Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep Of Ireland V Spain (12/6/2013 - 1am)

• 09-06-2013 2:30am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Match at Yankee Stadium.

Broadcast on Al Jazeera
    And On Setanta Sports 1 (Freeview) ie open to Sky box users Free or any using a Sky card in a Fta box

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

working over here in spain, should be good craic, not looking forward to school wednesday morning if we get minced again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Given the withdrawals, this *could* end up worse than the Euros.

Those left -

David Forde, Darren Randolph, Aaron McCarey, Sean St Ledger, Seamus Coleman, Damien Delaney, Darren O'Dea, Paul McShane, Stephen Kelly, Richard Keogh, James McClean, David Meyler, James McCarthy, Andy Keogh, Jeff Hendrick, Stephen Quinn, Simon Cox, Conor Sammon, Robbie Keane.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Xavi6 wrote: »

Those left -

David Forde, Darren Randolph, Aaron McCarey, Sean St Ledger, Seamus Coleman, Damien Delaney, Darren O'Dea, Paul McShane, Stephen Kelly, Richard Keogh, James McClean, David Meyler, James McCarthy, Andy Keogh, Jeff Hendrick, Stephen Quinn, Simon Cox, Conor Sammon, Robbie Keane.

Think of it this way, at least those players will actually want to be there, unlike some of the ones who were playing on Friday!!:eek::rolleyes: ((John O'Shea being a named example:rolleyes:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Wilberto wrote: »
    Think of it this way, at least those players will actually want to be there, unlike some of the ones who were playing on Friday!!:eek::rolleyes: ((John O'Shea being a named example:rolleyes:))

are u slaggin off o shea for not bein there for tues game???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I can see it now though, Paul McShane and Darren O'Dea at centre half, Keane and Sammon up front, with Cox stuck out on the wing! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I think I'm washing my hair that day though....Damn it anyway!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

o sheas out aswell Death in the Family .

Spain have a full Squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Nuigforce wrote: »
    working over here in spain, should be good craic, not looking forward to school wednesday morning if we get minced again

if we get minced haha....ireland will be hammered my friend, that's 1 game i won't be waiting up to watch..

Nowso wrote: »
    o sheas out aswell Death in the Family .

I know! I meant he was just one of the players who just didn't want to be there on Friday against the Faroes!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ok, from the remaining players, think i'd go for:

Forde
    Coleman---St Ledger--O'Dea---Kelly
    ----Hendrick--McCarthy--Meyler
    Cox
    McClean
    Keane

So going for one inside winger/forward who tucks in, and one outside winger.

Part of the above selection is due to my ignorance of some of the remaining squad, and a definite need to have plenty of bodies in midfield against Spain.

Keane would likely be a bit isolated, but I can't bring myself to put in Sammon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ok, from the remaining players, think i'd go for:

Forde
    Coleman---St Ledger--O'Dea---Kelly
    ----Hendrick--McCarthy--Meyler
    Cox
    McClean
    Keane

So going for one inside winger/forward who tucks in, and one outside winger.

Part of the above selection is due to my ignorance of some of the remaining squad, and a definite need to have plenty of bodies in midfield against Spain.

Keane would likely be a bit isolated, but I can't bring myself to put in Sammon.

Sammon's appearances in the past couple of games have been good, not sure what hes done wrong for us to justify the scapegoating. I'd have him ahead of McClean any day and drop Robbie a bit deeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spain beat the mighty haiti 2-1 last night, hopefully they will take it easy on us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

A shame Hoolahan is injured. A half decent performance probably would have cemented his place for Sweden.

The Irish (especially the younger ones) will be up for it. Hopefully the Spanish are not so much. A respectable 2-nil loss I'd say, with a decent overall performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Is McCarthy injured, or is he available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

O Shea had a relative that passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Show a bit of respect Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Looking forward to this but then, mainly because it is on the television and sometimes it can be a battle to find non-tournament Spanish games being broadcast on tv. I expect a dominant Spanish performance, a win by a few goals and the next day everyone in Ireland talking about how we need to play more like Spain, only to forget about all of that a few months later against Sweden as we catapult the ball forward with alarming disregard for the strain being placed on the necks of fans and players alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Just another international friendly and nothing to get too excited over. I'm sure we won't be trying anything new. Nice to play the better teams but its really about September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Sammon's appearances in the past couple of games have been good, not sure what hes done wrong for us to justify the scapegoating. I'd have him ahead of McClean any day and drop Robbie a bit deeper.

Yeah the Sammon of college has been alright for Ireland. He's such a big awkward presence that defenders don't always know what to do with him. Spain will, but he's definitely not been anywhere as bad as posters feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/soccer.jsp

"Champions Collide". Would that be the Carling Nations Cup we're champions of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jaysus another Ireland match, just give the lads a break at this stage.

• Advertisement

Show a bit of respect Jesus Christ!

I didn't even realise he had a death in the family.

Obviously he was a bad example to use, but my original comment still stands in the sense that there were other players out there on Friday who just didn't want to be there.

Maybe Marc Wilson is a better example, or Simon Cox (although he's just plain useless anyway so it's tough to tell the difference between his lack of effort and lack of ability!).

So obviously, if I knew that he had a death in the family I wouldn't have used him as an example!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The timing of this could be worse. I'm going to Spain on holidays on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

...Maybe Marc Wilson is a better example, or Simon Cox (although he's just plain useless anyway so it's tough to tell the difference between his lack of effort and lack of ability!)...
    sugarman wrote: »
    You mean the lad thats been plagued with injury all season and came in for all these games despite it? He wasnt 100%, sure he went off injured and isnt in this squad because hes in for surgery getting a metal plate removed from his leg!:rolleyes:

Yes Wilson is missing the Spain match as he's having surgery to have a plate removed. He needs to have the surgery now so he can recover in time for the new season, and that should take priority over a friendly in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Xavi6 wrote: »

Those left -

Why didnt he call up Birmingham City's Colin Doyle who already has senior Ireland caps and saved penalties from Chelsea and others in the FA cup last season.Oh ya he's a sub keeper.:confused:

This game would also have been an oppurtunity to call up Stokes,Aaron Doran(Winger),Paul Heffernan(Striker),and Kevin Long(Defender) but no.

At least it would have given a bit of depth to the squad.

My team would have been:

Forde
    Colman Keogh K.Long Delaney
    Doran Meyler McCarthy McClean
    Stokes Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Valdes

Arbeloa Pique Ramos Alba

Benat Xavi

Pedro Iniesta Silva

Soldado

10 changes, still stupidly strong.

Valdes

Arbeloa Pique Ramos Alba

Benat Xavi

Pedro Iniesta Silva

Soldado

Ridiculously strong team, even more ridiculous when you consider the senior players missing from that lineup, Casillas, Alonso, Busquets, Villa, Mata, Fabregas ect. and those who are taking part in the under 21 tournament, Thiago Alcantara, Isco, Inigo Martinez ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

This actually on telly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

ShooterSF wrote: »

Carling Nations Cup, Iceland Triangular Tournament 1986, and numerous awards for having amicable traveling support.

This actually on telly?

Yes see the 1st post on the topic

• Advertisement

Match at Yankee Stadium.

Broadcast on Al Jazeera
    And On Setanta Sports 1 (Freeview) ie open to Sky box users Free or any using a Sky card in a Fta box

its comes up as phone Sky to operate it at the moment but I take it you can view it once they start broadcasting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ShooterSF wrote: »

Some money being asked for those 'legends' packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Match at Yankee Stadium.

Broadcast on Al Jazeera
    aindriu80 wrote: »
    its comes up as phone Sky to operate it at the moment but I take it you can view it once they start broadcasting it?

Is it Freeview (via ariel) or Freesat/free to air (via dish). Setanta does not appear on the EPG on the Freeview at home anyway. Not sure about my free to air.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is it Freeview (via ariel) or Freesat/free to air (via dish). Setanta does not appear on the EPG on the Freeview at home anyway. Not sure about my free to air.

I was checking on the Sky dish. I only pay for the basic package - €29/month with no sports.

I thought Setanta would go live at the free to air shows, in this case the Spain Ireland game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

irish-stew wrote: »

It means Freeview on Sky, you need to have a valid Sky Subscription and you can watch it for free, with no Sports or Setanta subscription needed.

Valdes

Arbeloa Pique Ramos Alba

Benat Xavi

Pedro Iniesta Silva

Soldado

Spains depth is ridiculous, they could field 3 unique teams and would still be qualifying comfortably, thats before you go to their u21s, and their u20s have a pretty good squad too by the looks. Mad stuff, they are set up well for the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

klose wrote: »
    Spains depth is ridiculous, they could field 3 unique teams and would still be qualifying comfortably, thats before you go to their u21s, and their u20s have a pretty good squad too by the looks. Mad stuff, they are set up well for the future

I'm sure I missed several players but it's crazy how many great players they have. Gets a bit ropey in defence in the third team though is all.

Valdes

Arbeloa Pique Ramos Alba

Benat Xavi

Pedro Iniesta Silva

Soldado

Casillas

Azpilicueta Albiol Puyol Monreal

Busquets Fabregas

Navas Mata Cazorla

Villa

De Gea

Juanfran Bartra Marchena jose Enrique

Martinez Alonso

Susaeta Isco Muniain

Negredo

I'm sure I missed several players but it's crazy how many great players they have. Gets a bit ropey in defence in the third team though is all.

Valdes

Arbeloa Pique Ramos Alba

Benat Xavi

Pedro Iniesta Silva

Soldado

Casillas

Azpilicueta Albiol Puyol Monreal

Busquets Fabregas

Navas Mata Cazorla

Villa

De Gea

Juanfran Bartra Marchena jose Enrique

Martinez Alonso

Susaeta Isco Muniain

Negredo

The crazy thing is you have named 3 excellent teams and yet you forgot to add Thiago Alcantara, one of the finest young midfielders in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The crazy thing is you have named 3 excellent teams and yet you forgot to add Thiago Alcantara, one of the finest young midfielders in the world.

They could probably field 4 strong teams except for the defence. 3 players omitted off the top of my head are Reina, Torres and Llorente that didn't even get in the 3 teams above :P disgusting squad depth

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It means Freeview on Sky, you need to have a valid Sky Subscription and you can watch it for free, with no Sports or Setanta subscription needed.

yes a sky box with a sky card - no subcription needed.

it will be uncrambled and clear for the match and then go back scrambled it does this for some shows for different reasons

a sky card in a fta box like a ferguson arriva would work for this also

Ireland starting XI v Spain: Forde, McShane, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Kelly, Hendrick, McCarthy, Coleman, Keogh, Keane, Sammon

Keogh. It never ceases to beggar belief.

• Advertisement

Motherofgod.jpg

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Ireland starting XI v Spain: Forde, McShane, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Kelly, Hendrick, McCarthy, Coleman, Keogh, Keane, Sammon

Keogh. It never ceases to beggar belief.

Well when the alternative is James McClean it's very understandable.

Well when the alternative is James McClean it's very understandable.

Is it??

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Is it??

Is for me anyway. Don't think McClean will be even playing at Keoghs level (championship) by 27 so wouldn't have him near our starting 11. I've been consistent with my opinion on him from the start when the majority thought he was the second coming. His introduction (the standing ovation and deafening roar) in that friendly against Czechs last year has to go down as the cringiest moment in Irish sporting history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Keane on the prospect of facing Spain:

'You could play Spain in a phone box and not get the ball off them'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is for me anyway. Don't think McClean will be even playing at Keoghs level (championship) by 27 so wouldn't have him near our starting 11. I've been consistent with my opinion on him from the start when the majority thought he was the second coming. His introduction (the standing ovation and deafening roar) in that friendly against Czechs last year has to go down as the cringiest moment in Irish sporting history.

So how come he made 36 appearances in the EPL this season?? Obviously, you know better than epl managers

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I think Andy Keogh is delaying his own honeymoon or something like that to be there. Prob the reason for the start.

So how come he made 36 appearances in the EPL this season?? Obviously, you know better than epl managers

A good dozen of those were from the bench this season especially post O' Neill, a season where he was on the whole very poor. Be shocked if he's a starter next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Keogh, McShane & Sammon in the same team. Like a shitter episode of the 3 stooges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

A good dozen of those were from the bench this season especially post O' Neill, a season where he was on the whole very poor. Be shocked if he's a starter next season

He won't be playing in any team below championship, don't know why you think he will. He's a decent premier league and/or championship player, the fact that he featured in every game this year bar 2 for Sunderland is a testament to this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement