Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be mad to quit a 50k year permanent job in Ireland to migrate to aus

Options
  • 09-06-2013 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I work in a lab as a qc analyst , I'm not sure what the salary in aus is like for this career , one thing I have in my favour is that I'm free and single with no dependants or mortgage ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you want to go though?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

If you want to, do it. The worst feeling is regret and thinking what could've been. I left Ireland for Canada over a year ago and can genuinely say it was the best decision I ever made.

Leave your current job on a good note, don't burn any bridges, and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

take some time for a holiday maybe see do you like it to or three weeks. you would be mad alright ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I was there last year and in going for another holiday this year , im just bored here on Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

i wouldnt blame you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 manciuria

You're never mad if you do what you believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

50k sounds a lot to most people ,but when all the taxes come out its not that exciting.Your only young once dude so i say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Any way you can take 3 months off? Go to Oz and try it? If you don't like it go back to your old job?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Any way you can take 3 months off? Go to Oz and try it? If you don't like it go back to your old job?

You mean like a teacher ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You mean like a teacher ?

Nah, he said he was a QC Analyst. Maybe come to some agreement with his employer to take some unpaid leave..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would try to figure out what I really want from my life, as happiness rules over money for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brighteyes13

Salary wise - It depends how experienced you are and what sector you work in, we hire QC analysts etc, working in the mining sector, so roughly salaries vary between $75k - $110k depending on your experience level, industry exposure and what city you live in. Google some agency salary guides for QC Analyst positions here in Aus and it will give you a approximate indicator of what you would expect money wise. If you are currently on 50k euro at home, i think you should probably look at positions which are approx $80 - $90k to maintain the same standard of living. Rent, food, transport - just living in general is alot more expensive over here!

People said I was mad to leave a permanent job at home - I came out here at the beginning of 2012 - while it hasnt worked out for me, I still saw the country and got international experience, so my CV now has that bit more depth in it. I say go for it, you have nothing tying you down, you will just live your life wondering 'what if' otherwise. While my personal experience hasnt all been positive, I am so glad I came and satisified my curiousity - if you network with the right people and dedicate time to finding a position over here, you should be ok for work. As you know from other threads here, things dont come easy over here....but then again most things in life dont :O) ...I say go for it, you wont regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

I have considered it myself, I'm on the upper side of 50k a year here and last year my company was offering a substantial voluntary severance package, with the years I have put in, 9 in total, I would have got 80k straight into the hand, enough to start me up abroad. I regretfully however decided to stay. I do have a comfortable standard of living here and a permanent pensionable job, I also have no mortgage but I do love my job and it is not the type of job I could walk straight into in another country. To be honest the only thing keeping me here now is my affection for the work I do, other than that I would have left this sinking ship a long time ago. Good luck in what ever you decide to do. I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

manciuria wrote: »
    You're never mad if you do what you believe...

What if you believe you're napoleon? Or a duck? What if you believe you're a beehive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

endacl wrote: »
    What if you believe you're napoleon? Or a duck? What if you believe you're a beehive?
    I think it was Henry Ford who said "if you think you're right, you're right. If you think you're wrong, you're right."

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Go for a holiday first before you make such a massive decision, I have family that hated it over there and glad to be back home, and i've other friends that love it. depends on the individual, Australia is not for everybody. I myself would never move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

think long and hard about this one. 50k is a lot of money at home. what visa are you considering?

what are your chances of getting a job, paying similar money, if you went home after, say 12-18 months here.

you have been here and have an idea of what the craic is like. the question is, can your skills/education can deliver the same lifestyle you are getting currently.

the australian economy has fared really well in the GFC but most forecasts say 2014 doesn't look too rosie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you're just bored in Ireland Australia might not be the solution. Australia has great weather but the cost of living can take some of the good out of it.

Advertisement