of the carbs to remove any carbon build up (looks like black mould) spray the butterflies too. Dont go mental with the spray put it on a cloth first and a bit of elbow grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Your pic doesn't show the electrode clearly, the threads are oily but thats not the part that sparks.
    Can you post a close up of the plug tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Your pic doesn't show the electrode clearly, the threads are oily but thats not the part that sparks.
    Can you post a close up of the plug tips?

I wiped the plugs clean already. Ill post a higher quality image. For what its worth the electrodes on all plugs were dry and no sign of oil. From reading up I could be looking at some rubber seals needing replacing

I wiped the plugs clean already. Ill post a higher quality image. For what its worth the electrodes on all plugs were dry and no sign of oil. From reading up I could be looking at some rubber seals needing replacing
    Looks like a leaky rocker cover gasket, that can cause the threads to get oiled as they are removed.
    Is there oil around the plugs looking down into the plug well?

No. I inspected each one when removing and it looks clean. Apologies if I am slow to reply ( window reg went in car today and im trying to get that sorted before tomorrow )

• Advertisement

Ok lads im 99% sure its a faulty Reg/Rec which is causing my problem. At 6000 rpm im not always getting above 13.3v which would explain why my bike would die after an hour riding.

My next problem is sourcing a new reg/rec to replace it. My current one is a SH633-12 ( ill post a pic also )
    There are so many types out there im not sure which one to order. I obviously want one of the newer mosfet ones but its confusing. I need one for my 1994 cb400 super four. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

my cb5 uses the same reg is thats any help. a buddy got a cheapo one off ebay and it didnt last very long.

bitburger wrote: »
    my cb5 uses the same reg is thats any help. a buddy got a cheapo one off ebay and it didnt last very long.

The SH is the older type. I hoping for the newer FH version that will fit my bike. I wont be buying second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

I got one for my old 94 CB400 from electrexworld.co.uk. Think it was about e90.

They do have a very good troubleshooting flowchart on the site.

I ended up changing the generator stator after changing the reg/rec and battery. Battery was always going flat. E

mgadget wrote: »
    I got one for my old 94 CB400 from electrexworld.co.uk. Think it was about e90.

They do have a very good troubleshooting flowchart on the site.

I ended up changing the generator stator after changing the reg/rec and battery. Battery was always going flat. E

Lovely job. Ill bang off an email later to them and hopefully have old yellar back up and running by next wednesday.

• Advertisement

Any Shindengen Mosfet bar the one on the CBR1000RR will work on your CB.
    Try for a late model R1, the plugs that you need to fit it to your loom are available from easternbeaver.com.
    They aren't expensive 20 dollars for a set.
    I bought a late model R1 Reg/Rec from ebay for 30 stg and will be fitting an uprated stator later to up my power output from a barely adequate 180w to 300+w, this necessitates the fitment of a reg/rec that can handle the increased output.

Any Shindengen Mosfet bar the one on the CBR1000RR will work on your CB.
    Try for a late model R1, the plugs that you need to fit it to your loom are available from easternbeaver.com.
    They aren't expensive 20 dollars for a set.
    I bought a late model R1 Reg/Rec from ebay for 30 stg and will be fitting an uprated stator later to up my power output from a barely adequate 180w to 300+w, this necessitates the fitment of a reg/rec that can handle the increased output.

Jasus CJ, most of that went over me head. How much is the new stator setting you back?

These R1 reg/rec are like gold dust:mad:

Do us a favor lads and keep your eyes peeled for R1 been broken for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

These R1 reg/rec are like gold dust:mad:

Do us a favor lads and keep your eyes peeled for R1 been broken for parts.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-YZF-R1-R1-Regulator-Rectifier-Direct-Upgrade-Premium-Replacement-/231049239654?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cb9b9c66

MonstaMash wrote: »

Fair play Monsta. Think ill buy it to save me searching for the weekend.:)

Can I just ask if its a Mosfet type?

Thanks CJ, Just waiting on him to get back to me on shipping costs.

Ok I nearly have the RR sorted. Im just browsing through the RR wiring kits on http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html at the moment. Its double dutch to me. Anyone in the know care to point out which wiring kit Ill need to match the RR CJhaughey linked to?

Ill post a link of mu current wiring that goes to my old RR.
    It has 3 yellow, 1 green, 1 red&white wire & a earth wire.

Ok I nearly have the RR sorted. Im just browsing through the RR wiring kits on http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html at the moment. Its double dutch to me. Anyone in the know care to point out which wiring kit Ill need to match the RR CJhaughey linked to?

Ill post a link of mu current wiring that goes to my old RR.
    It has 3 yellow, 1 green, 1 red&white wire & a earth wire.
    The RR kit that you need is the Furukawa QLW .250 thats the right one for most Mosfet shindengen RR.
    I would buy the kit from him, measure up your wiring and get him to make the whole thing, that way you need to do the minimum crimping, all you will need to do is crimp the three yellow wires into the connector, bolt the wires onto the battery plug in and go. Apart from mounting the RR you may need to cut the fins a little to fit.

The RR kit that you need is the Furukawa QLW .250 thats the right one for most Mosfet shindengen RR.
    I would buy the kit from him, measure up your wiring and get him to make the whole thing, that way you need to do the minimum crimping, all you will need to do is crimp the three yellow wires into the connector, bolt the wires onto the battery plug in and go. Apart from mounting the RR you may need to cut the fins a little to fit.

Is it just this 3P250WP-QLW Female Connector SET $18.62 set I need or do I also need
    3P250WP-QLW Female Connector Black $9.95
    &
    3P250WP-QLW Female Connector Grey $10.79

???

• Advertisement

Is it just this 3P250WP-QLW Female Connector SET $18.62 set I need or do I also need
    3P250WP-QLW Female Connector Black $9.95
    &
    3P250WP-QLW Female Connector $10.79

???
    I would buy part A and part B, don't bother buying the plugs and then having to try and crimp them.
    Keep it simple. get him to do the important stuff and just plug and play.

Ok thanks all for the info. RR & wiring+connections are ordered. Could be 2 weeks waiting on delivery but at least I can get the beast back on the road & hopefully put in some good practice before I do my test.

The RR arrived today. Bigger than I thought. Ill have to reposition the fuse box & possible the starter. Like you mentioned CJ ill also have to shave the fins down on the RR.

The RR arrived today. Bigger than I thought. Ill have to reposition the fuse box & possible the starter. Like you mentioned CJ ill also have to shave the fins down on the RR.
    I have the same one, its no problem shaving the fins down, use a hacksaw and then smooth them off by drawfiling.
    You won't have any problems with blowing reg recs with that unit anyway.
    I'd be thinking about mounting it on an aluminium plate which can be bolted in the original location.

I have the same one, its no problem shaving the fins down, use a hacksaw and then smooth them off by drawfiling.
    You won't have any problems with blowing reg recs with that unit anyway.
    I'd be thinking about mounting it on an aluminium plate which can be bolted in the original location.

I dont have time to do anything today but it will take a bit of cutting and moving to fit it. And thats without an aluminium plate.

No sign of the wiring been shipped yet. His info section says he will email me when its shipped. He seems grumpy about inquiries about shipping so ill give him until wed before I email him.

P.s What bike did you fit your RR to CJ?

I dont have time to do anything today but it will take a bit of cutting and moving to fit it. And thats without an aluminium plate.

No sign of the wiring been shipped yet. His info section says he will email me when its shipped. He seems grumpy about inquiries about shipping so ill give him until wed before I email him.

P.s What bike did you fit your RR to CJ?
    Honda NX650J

If I take the fuse box & starter relay out of their stock position I can just about make the new RR fit. Its either that or fit the new RR in the tail somewhere. I plan to tackle it at the weekend. If anyone hears a loud bang followed by a mushroom cloud its just me:o

If I take the fuse box & starter relay out of their stock position I can just about make the new RR fit. Its either that or fit the new RR in the tail somewhere. I plan to tackle it at the weekend. If anyone hears a loud bang followed by a mushroom cloud its just me:o
    You'll be fine, those RR run a lot cooler than the old type anyway.
    How much were the leads from Easternbeaver delivered?

You'll be fine, those RR run a lot cooler than the old type anyway.
    How much were the leads from Easternbeaver delivered?

They were 38 euro delivered. I guess you could knock them up yourself for no more than 15 quid but this is good quality wiring.

• Advertisement

They were 38 euro delivered. I guess you could knock them up yourself for no more than 15 quid but this is good quality wiring.
    Yes, and that's important for this application.

Advertisement