Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds stuck in vent???

• 08-06-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help.
    I've been hearing a chirping /squeaking noise from behind my bathroom vent intermittently the last few days. Not uausally at night time. Sounds crazy but it stops if I tap on the vent. Very difficult to see through the vent but I'm almost positive I can see movement.
    Could I have a nest in here? I can't see the opening on the exterior wall so see if opening there for a bird to get in.
    I'm a bit if a chicken and afraid to take the vent cover off :) should I just leave well alone and they will leave when ready ( noise is annoying but doesn't impact on my sleep) or is there an animal welfare charity/ company I could contact.

I probably sound silly because I won't take the front of vent- I just really don't like birds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I wouldnt take the vent cover off from the inside in case its not birds but a wasps nest or even mice or bats.

Why cant you see the opening on the exterior wall? Is it blocked or too high or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wouldnt take the vent cover off from the inside in case its not birds but a wasps nest or even mice or bats.

Why cant you see the opening on the exterior wall? Is it blocked or too high or something?

Lesser spotted chirping wasps?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

Thanks for reply, yeah it's up high and a gutter is partially blocking it.
    Thanks for the bat idea stuck in my head now :)

endacl wrote: »
    Lesser spotted chirping wasps?!?

lol - youd be surprised the noises the little feicers make when there are a lot of them, busily regurgitating bits of god knows what for nest building!

Im thinking more bats though, it would be a more likely hidey hole and explain why they are quiet at night.

Thanks for reply, yeah it's up high and a gutter is partially blocking it.
    Thanks for the bat idea stuck in my head now :)

What you could do is get something solid that is roughly the same shape as the vent (I presume its circular?) and take off the interior vent cover and push the solid object through slowly - so that it pushes out whatever is in there. You could have someone on the outside keeping an eye for an escaping bat. It sounds like the vent cover on the exterior is either missing, broken or has an opening just big enough to let something in - in which case, if its threatened from the inside whatever it is will be able to get out.

After its cleared youd need to check out the exterior vent cover to prevent whatever it is coming back in.

• Advertisement

Bats -!!!! Seriously .... How do I get rid of them???

Sorry posted before I seen ur reply. Thanks for the advice- think its time to make the call to the father haha

Irish bats are all protected species so just try to encourage them to leave then sort out the exterior - thats if its bats of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Bats -!!!! Seriously .... How do I get rid of them???

Info what to do (If it is bats)
    You’ve discovered you have
    bats in your home, what do
    you do?

Firstly don’t worry.
    These mammals pose no
    threat to you or your home. In fact, bats and
    people have been sharing buildings for
    centuries.
    • Bats do not spread disease
    • Bats do not chew cables or wood
    • Bats are not blind
    • Bats do not get caught in your hair
    • Bats do not bring nesting material into
    houses
    • Bats are more closely related to humans than
    to mice

Contacts
    Bat Helpline 1800 405 000

^^ Thats a great leaflet. I see theres a phone number to ring too. Very useful!

• Advertisement

Thank you all for some great help, now just need to figure out if bats or birds, so u think it would be safe just to lift open the vent just a little to peak inside

Thank you all for some great help, now just need to figure out if bats or birds, so u think it would be safe just to lift open the vent just a little to peak inside

If you start fiddling with the vent whatever it is is going to move away from you - they already quieten down if you tap it - so you might not see anything. Youd be better off having someone inside fiddling with the vent and someone outside watching the exit to see what comes out I reckon.

Of course I dont know how long or curved your vent is - if its short then you run the risk of freeing whatever is in there into the house. Personally Id try to find out from the outside.

Mystery solved. My dad came out today and took off the vent ( while I hid on the other side of the door ) there was a nest there with baby birds and an adult goldfinch. So the plan is just to leave well alone until the babies grow up and leave, then can replace the vent with the hole in it.
    Thank god it wasn't bats !!! :)
    Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Yeeaa - good outcome!

Advertisement