Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths - Constructions

• 09-06-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Do we need to know all of them by heart? Is there a specific number or range of constructions we need to know?
    Is there a chance that they will not come up in OL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Do we get a choice between theorems and constructions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

my teacher told us just to learn the construction and never mentioned anything about theorems so i'm guessing we do have a choice. However there is people on here saying we've to know both so i'm just really confused by it all now -not what you wan't the day before the exam:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Assuming you are talking about HL, Q6 will have a choice but it there may not be a construction so you may have to prove something. Have you not looked at the sample paper?

Will I chance just learning the constructions? I'm looking for an A so I don't want to throw it all away just cause I thought I didn't need to know any theorems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Will I chance just learning the constructions? I'm looking for an A so I don't want to throw it all away just cause I thought I didn't need to know any theorems

Learn the theorems tbh! Both a construction and a theorem came up last year as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Don't be an idiot, there are only 3 theorems just learn them. It could be 25 marks (4%) you're throwing away. Have you looked at last yrs p2?!

Last year it was a construction or theorem for OL..what 3 theorems are there for OL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I'm pretty sure it's a choice, you do either A or B of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sullanefc

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Last year it was a construction or theorem for OL..what 3 theorems are there for OL?

You do not have to prove the 3 theorems for OL, just know how to use them. Just learn the constructions. Some of the constructions are done on this website:

http://www.mathopenref.com/tocs/constructionstoc.html

http://www.projectmathshelp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/project_maths_help_constructions.pdf

does that mean there are only 2 less constructions to be learned for OL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

In HL there's definitely a choice between Constructions and Proofs. Our teacher didn't bother with proofs at all and did a bit on constructions. Constructions are very straight forward. Handy if you do DCG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    In HL there's definitely a choice between Constructions and Proofs. Our teacher didn't bother with proofs at all and did a bit on constructions. Constructions are very straight forward. Handy if you do DCG!
    There wasn't a choice on the mock and isn't a choice in pretty much all the sample papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't get how teachers can say that because on last year's paper there was very clearly a theorem and a construction and no choice (other than 6B). :confused:

Advertisement