Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant applications - Apply to SUSI Early - Closing date - August 1st

• 08-06-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭

Online application system for the 2013/2014 academic year is open
    The online application system for the 2013/2014 academic year is now available. If you are a new SUSI applicant apply now. The earlier you submit your application the earlier you will receive a decision.

The final closing date for submitting new applications for the 2013/2014 academic year is 1st August 2013.

If you are an existing SUSI student planning to continue in college the closing date for submitting your renewal application is the 14th June 2013

http://www.susi.ie/Info/News/Online-application-system-for-the-2013-2014-academ.aspx

It's important to note that new applications for grants through SUSI close on August 1st which is BEFORE leaving cert results are out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

do both parent have to fill out details for section D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

do both parent have to fill out details for section D?

If you live with both parents yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

I applied online a few weeks ago for SUSI grant, is this a different thing I need to do?

Aksa94 wrote: »
    I applied online a few weeks ago for SUSI grant, is this a different thing I need to do?

No - I was talking about the SUSI grant

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ladie

Am I leaving it quite late applying now? I need to get financial info to fill it out and I won't be able to till this weekend. Does it take long for them to send out the list of stuff you need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

I'm still finishing off applying for my grant and just want to know does a parents inheritance majorly affect the grant? My dad was given a sum of money as inheritance, and as I am under 23 I assume they will be taken it into consideration.

Is it worth applying if they don't reward the full amount? Just don't think its fair if its not my inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jayo122

ladie wrote: »
    Am I leaving it quite late applying now? I need to get financial info to fill it out and I won't be able to till this weekend. Does it take long for them to send out the list of stuff you need?

After you fill in your details online, within a week they send out the list of stuff you need; birth certs,etc. Its pretty quick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm still finishing off applying for my grant and just want to know does a parents inheritance majorly affect the grant? My dad was given a sum of money as inheritance, and as I am under 23 I assume they will be taken it into consideration.

Is it worth applying if they don't reward the full amount? Just don't think its fair if its not my inheritance.

As far as I know from the older grant system there was a specific section for gifts and inheritances so it'd have to go down there if it was given during the financial year being tested (2012).

ladie wrote: »

Apply as soon as possible

Terry Pratchet

Just a note to remind everyone to read all the forms sent out carefully! They do give you a deadline to return supporting documents by but it's not on the cover letter and I nearly missed it and put the stuff away for the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Just a note to remind everyone to read all the forms sent out carefully! They do give you a deadline to return supporting documents by but it's not on the cover letter and I nearly missed it and put the stuff away for the summer!

wow I didn't see that. My deadline was June 19th. Now what?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone know when do they give you the grant? Cause accomondation fees and that have to be settle pretty quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

My dad has his own business and says the accounts for 2012 won't be ready until October, do I wait till then to submit the finance info or do I use 2011 accounts? HELP I am registered but haven't provided any of the finance info.

yournerd wrote: »
    Does anyone know when do they give you the grant? Cause accomondation fees and that have to be settle pretty quick!

last year some people got it in September. Some didn't get it until March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

peekachoo wrote: »
    last year some people got it in September. Some didn't get it until March.

I know a guy who still hasn't got his :p

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

what documents will they ask for so I can get them ready? Thanks :_)

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    what documents will they ask for so I can get them ready? Thanks :_)

It's all different depending on the person and their circumstances :)
    wow I didn't see that. My deadline was June 19th. Now what?? :eek:

I'm not sure actually. I would ring them and check unless anyone here knows anyone who had this happen to them? Or perhaps Randy may know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm not sure actually. I would ring them and check unless anyone here knows anyone who had this happen to them? Or perhaps Randy may know?
    I don't actually, I'm not much good on grant stuff, probably best to ring them or email them at support@susi.cdvec.ie

But in the meantime, I would be gathering the documentation required and getting it off to them ASAP, on the principle that better late than never!

It's all good as far as I know, I emailed them and explained that I was still waiting on a letter from CIT as proof of my sister being in college and they said just include an extra letter explaining why it was late. Hope for the best I guess :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ermm anyone else who applied how long did it take before you received something in the post saying what documents they wanted etc?
    Ill be waiting 3 weeks on Wednesday now...

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Ermm anyone else who applied how long did it take before you received something in the post saying what documents they wanted etc?
    Ill be waiting 3 weeks on Wednesday now...

Hey!! I've been waiting two weeks now.. getting kinda worried!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My application is at stage 4

4. Final Assessment
    Application awaiting assessment.

How long does this usually take?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikek90

Hey! Has anybody else being having trouble with the susi grant this year? 13/14 applications. I thought from last year there may have been improvements made with the system but clearly not.
    I applied back in June when the application opened and had all my documents handed in early. A few weeks later I received a letter saying how my income was over the limit for the grant. The figure they sent me out was over double what the actual figure on my application which I had proof for. None the less I was told I had to appeal the decision. I was furious as it had been their mistake and I had the evident proof to back this up. As you only have a specific time frame to send off for appeal I gathered my documents and sent them off a few days later. Two days after the appeal had been sent one of the susi staff rang my mother to say there was no need for appeal as it was an error made on their part..fair enough! I was then informed as I had sent in the appeal it was being processed and I had to go with it and it would take up to 30 days..I got another letter today saying my application was being reassessed.. Has anyone else had trouble like this? it is driving me around the bend absolutely ridiculous system whatever is going on. Im worried I wont hear back for september before the start of college year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

yeah I am having trouble with susi aswel, I filled in the form,sent it 5 weeks ago, got the letter requesting documents last week. They are looking for my p60 and p21 for last year, when I havent worked in 3 years??? Frustrating to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikek90

Its nothing short of a joke.. utter disgrace of a system!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Yeah couldnt agree more with you, even worse when you ring up,get a totally different answer from each person you talk to!!

three weeks now and still on stage 1...someone isn't getting a grant till march...

Any idea how long stage 4 takes?

Any idea how long stage 4 takes?

No - it is impossible to say because there will be a diffferent time for each student

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

If people are having trouble with SUSI

Do one or all of the following;

1 Use the SUSI complaints process http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Complaints.aspx

2 Contact your local students union and/or USI

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement