Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinion gear removal

• 09-06-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway to remove the pinion gear on a motor without the proper tool. My friend and I have a g&p m120 and his pinion is pretty worn. I have a g&g pinion that I can give him if we can get them off.his pinion is fairly worn but still works, it's had about 3000 rounds through it. Do you reckon it will last another 1000 or so on semi auto. We'd really rather replace it so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »

Thanks for that, unfortunately I have the pinion gear that doesn't have a grub screw so I'd say I'd need a tool. Do you know or does anyone know if the shops around Dublin....hobby, sg etc would have this tool available in store so I could just pop in and change it there and then?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Hobby might. I'd ask them on boards before dropping by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

I have one of those tools and if you care to post it to me and provide a stamp self addressed padded envelope for the return journey I will happily do it for you for free

Did OP say it's showing bad wear after 3000 rounds? That's less than one bag of BBs. In that case I would say that the motor isn't properly engaging the gears and wearing down prematurely.

If this is the problems you have to get it fixed first, otherwise it'll keep using up gears and something else might break.

• Advertisement

CpcRc wrote: »
    Just sent Inari a message there. Thanks :)
    DeBurca wrote: »
    I have one of those tools and if you care to post it to me and provide a stamp self addressed padded envelope for the return journey I will happily do it for you for free

Thanks DeBurca your a real gent, if hobby have one then I'll do it there because I'll be heading up to them in a week or two anyway. If they don't, then I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
    Once again, thanks for the offer :)

Did OP say it's showing bad wear after 3000 rounds? That's less than one bag of BBs. In that case I would say that the motor isn't properly engaging the gears and wearing down prematurely.

If this is the problems you have to get it fixed first, otherwise it'll keep using up gears and something else might break.

The g&p pinion gears are quite weak from what I hear but I'll have a look at it once I get the time. Hes using the self shimming gears by vfc so the sound is all different than shimmed gears and I'm only judging it by where it sounds the quietest.

Could be 6000 bbs or there abouts but still....

Does anyone here have any advice on how to know that the pinion gear is engaging the bevel at the correct position with self shimming gears.
    Thanks

Is the pistol grip attached tightly? If it's loose or one of the screws isn't tight enough, that can cause the motor to not engage at the best angle.

I had heard that G&P gears can be weak but didn't think they would be that weak. I have got motors with more BBs through them and almost no wear on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

You can tell by the noise, if the motor height is too high you will hear a screaching noise, too low it just wont sound right, you will always know when it is right.

When your motor is inserted to the gearbox the pinion keeps the bevel pushed to one side, a few shims on the flat side we will call it of the bevel gear provided there is play with the gear, will make the meshing between the bevel and pinion right. Since you have shimless gears you may not need this.

• Advertisement

Is the pistol grip attached tightly? If it's loose or one of the screws isn't tight enough, that can cause the motor to not engage at the best angle.

I had heard that G&P gears can be weak but didn't think they would be that weak. I have got motors with more BBs through them and almost no wear on them.

Yep just checked all that and it's attached as tightly as possible. Hobby don't have a pinion tool but I'm gonna get them to look at it anyway and install a new shs piston just for good measure. I'll get them to make sure the pinion is making contact with the bevel correctly and theyre going to put a new pinion on as well......maybe one that's actually metal this time and not some kerrygold butter or whatever g&p use!!!!
    Thanks for the help lads :)

You can tell by the noise, if the motor height is too high you will hear a screaching noise, too low it just wont sound right, you will always know when it is right.

When your motor is inserted to the gearbox the pinion keeps the bevel pushed to one side, a few shims on the flat side we will call it of the bevel gear provided there is play with the gear, will make the meshing between the bevel and pinion right. Since you have shimless gears you may not need this.

See that's the thing.....I can't tell when it's right because it sound all the same as the gears are freely able to move up and down slightly if the pinion is inserted to far or not far enough.......drives me crazy!!
    For the first time I can safely say that I would much rather have to shim gears for 30 mins that use self shimming gears.....or maybe I'm just thick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

See that's the thing.....I can't tell when it's right because it sound all the same as the gears are freely able to move up and down slightly if the pinion is inserted to far or not far enough.......drives me crazy!!
    For the first time I can safely say that I would much rather have to shim gears for 30 mins that use self shimming gears.....or maybe I'm just thick :)

KWA's have shimless gears too, and if i adjust the motor height i can instantly tell by sound. Bloody horrible noise when it's wrong.

KWA's have shimless gears too, and if i adjust the motor height i can instantly tell by sound. Bloody horrible noise when it's wrong.

Really? My ones honestly sound exactly the same which is annoying.....I'm gonna bring it to hobby anyway just for a few more opinions.
    Thanks for all your help lads :)

Advertisement