Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy in Ireland

Options
  • 08-06-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I am originally from Galway but studying Occupational Therapy in the UK. I'm heading into my final year in September so just scoping out my options really for after I (hopefully!) graduate.

What is the job market like for newly graduated OTs in Ireland at the moment? Is it a general emigrate-as-quick-as-possible situation or is anyone at all securing posts? What about when you have a few years experience under your belt?

For the OT grads who are emigrating, where are the favoured destinations/career paths?

Thanks very much,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

Hi Kevin,

I graduated from OT in Trinity two years ago now, and I'm afraid to say there are very slim pickings out there, especially for new grads. I myself have only managed to secure paid work in the last 3 months, and I am still on a locum contract which doesn't offer much job security. There are still a few from my class who have not had any OT work yet. You also would be at a disadvantage as there was an OT panel (the HSE's method of recruitment) just 3 months ago and it was the first for four years so doubtful there would be another soon. But all that said, you could just be lucky, or maybe things will have improved a year from now!

In terms of most popular destinations for securing work there is a lot from my class working in the UK (mostly England, but a few in Scotland and Wales), there are a few in Singapore, a few in Australia and one in Dubai.

Don't know if the above is at all helpful, but if you're like me anyway it's a job you love so it's worth persevering :)

Advertisement