Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can this person become a Lawyer?

• 09-06-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I was just wondering can someone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (mild Asperger's Syndrome) become a Lawyer?. My Autistic friend likes public speaking, has a good understanding of expressions most other autistic people wouldn't understand and can tell when someone is lying in most cases. However she has difficulty in making friends.
    She has no problem in making acquaintances and is content enough when she has a few people who say hello or occasionally make small talk with her.
    She is very good at public speaking but would her communication skills hold her back if she became a Lawyer. Could a Solicitor for example be let go if he/she did not really interact with the others in his/her office?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I wouldn't class it as a problem once she can meet all the educational requirements and normal requirements the rest of us have to meet.

For what its worth, I came across a couple of people when I was training to go to the Bar that surely had mild Aspergers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Hi Everyone,
    I was just wondering can someone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (mild Asperger's Syndrome) become a Lawyer?. My Autistic friend likes public speaking, has a good understanding of expressions most other autistic people wouldn't understand and can tell when someone is lying in most cases. However she has difficulty in making friends.
    She has no problem in making acquaintances and is content enough when she has a few people who say hello or occasionally make small talk with her.
    She is very good at public speaking but would her communication skills hold her back if she became a Lawyer. Could a Solicitor for example be let go if he/she did not really interact with the others in his/her office?

Thank you

I can see no reason why your fried could not become a solicitor or barrister. Many areas of practice would be most suited to her. If she is really interested she should try and arrange work experience with a solicitor firm and a barrister, she could contact both the law society and the bar council, explain her issues and they maybe able to arrange work experience.

She may find the Bar a better bet for her but it will all depend on the area of practice she wants to get involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭I love angels

Thanks guys, you're the best! Very helpful replies

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

My son has Aspergers and the legal area is one that I think would suit him.

First of all people with Aspergers like structure, they like things to be concrete. And in a lot of cases the law is structured, its not arbitrary.

Secondly, the law is an area where encyclopaedic knowledge is of benefit. Its great if you can remember the ins and outs of e.g. "Dumbo v Bambi 1963" and its similarities to "Bart v Homer 2006". People with Aspergers have this capacity.

As you said, many people with Aspergers have a tremendous ability to speak at length (about a topic of their choosing). And if your friend is interested in the law, I think it would be great for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I woudn't see any problem with your friend entering either side of the profession. Without wanting to be facetious or make light of something so serious I have come across a number of Solicitors and Barristers who would perhaps benefit from evaluation. One or two of them were immensely successful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement