Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cz 22 V 10/22 fact or fiction.

Options
  • 08-06-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying one or the other money is a concern I'm only getting another 22 because I just renewed the license a few weeks ago.

I looked at a few guns today. Only cz's and then came across the ruger. Now there is only 50 quid in the 2 guns the cz looked like it wasn't care for two well it also felt and looked like it had is fair share of rust. Primarily surface rust I think but the barrel inside was clean. It looked like it was ****ed into the back off a jeep for a while or something.

The ruger was clean a little bit of spotless but clean. It was the more expensive of the two. It was standard out but I'd have to leave it that wa for a good while anyway. I'd say the semi in the 10/22 is some crack but I'm a bit nervous about this accuracy talk. It would be modified for a while.

Is the accuracy really that much of a differance or is that down to serious target shooters. I'd only want to be bunny bashing and a few targets around the pit. Lids of bottles , clays etc.

what would be your opinions lads please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

With two rifles in good original condition, the CZ (presume you mean bolt-action) will be a good bit more accurate than a 10/22, with a better much better trigger. Anything out past 50 metres and it should be noticeable to most shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye sorry the cz is a bolt action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

With both rifles being factory standard - the CZ will win hands down each time. Bolt action is simply more accurate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cz's are the bargain of the century imho. Never seen one that was inaccurate and they have a proper adult sized stock, some of the rimfires I have seen must have been designed with kids/youths in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

OSOK,
    In general, bolt actions have the potential to be more precise. However, the CZ you mentioned has been neglected which is worrisome.

Sounds like your needs are like my own. I have no plans to enter competitions, I just like to get out, do a bit of plinking and bunny bashing on a budget. Thus, I would recommend the 10/22.

I have several of them and do not know why the 10/22 has such a bad reputation in Ireland. The ones I have shoot great at 50ya and 100ya once you get in the zone.

In time when you have some more dosh you can go to Kidd's site to upgrade your 10/22. It's great to be able to drop in a barrel in a few minutes.

Few more questions: are you going to use iron sights or buy a scope? Do either rifles have mounts?

• Advertisement

The ruger has iron sites if I got that I'd give them a go for a bit of fun. The cz is American style. There is plenty of cz's around but there mostly with the lux stock and that's what I have at the min and just can't get comfortable on.

As far as mounts and scope I have a few bits there that will work

FISMA wrote: »
    OSOK,
    In general, bolt actions have the potential to be more precise. However, the CZ you mentioned has been neglected which is worrisome.

Sounds like your needs are like my own. I have no plans to enter competitions, I just like to get out, do a bit of plinking and bunny bashing on a budget. Thus, I would recommend the 10/22.

I have several of them and do not know why the 10/22 has such a bad reputation in Ireland. The ones I have shoot great at 50ya and 100ya once you get in the zone.

In time when you have some more dosh you can go to Kidd's site to upgrade your 10/22. It's great to be able to drop in a barrel in a few minutes.

Few more questions: are you going to use iron sights or buy a scope? Do either rifles have mounts?

Do you have many mods on your 10/22's

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

I have always wondered what makes the .22 semies less accurat than the bolt actions as me and a friend argued that it was their wasent enough pressire when the cartage in in the chamber and when fired it is not 100% stable?
    Any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

Buy neither,
    Wait till a cleaner CZ comes along.

MarkWolff wrote: »
    Buy neither,
    Wait till a cleaner CZ comes along.

That sounds like a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I have always wondered what makes the .22 semies less accurat than the bolt actions as me and a friend argued that it was their wasent enough pressire when the cartage in in the chamber and when fired it is not 100% stable?
    Any ideas???

The chamber on a semi has to be more open for it to feed reliably, where on a bolt or single shot the chamber can be a lot tighter. I have a bsa target rifle and the rounds are a very tight fit in the chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If you switch to a target barrel on a 10/22 they have the tight "benz" or "bentz" chamber the exact name escapes me, But they are as tight a chamber as you will get in a 22 id say!

From looking and listening what sort of money is it going to cost to change the trigger an the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

From looking and listening what sort of money is it going to cost to change the trigger an the barrel.

If your serious about your 10/22's then look only to this website

https://www.coolguyguns.com/

inverted%20logo50YBA.jpg

The best upgrades for your 10/22 you can get IMO.
    HarbourGuns.ie & GunShop.ie are the agents here in Ireland.

The Kidd barrels have a custom chamber in a bored and rifled Lothar Walther barrel that is the best there is.

About €325 for the single stage trigger and €250 for a bull barrel

BUT as I say 'only if your serious' about your 10/22's ;););)

Cheers Clive. But been straight up I don't know if I'd be that serious about them. Don't get me wrong I love the tought of a semi auto. But I'm beginning to think the cz would be far better value even if I had to go new.

What do you think you have had plenty of cz. I like the style but I'd say I have to go new to get one of them.

I have looked at the Kidd site there is some serious gear on there for them alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Do you have many mods on your 10/22's

I have kept mine mostly stock, just adding some rings and a scope.

I was thinking about saving a few dollars and getting a Kidd. I would, however, like to hold one in my hands before I throw down that kind of dosh.

By the time I have a Kidd barrel and Timney trigger, the complete Kidd would not be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cheers Clive. But been straight up I don't know if I'd be that serious about them. Don't get me wrong I love the tought of a semi auto. But I'm beginning to think the cz would be far better value even if I had to go new.

What do you think you have had plenty of cz. I like the style but I'd say I have to go new to get one of them.

I was giving you the options when you started looking at the 10/22 upgrades.

I started with a CZ 452 Style (New) and put the trigger spring kit in it. It would shoot 1/2" (MOA) groups at 50m all day long. Then traded to the varmint (secondhand) and again it would shoot those 1/2" groups @50m. I ended up customised it with a stock, timney trigger, firing pin spring, picatinny rail. It still only shot the 1/2" groups, maybe a little tighter, but it looked cool, and was so easy to shoot.

Last time I was in Stakelums in Thurles they had some secondhand in stock. And O'Hallarans in Drangan Co. Tipp. had a very nice CZ 453 varmint secondhand. The 453 has the single set trigger like on their CF rifles. I had it bought but changed my mind after. Great bit of kit to buy.

Cheers Clive I looked in hallarand he didn't show me that one I might give Stakelums a ring today doe and see what he has.

Thanks. I think ill stay with the cz because there better out of the box. With no pimping.

Bought a nice cz varmint yesterday. Good package deal so I said feck it stick towhat I know and like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement