Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cb400 problem

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just want to make sure im good to go tomorrow with the install. The 3 yellow wires go to the RR. I have a black & red wire going from the RR to the Pos & Neg terminals on the battery. Ok so far so good. Im left with a red/white wire, a green wire & a green earth wire fom the stock RR connection. Do I just tape these up as they are not needed anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most bikes these days use permanent magnet alternators, the alternator output increases with revs, and the R/R just dumps the excess power as the revs increase. Older ones used electromagnets in the rotor a.k.a. 'field windings' and the R/R could vary the current in the field windings to control the alternator output.

IF your bike has field windings and this R/R isn't designed to cater for them, you're screwed I'm afraid :(

Are you absolutely sure this R/R is suitable for the model and year (and sometimes changes are made during a model year so you'd need to check the VIN as well.)

A bike with permanent magnet alternator and no field windings will just have 3 yellow wires from the alternator. If it has field windings then it'll have a couple of additional wires. Where do the extra wires go?

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Most bikes these days use permanent magnet alternators, the alternator output increases with revs, and the R/R just dumps the excess power as the revs increase. Older ones used electromagnets in the rotor a.k.a. 'field windings' and the R/R could vary the current in the field windings to control the alternator output.

IF your bike has field windings and this R/R isn't designed to cater for them, you're screwed I'm afraid :(

Are you absolutely sure this R/R is suitable for the model and year (and sometimes changes are made during a model year so you'd need to check the VIN as well.)

A bike with permanent magnet alternator and no field windings will just have 3 yellow wires from the alternator. If it has field windings then it'll have a couple of additional wires. Where do the extra wires go?

Ah bollox **** tits arse. Im not home till tomorrow so ill double check then. Thanks ninja
    All the wires went into the stock rr. 3 yellow. 1 red & 1 green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Out of the new R/R are two plugs, 1 with 3 yellow wires and 1 Black with 1 red and 1 black wire The 3 yellow wires connect to the alternator.
    The black and red out of the other plug go to the Battery, there should be a fuse in between the red and the + terminal.
    The lead with the double greens and a ring terminal goes to earth.
    Your old connector is redundant now.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Out of the new R/R are two plugs, 1 with 3 yellow wires and 1 Black with 1 red and 1 black wire The 3 yellow wires connect to the alternator.
    The black and red out of the other plug go to the Battery, there should be a fuse in between the red and the + terminal.
    The lead with the double greens and a ring terminal goes to earth.
    Your old connector is redundant now.

Ok ill fit the double green wire with ring terminal back to its normal position and tape off the other 2 wires.

• Advertisement

Just connected up the mosfet RR. Readings are looking good ( I think ).

Idle im getting 13.5v

2000rpm =14.6v
    3000= 14.16v
    4000= 14.18v
    5000&6000rpm = 14.20v

It didnt go over 14.20v at all no matter what the rpm.

The main thing is its charging at 6000rpm which the old rr didnt.
    After 10 mins of reving the bike the new mosfet rr was still cold to touch. The old one would have been fairly hot.
    Ill get to the job of fitting the new rr tomorrow

So those reading look good to you lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those readings look very good, the voltage is going up to the required level at a nice low rpm (important for town riding) and isn't going above that when revved higher.

If you had an older type alternator with field windings, and there was no current going through them, then you'd get little or nothing out of the alternator.

I dunno if this bike has permanent lights on. If not, did you see a difference in voltage between lights on and lights off? You might get a bit less voltage with the lights on but it shouldn't really drop below 14V

Still though, it would be interesting to know where the 'mystery' wires went - I know they went to the old R/R at one end :) I meant where do the other ends go! It looks like you're in the clear, but it'd be interesting to know.

Scrap the cap!

Those readings look very good, the voltage is going up to the required level at a nice low rpm (important for town riding) and isn't going above that when revved higher.

If you had an older type alternator with field windings, and there was no current going through them, then you'd get little or nothing out of the alternator.

I dunno if this bike has permanent lights on. If not, did you see a difference in voltage between lights on and lights off? You might get a bit less voltage with the lights on but it shouldn't really drop below 14V

Still though, it would be interesting to know where the 'mystery' wires went - I know they went to the old R/R at one end :) I meant where do the other ends go! It looks like you're in the clear, but it'd be interesting to know.

The lights are always on. I forgot to mention that the headlight doesnt flicker or brighten when I rev now with the new rr:)
    Yeah the problem was the old rr was working up to say 5500 rpm but over that it didnt charge the bat. So when I arrived into work after doing mostly 6000 rpm that bat was dying.

LOL:pac: The ''mystery wires'' I havent a clue. one is red/white & the other is green. At this stage if the bike is working and I can start using it again the wires can be going to another dimension for all I care:)

P.s, Im 99% sure someone is going to tell me that the ''mystery wires'' are highly important and my bike is at risk of blowing up if not reconnected:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They aren't mystery wires, the Red/Wh and Green in the bottom of the stock plug are the outputs to Battery from the old Alternator, via the Fuse/starter relay
    Yellow in to the Reg/Rec and Red/Green out.

By fitting new wiring you will also avoid a problem with older electrics which is high resistance in the connections.
    Modern plugs are much better sealed and resistant to water ingress.
    Plus the new Mosfet Reg/recs are much better then the SH type.

Advertisement