Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep Of Ireland V Spain (12/6/2013 - 1am)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We are a disgrace to the game of football.

At least mix it up the odd time.

roanoke wrote: »
    Well 0-0. Spain do not look happy so far

Considering have an XI out there made up for the most part of 2x MLS players, 6x Championship players and 2x Prem relegated players I don't think we can complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

:confused: We're 0-0 with the World champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can't stand Brian Kerr's accent. Keeps making me think of "aaaahhhh leave it ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggtggttttttttt"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

donfers wrote: »
    I bet you're fun at parties

I'm great craic, if you stick on a Barcelona match in the background I'll commentate on it and point out what they are doing that Irish players don't do and then I'll point out why they don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Pretty much, it's the equivalent of man united playing Arrington Stanley in terms of players on the pitch, can't believe people are moaning at the performance so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Lucky to be so. We haven't had a kick of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

No tap-ins for Robbie tonight. Not if Sammons and his big toe have his way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Completed passes according to Opta Jose - Spain 438, Ireland 49.

Lad on Twitter in response -
    whats the score tho ya prick?

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

surprised people are complaining

with our b team we are level with the current world and european champions who are at full strength

they are dominating possession as they do in every game but have created only 2-3 good chances

we may still lose 2 or 3-0 but we've defended well and worked hard - i didn't expect much more with the team we put out

I'm great craic, if you stick on a Barcelona match in the background I'll commentate on it and point out what they are doing that Irish players don't do and then I'll point out why they don't do it.

Pretty much, but your mind can't comprehend what's happening on the pitch? You scoffed at Sammons attempt earlier yet Spain had at least 10 shots wid me of the target previously, your heads In the clouds and you see what you want, Bayern v barca was the thread of the year just to see you flap about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

FearDark wrote: »
    Lucky to be so. We haven't had a kick of the ball.

They haven't had many more chances then us. Of course We're going to struggle, but thats true irrespective of the gameplan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Skid X wrote: »
    I'd love a Doner Kebab from Zaytoon now.

I'm ****ing starving. This would be amazing now:

doner_kebab430x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Being hammered 0-0 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ireland are playing into Spains hand. They need to keep a more rigid structure. Some of the pressing is pointless. Eventually stamina will tell and Spain could tear us apart. :(
    Hopefully Ireland calm down a bit in the second half.

Anyway, half way there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You need a bit of luck against the big teams. The Dutch spurned a ton of chances during that famous win over them back in 2001, Kluivert I think it was who should have scored right at the start.

And I believe if we tried to play these guys at their own game we would lose 8-0.

Sammon's chance was also a very good one and we could have potentially gone in at half-time with a lead.

With a team as limited as ourselves - especially one playing a lot of second string players - this is as good as it gets against the World and European Champions.

It's like an under-strength Stoke going in at half-time 0-0 against Barca. Of course Stoke are the Achilles Heel of anything associated with Spanish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

WOO HOO!!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

As I've seen the ad for that hairloss clinic at least 6 times now, between the start of this game, I have to ask , is it just me, or does the second guy who got it done look worse?

Wait, 7 times....
    Up to 8 times now....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'd say you could get an ad on Setanta for the price of a bag of chips.

Thanks for iterating what we all knee prior to the game, and deflecting around answering the previous statement you made, how at barca doing?

The current, reigning La Liga Champions, with a points total of 100, equalling the record previously set by Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid. Champions League semi finalists this season.

Since then they have signed the greatest talent to come out of Brazil since Ronaldinho, Neymar. They make up the vast majority of the Spanish team tonight (with an incredible 8 of the starting 11 currently being Barcelona players) who hope to win the Confederations Cup this Summer, they will then enter next season looking to mount a very serious challenge for the Champions League and La Liga. Més que un club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

[-0-] wrote: »
    Can't stand Brian Kerr's accent. Keeps making me think of "aaaahhhh leave it ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggtggttttttttt"

If Keane was a Pokémon, Kerr would be his evolved state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah I'm ridiculously starving right now, great hunger stuff going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jernal wrote: »
    Ireland are playing into Spains hand. They need to keep a more rigid structure. Some of the pressing is pointless. Eventually stamina will tell and Spain could tear us apart. :(
    Hopefully they calm down a bit in the second half.

Anyway, half way there. :)

So could love but i dont see us stopping that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

haha that hair ad is tempting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's level on the scoreline but that's the only place it's level. The difference is staggering, the teams look like they are playing entirely different sports. Spain's passing has been fantastic, sharp, incisive, played with a real verve and at a good tempo, only their finishing has let them down but it surely wont stay that way in the second half.

By contrast Ireland have been dismal on the ball, but that is what happens when your policy of developing youth players picks out the bigger, more athletic kids over the smaller, more nimble and technically good kids. I'm not saying we have a country of undiscovered Xavi's and Iniesta's but I am saying that there is no way that Sammon, McShane ect. are the best we can do.

Your posts truly are ridiculous. I really like Barca, but posts like these and ones you've posted before make me realise why some people don't like Barca.

I hope none of our lads square up to a regista. They won't know what hit them!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

We could totally chip in for a boards.ie soccer forum ad..

Edit: 9 times now....

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Pretty much, it's the equivalent of man united playing Arrington Stanley in terms of players on the pitch, can't believe people are moaning at the performance so far.

Who are Arrington Stanley? :rolleyes:

Pretty much, but your mind can't comprehend what's happening on the pitch? You scoffed at Sammons attempt earlier yet Spain had at least 10 shots wid me of the target previously, your heads In the clouds and you see what you want, Bayern v barca was the thread of the year just to see you flap about.

Different situation, different circumstances. Lets see what the story is next season, it's all well and good winning it once, I don't think Bayern will win it again next season, with the right signings this Summer I fully expect Barcelona to win the Champions League next season, and for Spain to win the Confederations Cup this Summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The current, reigning La Liga Champions, with a points total of 100, equalling the record previously set by Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid. Champions League semi finalists this season.

Since then they have signed the greatest talent to come out of Brazil since Ronaldinho, Neymar. They make up the vast majority of the Spanish team tonight (with an incredible 8 of the starting 11 currently being Barcelona players) who hope to win the Confederations Cup this Summer, they will then enter next season looking to mount a very serious challenge for the Champions League and La Liga. Més que un club.

Was it 7-0 they lost to Bayern

barcelona are so blinded by the completed passes stats that they forget about the scoreline that actually decides the game

neymar is vastly over-rated too and I predict he will flop, he is the last thing that barca need, a good centre-back and defensive midfielder are badly needed there but I digest ....back to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Yay

Found a link for setanta. Glad to hear Kerr on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Jesus, we have a depleted side against a near full strength Spain side and we've kept it level so far. Lamenting the style of play is fine when playing the Faroes etc, but this match was always going to be hoofed clearances and last ditch defending. I'm delighted with that first half

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

watched hendrick myself for a few years i like to keep an eye on whats coming through, hes a smashing player but his work rate tonight is ****e hes standing off players and letting them go wide around him

Yea I agree with ye he has been letting them through a bit easily leaving McCarthy to do all the work. Hendricks prob a bit star struck at the mo

Can't understand why people unhappy with the score? Spain dominate every team in World Football... Can anyone remember when they didn't?

We have a squad nowhere near Spain and never will so were using our strengths against theirs and so far at 0-0 it's working.

I'm all for nice football but with the squad of players were missing & the manager we have style let's face it.. It's not gonna happen!!! It's another experienced gained for a youngish Irish team

barcelona are so blinded by the completed passes stats that they forget about the scoreline that actually decides the game

neymar is vastly over-rated too and I predict he will flop, he is the last thing that barca need, a good centre-back and defensive midfielder are badly needed there but I digest ....back to Ireland

When the score is

Completed passes according to Opta Jose - Spain 438, Ireland 49

How could you not be blinded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Who are Arrington Stanley? :rolleyes:

My Mum said, If I didn't drink lots of milk, when I grew up, I'd only be good enough to play for Arrington Stanley.

Thanks for the brief synopsis of Barcelona, what's that got to do with the points I previously mentioned, honestly are you 12? Right lads im off to wiki Robbie keane ill post it back here in a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As an Irish footie fan its hard watching, but at least I've got my own hair.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Navas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

24 c in NY now.

Going be a tough 45 ahead for lads in defence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

100% agree with this. Roll the ball to the full backs maybe once or twice, drag Spain forward. Try something different for a friendly.

What is to be gained from the friendly if you spend 90 minutes hacking the ball towards Sammon. 0-0 or otherwise.

When the score is

Completed passes according to Opta Jose - Spain 438, Ireland 49

How could you not be blinded?

And yet they've been restricted to one clear cut chance as we have and shots outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You digest what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Yea I agree with ye he has been letting them through a bit easily leaving McCarthy to do all the work. Hendricks prob a bit star struck at the mo

Can't understand why people unhappy with the score? Spain dominate every team in World Football... Can anyone remember when they didn't?

We have a squad nowhere near Spain and never will so were using our strengths against theirs and so far at 0-0 it's working.

I'm all for nice football but with the squad of players were missing & the manager we have style let's face it.. It's not gonna happen!!! It's another experienced gained for a youngish Irish team

real pity hoolahan wasnt around id say he would of created some good chances with his vision against these. if hed been playing a bit earlier keane would have double his tally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I don't mind Barca and love Spain for gambling reasons, but you would honestly make someone despise them both.

Hand on heart, do you want Spain to hammer Ireland here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Any subs at halftime?

You auld fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Joekers wrote: »
    Any subs at halftime?

Silva > Navas

Hendrick > Quinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Someone let me know when Sammon wins a header, I dont think its physically possible for him to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

gustafo wrote: »
    haha that hair ad is tempting

note to boardsie profiler: gustafo from cork is bald

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I don't mind Barca and love Spain for gambling reasons, but you would honestly make someone despise them both.

Hand on heart, do you want Spain to hammer Ireland here?

No but I love football and one team plays football and the other team doesn't. I dont see how anyone could be proud of the stuff Ireland play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If we brought back Terry Phelan now he would do a better job than McShane, he is absolutely atrocious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

"Second half is now underway. Irl subs: 18 Quinn for 21 Hendrick. Spain subs: 22 Navas for 21 Silva"

Herein lies the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement