Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reincarnation.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Even though I believe in reincarnation is happening within the illusion or if you like the dream, I know that reincarnation is impossible as time does not exist.

You cannot 'believe' and 'dis-believe' reincarnation within the same sentence as this is self-contradiction (True and False = False)

Do you own or use a watch / clock?? If you do or make use of these devices then, by default, you accept the concept of Time...it's measurement, it's importance in regulating your life, etc.

Do you celebrate birthdays? If you do, then not only do you accept Time, but also the existence of an ageing 'Self'.

When we fully realise (not just in an intellectual way) that life is just a dream we will free of all pain , suffering and all negative emotions such as anger, fear, anxiety etc. Just like a bad dream or nightmare we feel all the negative emotions associated with it while it is happening. And upon awakening we wonder just how something like a dream could affect us in such a way.

This way of thinking or looking on the world is not for everyone and I suggest that it is better if anyone is upset by these ideas or anything that does not bring peace to your mind should be dropped. These ideas are not for everyone, this I know from my own life experience. Enlightenment can only come to a mind that is still, calm and peaceful.

If Life is just a dream (as you say) then that implies a 'Mind' that is dreaming it....which in turn implies a Being that posses that Mind...which gives rise to the existence of 'you', 'me' and 'everyone else'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Not really interested in arguments. I state my views I am not asking anyone to agree with them.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Xenophile wrote: »
    Not really interested in arguments. I state my views I am not asking anyone to agree with them.

I think you just can't defend your views and it's as simple as that. When someone says that time does not exists... I mean come on. Do you even know what time means?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In fairness gumbi, this is a spiritual forum, not a scientific one. You cannot ask for scientific arguments to do with things that are felt and believed rather than proven.

Oryx wrote: »
    In fairness gumbi, this is a spiritual forum, not a scientific one. You cannot ask for scientific arguments to do with things that are felt and believed rather than proven.

Unless people are redefining time, which is a defined physical (as in, of physics) concept, then it becomes a scientific issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Would any of your facts hold up in a scientific study??

Check out Dr. Ian Stevenson's work in the 70's and 80's. I think he was one of the the only credible academics researching reincarnation. He published a few popular books based on his formal research papers.

It's a contentious issue, so mainstream academia tends to shy away from it. Look what happened to Harvard professor John E. Mack when he began to research UFO abductees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Step back from grand stage of daily life, give the idea of reincarnation some thought, and form your own individual point of view, prove or disprove the notion to yourself, that's the point, don't go through life asleep without considering these types of issues, create your own identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Einstein toyed with time, its just an invention. There is only movement, and if you must put a time stamp on it be it past movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BenRowe

why don't you write a blog then instead of posting where people will express different views or argue? You go to a discussion forum but do not want to discuss

This post is only for people who think that the belief in Reincarnation would be helpful to them here and now.

Much of the information shown below has been taken from http://letusponder.hubpages.com/hub/10-books-about-Reincarnation

Reincarnation may not exist. It is something that is difficult to prove, mainly because when someone recalls a past life to discover the purpose and meaning of this life, it doesn't really matter what their name was and what street they lived on.

People have been regressed to past lives and have uncovered verifiable facts or described things that existed that there was no way they could have previously known. On the other hand, people have also detailed past lives that are historically untrue. Names and places proved false. Things, apparently, were simply made up much like someone just telling a story.

So, as I stated, reincarnation may not exist.

But something fascinating, something wonderful and very powerful happens when people are regressed: their symptoms, their conflicts, and their issues in almost every case are resolved or are now accepted and not anguished over. People who discover the reason for migraines, for example, often eliminate the migraines. Others with chemical imbalances towards depression and suicide soon are no longer depressed.

So, SOMETHING happens psychologically when people are regressed. Even if the past life that is detailed did not, in fact, exist, their story, their situation, their life that was described most every time helps psychologically. In other words, a person's subconscious mind is able to create - or remember - things that impact them deeply in positive ways.

So, does reincarnation exist? I believe it does, however, I can't prove it scientifically. What is important to understand is that recalling past lives - real or fiction - benefits people in profound and dramatic ways.

Ten books on reincarnation that come highly recommended for those who are interested in the subject.

1. Children's Past Lives: How Past Life Memories Affect Your Child, by Carol Bowman

2. Many Lives Many Masters, Brian Weiss

3. You Have Been Here Before: A Psychologist Looks at Past Lives, Dr. Edith Fiore

4. Children Who Remember, Dr. Ian Stevenson

5. Past Lives, Future Lives, Dick Sutphen

6. Reliving Past Lives, Helen Wambach

7. Edgar Cayce's Story of Karma, Mary Ann Woodward

8. Mass Dreams of the Future, Chet Snow

9. Reincarnation, Sylvia Cranston and Carey Williams

10. Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives, by Michael Duff Newton

1. Children's Past Lives: How Past Life Memories Affect Your Child, by Carol Bowman

When her young son's hysterical fear of loud noises is cured by past life regressionist Norman Inge, and her daughter's fear of house fires is likewise laid to rest, Bowman, who had already been regressed by Inge, began to explore past-life regression techniques and theories, particularly as they relate to young children. Part memoir, part guidebook for parents, part summation of the works and philosophies of such respected authorities as Jungian therapist Roger Woolger, psychologist Helen Wambach and psychiatrist Ian Stephenson, among others, this book argues passionately for the existence of past lives and for the special abilities of young children to recall their pre-birth memories. Topics covered include death accounts by children, the way phobias may be connected with death in a past life, particularly a traumatic death, and the signs that indicate that a child is struggling with an unresolved past-life burden.

2. Many Lives Many Masters, Brian Weiss

Many people consider Brian Weiss the foremost thinker and researcher when it comes to past lives and reincarnation. I only listed one of his books. All are worth reading.

3. You Have Been Here Before: A Psychologist Looks at Past Lives, Dr. Edith Fiore

This book is different that many others on past lives. The focus is on how events in our past lives influence our behaviors in THIS lifetime. It was the first book that compared the psychology of reincarnation therapy to all other forms of therapy -- with the conclusion that reincarnation therapy is the only form of therapy that can offer an explanation for EVERY case.

4. Children Who Remember, Dr. Ian Stevenson

For those who'd like a little more proof, Dr. Ian Stevenson's work with children is fascinating. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.childpastlives.org/

5. Past Lives, Future Lives, Dick Sutphen

This book takes you through the teachings of Dick Stuphen as he regresses a number of people into their past lives. Even if you just think past lives are intriguing, you will find this book will open your eyes to possibilities you've never even thought of. This book will enable you to have a better understanding of why some relationships are suburb and others are awful.

6. Reliving Past Lives, Helen Wambach

Initially motivated by a desire to debunk reincarnation, beginning in the mid-1960s, Helen Wambach conducted a 10-year survey of past-life recalls under hypnosis among 1,088 subjects. She asked very specific questions about the time periods in which people lived and the clothing, footwear, utensils, money, housing, etc. which they used or came in contact with. Wambach concluded found peoples' recollections to be amazingly accurate and wrote that ''fantasy and genetic memory could not account for the patterns that emerged in the results. With the exception of 11 subjects, all descriptions of clothing, footwear, and utensils were consistent with historical records.'' By doing a scientific analysis on the past lives reported by 10,000 plus sessions, she came up with some startling evidence in favor of reincarnation.

7. Edgar Cayce's Story of Karma, Mary Ann Woodward

A good introduction to Edgar Cayce. But this is only one book. The absolute best place for examples of past lives and the impact these lives have on the current are books of and about the Edgar Cayce readings. There are many to choose from.

For those who are not familiar with Edgar Cayce; he was a psychic who died in 1945 or 1946. He would place himself into a self-hypnotic trance state in order to give what he called "Life Readings." He started out tuning into people for the sole purpose of giving health advice, but one time his trance-self detailed the reason for a person's certain condition was due to past life influence. From there, with much hesitation as he was a devout Christian, he started conducting Life Readings.

Over the many years, he conducted over 14,000 of such readings, every one of them transcribed by a secretary who sat right next to him taking shorthand.

(I know about Edgar Cayce because I once lectured at The Association of Research and Enlightenment, A.R.E., in Virginia Beach, VA. They have a vast library there including every reading he's ever done in addition to what may very well be the largest metaphysical library in the world.)

Great site: http://www.edgarcayce.org/

8. Many Mansions: The Edgar Cayce Story on Reincarnation, by Dr. Gina Cerminara

It's rare that I call a book a must-read. This is a must-read. If you're not sure, read or skim the first chapter or two. If you're not intrigued enough to read on, I'd be surprised.

9. Mass Dreams of the Future, Chet Snow

Mass Dreams of the Future is an important book because it characterizes several possible types of futures we might have, based on the individual choices we make today.

Chet Snow collected and categorized the descriptions of "future life journeys" of hundreds of people he worked with under hypnosis. Using valid analysis methodologies, he has drawn some fascinating hypotheses about the kind of societies we might be evolving into

10. Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives, by Michael Duff Newton

Journey of Souls is a controversial yet inspiring investigation of the big question we all face at one point or another: "What happens after we die?" To find the answer, Newton opens cases from his private practice in which he hypnotically regressed his clients to a point between lives--after death, but before birth. Not only does Newton grapple with reincarnation, the spirit world, and the nature of the human soul, he also tackles equally sticky questions such as "Is there a Heaven and Hell?" and "What are ghosts?" Readers with a penchant for skepticism will balk at the lack of physical evidence to back up the claims in Journey of Souls, but the book remains a reassuring voice, affirming that our existence is not limited to the boundaries of our mortal flesh. --Brian Patterson

Another Classic Book on the subject

Reincarnation: The Phoenix Fire Mystery by Sylvia Cranston (Editor), Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (Foreward)

This classic anthology offers ancient and modern perspectives on Job's question: 'If a man die, shall he live again?' Spanning over 5,000 years of world thought, the selections invite consideration of an idea that has found hospitality in the greatest minds of history.

I opened this thread for those who are interested in the subject of reincarnation with a view to being of help to people who are trying to find explanations in relation to events and situations in their own lives that they are seeking answers for, and up to now no "conventional" explanations have been helpful to them.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'm a believer in reincarnation. There's a clip up on YouTube, called Wednesday with bob Monroe . He goes through what he believes reincarnation to be. I find it very interesting. I hope it might be of help to those interested in the topic.

Sorry I cannt put the direct link here as I don't know how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BenRowe

I'm a believer in reincarnation. There's a clip up on YouTube, called Wednesday with bob Monroe . He goes through what he believes reincarnation to be. I find it very interesting. I hope it might be of help to those interested in the topic.

you just put the cursor at the right of the youtube link where it says www.youtube.com etc
    Left click to highlight link
    Right click and you wil see a menu including the word copy
    Left click the word copy
    Put your cursor here in your boards post
    Right click and you will see a menu including the word paste
    Left click on the word paste

First find on youtube what you want to put here. Right click the address bar and, then left click copy.

Come here now and click on post reply, put the cursor into the main body here and right click you tube on the right hand side. u tube will appear in the main body of the posting area, put the cursor in between the brackets go to edit and hit the paste button.

There is a test here on boards where you can practice.........on the left side of the screen go to....... home...then.......sys.....then.......test........and you can practice away.

BenRowe wrote: »
    you just put the cursor at the right of the youtube link where it says www.youtube.com etc
    Left click to highlight link
    Right click and you wil see a menu including the word copy
    Left click the word copy
    Put your cursor here in your boards post
    Right click and you will see a menu including the word paste
    Left click on the word paste

I hope that between the two of us, that is Ben and myself we have been able to help you. If all fails private message me and I will put it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 monyman

The main reason behind what people lacking the faith of the god is that people are not getting what they wish to God. They want instant result whatever they demanded from god. Also the truth is that god has provided us everything which we need in daily life, and still providing. People are used to crying all time even they get that things and finding error in everything. They don't have patience, and also many churches are closed all across the world, and missionary are unable to wake up the faith of the go in the heart of the people.

monyman wrote: »
    The main reason behind what people lacking the faith of the god is that people are not getting what they wish to God. They want instant result whatever they demanded from god. Also the truth is that god has provided us everything which we need in daily life, and still providing. People are used to crying all time even they get that things and finding error in everything. They don't have patience, and also many churches are closed all across the world, and missionary are unable to wake up the faith of the go in the heart of the people.

I agree with much of what you say, my view is .......Let's wake up to the fact that we already have everything and that there is no need to send up begging prayers to God, I was once reminded that "God is not deaf, so if you do feel a need to make a request, try and remember that He/She heard you the first time".

monyman wrote: »
    Err. No? I would imagine there are a variety of reasons, many of them evidence based. But I'm only going to speak for myself in this case.

It's very arrogant to suggest that people don't believe in God becausw they didn't get what they wanted from him. What about polytheistic religions? What about Buddhists (some of which are atheists)? What about cultures which are atheistic (such as a tribe in the Amazon)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

i suppose when it comes to praying many peoples relationship with God is out of fear rather than love. it leads sometimes to grieving while praying rather than gratitude, deep sadness rather than joy, full of wants and needs rather than contentment etc etc etc... This is why praying from our desires, wants and needs rather than from the calmness within our Heart is not suggested.

Saying that most religions grieve their spirituality or from a place of fear rather than celebrating their spiritual connection with joy to God.

Though I believe more and more people are using their Hearts while praying rather than from their mind and desires, wants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 monyman

Gumbi wrote: »
    Err. No? I would imagine there are a variety of reasons, many of them evidence based. But I'm only going to speak for myself in this case.

It's very arrogant to suggest that people don't believe in God becausw they didn't get what they wanted from him. What about polytheistic religions? What about Buddhists (some of which are atheists)? What about cultures which are atheistic (such as a tribe in the Amazon)?
    It doesn't matter of arrogant or, whether you believe or not. Truth is truth, and you have to accept it. People are in haste of getting everything overnight. But, it can't be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Has peer reviewed scientific analysis proved the existence of reincarnation?
    "Not yet!" is the kindest answer.

"Of spiritual gifts I would not have you ignorant" St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians

He goes on to say .............these gifts which implied clairvoyance, clairaudience etc. were all meaningless unless you had love all these gifts were meaningless........" A clanging cymbal or a noisy gong"..........Love is the one True Life Changing Gift by which we can develop ourselves.

If you were very rich financially and someone asked you to prove it.........would you bother, there would not be much point as the interrogator would probably tell you that you stole it or that it belonged to someone else.

I would like to be kind here with the words of Jesus as they are often used as a form of attack and of course Everything that Jesus said or did was only, and could only be said or done or done be out of Love.

"Do not cast your pearls to the swine."

"Of spiritual gifts I would not have you ignorant" St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians

He goes on to say .............these gifts which implied clairvoyance, clairaudience etc. were all meaningless unless you had love all these gifts were meaningless........" A clanging cymbal or a noisy gong"..........Love is the one True Life Changing Gift by which we can develop ourselves.

If you were very rich financially and someone asked you to prove it.........would you bother, there would not be much point as the interrogator would probably tell you that you stole it or that it belonged to someone else.

I would like to be kind here with the words of Jesus as they are often used as a form of attack and of course Everything that Jesus said or did was only, and could only be said or done or done be out of Love.

"Do not cast your pearls to the swine."

In fairness, the Bible says a lot of things.

Advertisement