Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep Of Ireland V Spain (12/6/2013 - 1am)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rekop dog wrote: »
    A good dozen of those were from the bench this season especially post O' Neill, a season where he was on the whole very poor. Be shocked if he's a starter next season

Probably wont be there . His comments on Di Canio last week won't go down well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

McClean has looked pretty poor since his decent half season debut.

I'd be very worried about my Sunderland future if I were him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Ireland starting XI v Spain: Forde, McShane, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Kelly, Hendrick, McCarthy, Coleman, Keogh, Keane, Sammon

Keogh. It never ceases to beggar belief.

For me the name that jumps out the most is O'Dea. I wasn't too impressed with Keane dropping down to MLS , but for a guy to do it at 25 makes you wonder where his head is. Not to mention just based on his performances for Ireland I honestly think the guy is a liability anyway and shouldn't even be in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

jive wrote: »
    He won't be playing in any team below championship, don't know why you think he will. He's a decent premier league and/or championship player, the fact that he featured in every game this year bar 2 for Sunderland is a testament to this.

Like there's never been players who've been regulars in the premier league for a season or two but found their true level further down the divisions in the medium to long term? Endless amount of examples of this sort of player so your point is pretty weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

roanoke wrote: »
    For me the name that jumps out the most is O'Dea. I wasn't too impressed with Keane dropping down to MLS , but for a guy to do it at 25 makes you wonder where his head is. Not to mention just based on his performances for Ireland I honestly think the guy is a liability anyway and shouldn't even be in the squad.

In fairness to O'Dea, he's punching well above his weight in terms of salary in MLS (14th highest paid player in MLS last year :eek:). You could argue a lack of ambition as far as playing at the top level, I'd call it pragmatism - 25 and unlikely to play premier league, or ever have a shot at this kind of money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Wat are attendences like in the MLS league, how do they make so much money. is soccer really tat big over there to be paying those wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why is the match being played in the USA?

Is it for the Irish in New York or is it money for the FAI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

RGDATA! wrote: »
    In fairness to O'Dea, he's punching well above his weight in terms of salary in MLS (14th highest paid player in MLS last year :eek:). You could argue a lack of ambition as far as playing at the top level, I'd call it pragmatism - 25 and unlikely to play premier league, or ever have a shot at this kind of money again.

I hope he is getting a good salary. I wouldn't oppose any Irish player doing it.

McClean on the bench, I thought he would start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

O'Dea makes $456,250 a year which is about €6,700 a week. He is NOT noted to be much of a good player over here in MLS. FYI The MLS players union publishes all players salaries: http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html?print=1
    Henwin wrote: »
    Wat are attendences like in the MLS league, how do they make so much money. is soccer really tat big over there to be paying those wages
    Average attendances are at about 18,800 which is about right I'd say. That might not sound like a lot but it is still good enough for about the 8th most attended football league in the world.There are variations however e.g. Seattle's is about 39,000 while Chivas USA's is at about 8,000. Chivas USA is a bit of a disaster. It is still bit of a niche sport over here but it is gaining in popularity and the long term outlook is looking good. Some team do operate at a loss e.g. New York but that's their choice.
    mikeym wrote: »

Spain are over here getting ready for the Confederations Cup in Brazil that starts at the weekend. Other teams in CONCACAF have World Cup qualifiers tomorrow so I guess the FAI thought it prudent to grab whatever money was offered to play the game.

• Advertisement

Henwin wrote: »

Toronto, where O'Dea plays, average around 19k per game so similar to Wigan/QPR last year, i.e. low by Premier League standards but still relatively decent. Seattle get an impressive average 39k which is more than the capacity of about half of the premier league grounds. Overall attendances in MLS growing steadily over last 3 years.

FatherTed wrote: »
    O'Dea makes $456,250 a year which is about €6,700 a week. He is NOT noted to be much of a good player over here in MLS. FYI The MLS players union publishes all players salaries: http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html?print=1

that's a bit less a week than I thought but that would still be above average in the Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

FatherTed wrote: »
    O'Dea makes $456,250 a year which is about €6,700 a week. He is NOT noted to be much of a good player over here in MLS. FYI The MLS players union publishes all players salaries: .

Keane highest earner, what a legend. Would have assumed Henry cleared more. Whose had the last laugh now eh Thierry *he didn't seriously drag up Paris did he*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spain are starting the confed cup on saturday and are on training camp in the us prior to it. They probably invited us to a friendly there as they fancied dishing out a whooping for confidence before it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Ireland starting XI v Spain: Forde, McShane, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Kelly, Hendrick, McCarthy, Coleman, Keogh, Keane, Sammon

Keogh. It never ceases to beggar belief.

Can anyone explain to me why Delaney and Meyler are not in the starting lineup?

Both scored a half dozen goals for their clubs this season and both now back in the Prem.Its very disheartening for Meyler as he hasnt been given any gametime in the last few games.

Its a bit strange.Hope he wont follow Gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Is this game defiantly free to air? Haven't seen anything mentioned on the sky planner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

James__10 wrote: »
    Is this game defiantly free to air? Haven't seen anything mentioned on the sky planner

check the sky guide listing , it will be free on setanta sports 1 (not setanta ireland)

and premier sports in the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

USA and the other Concacaf nations are also getting ready for the Gold Cup at the start of July,thats why spain played Haiti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Can anyone explain to me why Delaney and Meyler are not in the starting lineup?

Both scored a half dozen goals for their clubs this season and both now back in the Prem.Its very disheartening for Meyler as he hasnt been given any gametime in the last few games.

Its a bit strange.Hope he wont follow Gibson.

After Trap putting it up to McCarthy to make the trip he was always going to start. Hendrick did well in the chance he had, and I think that he is seeing how a Hendrick/McCarthy partnership will work. Expect Meyler at some stage, I hope...

I would have preferred to see Hoolahan and McCarthy start together as I think we should be looking at them for future competitive matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Of course, It being Trap it was always seriously unlikely but I would have much preferred Meyler in there ahead of Sammon and take a look at 3 man centre-mid. Happy to see McCarthy-Hendrick at least though. 2 lads who should both be looking at 50+ caps at least.

Anybody being watching Hull much last season? Is Meyler playing further up the field than in previous years at Sunderland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Toronto, where O'Dea plays, average around 19k per game so similar to Wigan/QPR last year, i.e. low by Premier League standards but still relatively decent. Seattle get an impressive average 39k which is more than the capacity of about half of the premier league grounds. Overall attendances in MLS growing steadily over last 3 years.

Seattle vs Vancouver was on ESPN yesterday,surprised to see Andy O'Brien playing for Vancouver as I thought he'd retired years ago.

Few other familiar faces like Obafemi Martins,Djimi Traore,Kenny Miller and Nigel Reo Coker playing too.

The attendance was 50,000 too apparently.

• Advertisement

Just checked the Sky Epg and from looking at it I dont think its Free To Air.

Theres no programme info on Setanta Sports1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Any word on the Spain team yet? I haven't seen it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

On sky its coming up as being on Setanta Ireland. Be great if it went FTA for the match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

S28382 wrote: »
    On sky its coming up as being on Setanta Ireland. Be great if it went FTA for the match.

its on both but only free on setanta sports 1

check setanta sports 1 for 12.30 am
    http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

was really confident going into the England game, but worried about this...given our depleted team and Spain warming up for the confederations cup, this could be a pelting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Stevecw wrote: »
    Any word on the Spain team yet? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Provisional Spain XI to face Republic of Ireland: Valdes; Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba; Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta; Pedro, Villa, Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Provisional Spain XI to face Republic of Ireland: Valdes; Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba; Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta; Pedro, Villa, Silva

Oh feck, that's what Ramos & Pique will be thinking once they see the big Fish up front.

Seriously tho that has 5 or 6 nil all over it. O'Dea & Ledger v Villa/Silva & Pedro running at McShane...it def will be at least 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Lads is this free to air or not? Someone check,im at work. It was FTA as a few days ago when i looked on Setanta sports 1 a few days ago

I just checked the Sky epg and Setanta Sports1 are not showing anything at half 12.

The game is on Setanta Ireland but theres no mention of the game on freeview :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Lads is this free to air or not? Someone check,im at work. It was FTA as a few days ago when i looked on Setanta sports 1 a few days ago

edit: don't think so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

At the time it says Setanta Sports 1 are showing "This is Setanta Sports" but in the info section it says international friendly Ireland vs Spain and has a little bit on info on the game. It doesn't mention freeview though.

It really would be disappointing if this wasn't on freeview after it was advertised as such, however it would be typical Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

UPC channel 105 have it on, thats setanta ireland, not setanta 1 - so if you have setanta ireland you're kosher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Checked their twitter. No its not fta now. *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not for us.

Setanta Sports ‏@SetantaSports 3h

Just to clarify the Ire V Spain game is only on Setanta Ireland and NOT freeview for Sky Customers. #COYBIG

Stream it is, watch the nba on the telly then.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Not for us.

Setanta Sports ‏@SetantaSports 3h

Just to clarify the Ire V Spain game is only on Setanta Ireland and NOT freeview for Sky Customers. #COYBIG

I
    Stream it is, watch the nba on the telly then.

I've setanta Ireland on UPC, I don't pay extra for it, but it's showing gaa at the min, will the game be on that free to watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yeah it seems as if if you have UPC then its free but Sky dont carry Setanta so Sky subscribers are out of luck unless of course they pay for Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

I've setanta Ireland on UPC, I don't pay extra for it, but it's showing gaa at the min, will the game be on that free to watch?

Setanta Ireland is free with UPC so yes you're all set. Coverage starts at 12:30am

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Like there's never been players who've been regulars in the premier league for a season or two but found their true level further down the divisions in the medium to long term? Endless amount of examples of this sort of player so your point is pretty weak.

No because he's not out of his depth at all, why would he end up playing in league one? Do you honestly think nobody above league one would give an international winger with premier league experience a shot at championship based on what they've seen? Christ, bookmark this and come back to correct me in a few years if you want but it's moronic to think he will be anywhere below championship in his prime years based on his current ability never mind his potential ability. Give some examples of that sort of player who ended up below championship in their prime and we can compare their case to McClean if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ireland vs spain, PLOT TWIST actually ireland vs barcalona

@FutbolBible: Spain XI vs. Ireland: Valdés, Arbeloa, Piqué, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Pedro, Silva, Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Can I ask someone to PM me a link to watch a stream of the match of is it illegals?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

4-0 Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

ohh jesus that brian kerr is going to put me to sleep already...hurry up with the game ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Great stream there for anyone with no Setanta;

atdhe.so/soccer/watch-spain-ireland-3d3b1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Nowso wrote: »
    Match at Yankee Stadium.

Broadcast on Al Jazeera
    And On Setanta Sports 1 (Freeview) ie open to Sky box users Free or any using a Sky card in a Fta box

Checked sky channel 423 not free help.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The Glory Days of Giants Stadium, World Cup '94, on ESPN Classic right now in case anybody is interested! :D

G'wan McGrath, you legend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

It said today on sky that it was free view and it isnt now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

The Glory Days of Giants Stadium, World Cup '94, on ESPN Classic right now in case anybody is interested! :D

Was watching that as well. Great memories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Im watching that instead. They could still be playing and McGrath would have us with a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I'm working in spain at the moment and going to go to bed now before the match and pretend at work tomorrow that I didnt even know there was a match on...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Relaxing in the sofa with a big bottle of coke, munchies etc...

Love these late night games every so often. Reminds me of staying up late for the copa America...

But think I'll Need to drink a load of fizzy crap to keep me awake from listening to kerr

• Advertisement
Advertisement