Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep Of Ireland V Spain (12/6/2013 - 1am)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Under the arm. Fuc king fractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

They really are superb. G'night, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Mata! Sublime football, vintage Spanish football, the link up between Mata and Cazorla so great, a classy finish from the Chelsea playmaker. 2-0, a victory for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

super goal

Glad we didn't score cause that would break your heart what happened there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Goal! Mata! Sublime football, vintage Spanish football, the link up between Mata and Cazorla so great, a classy finish from the Chelsea playmaker. 2-0, a victory for football.

Thank you, sky sports ticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good goal. Hope they don't get another as 3-0 would be extremely harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Spain Spain go away don't come back another day.

We seriously need to exact some revenge on these ballerinas soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Forde would have had that:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Please stop. We're watching the match, you don't have to pretend to be an ESPN Classics commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Blay wrote: »

That's a Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Corholio wrote: »
    Please stop. We're watching the match, you don't have to pretend to be an ESPN Classics commentator.

Let him live out his fantasy, it's the closest he'll ever get to the real thing.

Good goal. Hope they don't get another as 3-0 would be extremely harsh.

Not extremely harsh.

Our players have worked hard tonight but Spain are obviously on another footballing planet.

What time is the broadcast on setanta over. Will Kerrr get to say much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You're some fanboy :rolleyes:

A victory for football? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

He's like one of those annoying translators on the coach when your on your hols in Spain

That be a nice job for ye... While your there u can talk about your beloved tic tac and stop wasting your time here

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

@FAIreland: Official attendance in Yankee Stadium tonight: 39,368 #SPAIRL #LiveFAI

Pretty good attendance for a "soccer" game in a baseball field..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Neeson wrote: »
    What time is the broadcast on setanta over. Will Kerrr get to say much?

Just till 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

The Spanish lads are all fighting now about who'll get McShane's shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Blay wrote: »
    That's a Given.

The goal actually gave me a Bonner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Have the fans started the cringey chants yet, now that the game is definitely over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Highlight of the night for me:

coleman.gif

A victory for football.

McCarthy will be driven mad by that flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

That McCarthy mistake looks worse and worse with each replay. :(

"Arbeloa it's my birthday can I please have your shirt"

I'm sure he'll see it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Disappointing for the lads,the second goal wasn't deserved.2-0 down to the best team in the world is nothing to cry about though,a fair round-up to a nice little period over the last few weeks.

Overall a fine performance from Spain, first half in particular the precision and pace of their passing was very impressive. Dropped off early second half and struggled a bit for rhythm, which may have had to do with changes made to personnel, but settled after Soldado's excellent volley and controlled the game from there, finally offering up a moment of magic from Mata and Cazorla that alone was worth staying up until 3am for.

Ireland did as expected, got bodies behind the ball, hoofed, and tried to run the channels. Yes I know this wasn't Ireland's first 11 but then Ireland's first 11 played Spain last year in a competitive game and lost 4-0. While they were never going to outpass Spain anyone watching La Liga has seen sides, whose players probably earn a collective wage that would be less than the collective wage of that Irish team tonight, give Barcelona (Spain's starting 11 was made up of 8 Barcelona players) a better game than Ireland did tonight. While you wont pass Spain off the pitch there is a medium to sticking 10 men behind the ball and kicking it in the general vicinity of Conor Sammon in the hope the ball rebounds off him to an Irish player. It was caveman stuff against a slick, modern, passing cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Putting everything into consideration we can be proud of the effort the lads put in tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gutted we didnt' equalise then. Score is probably fair but I'd have preferred 3-1 or 2-1 to 2-0. Think we approached the game a lot better in the second half and its pity we didn't approach it that way in the first half.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

95.4% possession for spain? Did ireland just sit on the goal line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

B]but then Ireland's first 11 played Spain last year in a competitive game and lost 4-0.[/B]

No they didn't. That was far from Ireland's first XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I won't ask for much more than that. We had an under-strength side taking on the World and European Champions, and yet the players weren't overawed.

There was more than a gulf in class here - there was a chasm; even so, the players made the Spanish work for it. Like most, I feared a drubbing, but I think the team earned a lot of credit.I thought McCarthy was probably our best player. He has nailed down a central midfield role and I'm chuffed for him.

The main thing is I think we can take great heart from that performance and believe that we are capable of beating Sweden at home, and Austria away.

Roll on next season.

While they were never going to outpass Spain anyone watching La Liga has seen sides, whose players probably earn a collective wage that would be less than the collective wage of that Irish team tonight, give Barcelona (Spain's starting 11 was made up of 8 Barcelona players) a better game than Ireland did tonight.

Most of those La Liga teams though have players with very good technical ability. It might be stretch but a lot of them would probably make the Irish first XI too.

Spain have a ridiculous strength in depth squad. If each match was 120 minutes long they'd probably coast through them.

andyman wrote: »
    No they didn't. That was far from Ireland's first XI

Well according to the manager it was Ireland's first 11. In any case even if Trapattoni makes a few individual changes does it make much of a difference? If Long plays tonight instead of Sammon then maybe there is a bit more pace on the counter but then Ireland had few opportunities to counter tonight anyway and they lose a target man (of sorts I suppose) in Sammon. No matter who plays, the shape stays the same and the tactics, for the most part, stay the same.

Argentina Columbia now on Premier Sports.

Anyone watching?

Neeson wrote: »
    Argentina Columbia now on Premier Sports.

Anyone watching?

That game happened last week.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Spain were on a different level to our lot.

Don't think giving the ball back to them at every opportunity was our best bet but that's how Trap likes Ireland to play, without the ball.

Though Stephen Quinn was lively when he came on and Sammon did all you could ask of him considering the service he received.

Trap out!

Jernal wrote: »
    Most of those La Liga teams though have players with very good technical ability. It might be stretch but a lot of them would probably make the Irish first XI too.

Spain have a ridiculous strength in depth squad. If each match was 120 minutes long they'd probably coast through them.

But isn't that an issue then? These Irish players go to England, and I can understand why they do it, afterall they speak the same language, it's close to home, the culture is pretty similar, they probably grew up watching English football and there's more money in England than Spain. Maybe if some Irish players tried harder to attract interest from Spanish teams, or other nations, maybe we would have more technically well rounded players?

Obviously that isn't the only issue but I think if Irish players went somewhere else other than England while they were young they might develop into better international footballers.

Jernal wrote: »
    That game happened last week.:pac:

Oh. Both ended with 10 men but it was a 0-0.

Time to go to sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Well according to the manager it was Ireland's first 11. In any case even if Trapattoni makes a few individual changes does it make much of a difference? If Long plays tonight instead of Sammon then maybe there is a bit more pace on the counter but then Ireland had few opportunities to counter tonight anyway and they lose a target man (of sorts I suppose) in Sammon. No matter who plays, the shape stays the same and the tactics, for the most part, stay the same.

You didn't say that. You said Spain beat Ireland's first XI 4-0 and then changed it to Traps First XI. Regardless, that wasn't Ireland's strongest team that played that game. Irelands two best players in Coleman and McCarthy weren't even in Poland. I really don't know what you're trying to achieve here. You're changing your words to suit your already flawed argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair result.

andyman wrote: »
    You didn't say that. You said Spain beat Ireland's first XI 4-0 and then changed it to Traps First XI. Regardless, that wasn't Ireland's strongest team that played that game. Irelands two best players in Coleman and McCarthy weren't even in Poland. I really don't know what you're trying to achieve here. You're changing your words to suit your already flawed argument.

You do realise that Coleman and McCarthy both played tonight in the game we both just watched? You also realise that they were part of a team that, according to some stats, had less than 5% possession (I assume they mean controlled possession)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But isn't that an issue then? These Irish players go to England, and I can understand why they do it, afterall they speak the same language, it's close to home, the culture is pretty similar, they probably grew up watching English football and there's more money in England than Spain. Maybe if some Irish players tried harder to attract interest from Spanish teams, or other nations, maybe we would have more technically well rounded players?

Obviously that isn't the only issue but I think if Irish players went somewhere else other than England while they were young they might develop into better international footballers.

Nope, it's not about where the players go. It's how they're coached before they're old enough to go anywhere.

Corholio wrote: »
    Nope, it's not about where the players go. It's how they're coached before they're old enough to go anywhere.

Yes, and I said that earlier, that too often at a young age kids are typecast into roles, if you have a big lad in your team you'll stick him at centre back or up front. If a player if quick more often than not they can get by on that at junior level and they neglect to improve other technical skills.

Pitch sizes were a big issue but that's being worked on, when I was 11 we played on a full size pitch on the big goals. Competitive games at a young age is an issue too.

However I also think that if Irish players at 17, 18, 19, 20 were to ply their trade in European leagues other than the Premier League, I think they would be more likely to be able to play a passing game at international level. Like I said, I'm not expecting a team of Xavi's but it couldn't be any worse than what we've seen under Trapattoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Final score please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

sugarman wrote: »
    Good game for our 'C' team, put their bodies behind the ball and kept them out for as long as they could. No stupid errors as such,we concentrated well. We took the chances when they came, more or less our set pieces.

Coleman was causing abit of hassle down the right when he got the chance, Arbeloa had a few sticky moments. Same with McClean when he came on, gave us a bit more pace going forward down the left side.

The Spanish are just a class side tho.

Goes to show what we could have done at the euros had Trap not being so negative and dismisive of bringing in new young players to the side sooner.

Id have liked to see what out full strength squad could have pulled off tonight

Forde
    Coleman--JOS----Dunne---Wilson--
    McGeady--McCarthy--Weso--McClean
    Keane

Long

Then ye also have Brady, Walters, Hendrick, Meyler.

bingo! thats the team i would be playing,

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Overall a fine performance from Spain, first half in particular the precision and pace of their passing was very impressive. Dropped off early second half and struggled a bit for rhythm, which may have had to do with changes made to personnel, but settled after Soldado's excellent volley and controlled the game from there, finally offering up a moment of magic from Mata and Cazorla that alone was worth staying up until 3am for.

Ireland did as expected, got bodies behind the ball, hoofed, and tried to run the channels. Yes I know this wasn't Ireland's first 11 but then Ireland's first 11 played Spain last year in a competitive game and lost 4-0. While they were never going to outpass Spain anyone watching La Liga has seen sides, whose players probably earn a collective wage that would be less than the collective wage of that Irish team tonight, give Barcelona (Spain's starting 11 was made up of 8 Barcelona players) a better game than Ireland did tonight. While you wont pass Spain off the pitch there is a medium to sticking 10 men behind the ball and kicking it in the general vicinity of Conor Sammon in the hope the ball rebounds off him to an Irish player. It was caveman stuff against a slick, modern, passing cartel.
    Are these the same teams that Barca regularly hammer without breaking a sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Are these the same teams that Barca regularly hammer without breaking a sweat

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

pleasing performance, i thought we would have gotten stuffed, but overall we did ok and the last few weeks have been very positive for us.

looking forward to the double header in September now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sweden game in the Aviva is a huge game, we've played well the last few weeks and hopefully we can carry it on to the next competitive game in september, anything other then beating Sweden in Dublin will make getting 2nd very difficult.

However, if we beat Sweden on September 6th, Austria face a very tricky trip to Munich to play Germany, we could potentially be 2nd, 3 points clear of Austria and Sweden at the end of the night, that would be the dream scenario but I'll take our victory first and foremost before hoping Germany can turn Austria over.

A win for Germany would take them to 19 pts and mean that if they beat the Faroes away they should all but ensure getting 1st place before we make the trip to Cologne

• Advertisement
Advertisement