Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** OL Maths Paper 2 - Before/After **

• 09-06-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Some ****tard stole my papers a few days ago and haven't been able to get new ones and trying to go through the papers on Examinations.ie is frustrating to say the least. Any suggestions? And why does each year seem to have like three different tests?
    As for the test itself, anyone have any specifics to study, as in what definitions if any, what constructions etc?

If someone could give a broad outline/layout of the exam I'd be forever grateful because I really have no clue what's going on when it comes to the layout. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

TheStook wrote: »
    Some ****tard stole my papers a few days ago and haven't been able to get new ones and trying to go through the papers on Examinations.ie is frustrating to say the least. Any suggestions? And why does each year seem to have like three different tests?
    As for the test itself, anyone have any specifics to study, as in what definitions if any, what constructions etc?

If someone could give a broad outline/layout of the exam I'd be forever grateful because I really have no clue what's going on when it comes to the layout. Thanks in advance

Probability
    Geometry of the line
    Trigonometry
    The circle
    Area and volume
    Principles of counting and numbers

Not in order but on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BLiamB

TheStook wrote: »

I feel your pain, someone left the paper 1 early and took my papers with them, I had left my bag open.. Pretty pissed about it but nothing I can do now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 A Funky Unicorn

Pretty much the only definitions you need to know.

A theorem - is a rule that has been proved by following a certain number of logical steps or by using a previous theorem or axiom that you already know.

A proof - is a series of logical steps that we use to prove a theorem.

A corollary - is a statement that follows readily from a previous theorem.

The converse of a theorem - is the reverse of a theorem.
    It may not always be true.

Implies - is a term we use in a proof when we can write down a fact we have proved from our previous statements. The symbol for implies is a =>

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

paper 1 (to me) is a b1tch . paper 2 is my b1tch , probabley because i do DCG that helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

Could someone help me with these..
    What's shape of distribution, location of data and spread of data?
    And trig in general. Say if you know the hypotenuse and are looking for the adjacent do you use Cos? Or say if you know the adjacent and are looking for the opposite do you use the tan rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

Could someone help me with these..
    What's shape of distribution, location of data and spread of data?
    And trig in general. Say if you know the hypotenuse and are looking for the adjacent do you use Cos? Or say if you know the adjacent and are looking for the opposite do you use the tan rule?

Shape of distribution = skewed to the left/ right. Or if it's not skewed, the distribution is normal.
    Spread of data: one way of doing this is finding the range, i.e. the highest value - lowest value

For trig, in general if it is a right-angled triangle, try and use Pythagoras first to see if that will get you what you want hyp^2 = adj^2 + opp^2. Keep in mind Pythagoras is only good for finding length of unknown side in R.A.T.

If it is a R.A.T., and you have an angle/looking for an angle use the trig ratios [sin A = opp/hyp , cos A = adj/hyp and tan A = pop/adj] A is an angle, hyp is the longest side, opp is the side opposite angle you're working with and adj is the 3rd side

For non-right angled triangles, you're only options are to use the Sine Rule and Cosine Rule, both are given in your log tables

Sine Rule = a/sin A = b/sin B, where small letters are sides and capitals are angles.

Cosine rule = a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc CosA

The secret to using these two rules is labelling sides and angles correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dncl

Iv been told writing the formula out counts as an attempt for partial credit how true is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

Lads I'am clueless for Sin, Cos and Tan....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

Genuine question: what do I need to take with me tomorrow? Don't even have a maths set. woops...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Genuine question: what do I need to take with me tomorrow? Don't even have a maths set. woops...

Maths set calculator pencil pens ruler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    Maths set calculator pencil pens ruler

Thanks. And anything in particular I should learn in the morning? what's really vital to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

dncl wrote: »
    Iv been told writing the formula out counts as an attempt for partial credit how true is this?

not sure if this is true or not but I remember hearing if it's a formula not given in the log tables you get a few marks for writing down the formula....

chances are if you know the formula you would, at the very least, be able to put the numbers into the formula.. even if you weren't able to go any further, this would definitely get you some marks as its a correct step.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Thanks. And anything in particular I should learn in the morning? what's really vital to pass?

probability, stats, area and volume and co ordinate geometry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

dncl wrote: »

If it is not in the log book then yes you do get points for the formula and if you put numbers into the formula that is another step :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

any formulas we need that arent in the log tables? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Paper 2 really isn't where my strengths lie! Hope this goes good!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

Maths tables have all the coordinate geometry formulas?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

*fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Well that was ****in' easy...Did both the Q.6's

Nice year of maths all round so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Seems like I failed paper 2 as well. No idea where it went wrong to be honest :( Looks like all the grinds I did went to waste.

• Advertisement

N64 wrote: »
    Seems like I failed paper 2 as well. No idea where it went wrong to be honest :( Looks like all the grinds I did went to waste.

Ah you'll be grand - they're gonna be throwing marks at people this year, it'll be ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Found that so easy. Question 8 was lovely.

Aeternum wrote: »
    Found that so easy. Question 8 was lovely.

That part of Q8 with the point X, the midpoint between D and E or something...was X not just a radius of 30? I think I may have misread it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Didnt like that at all, hopefully I scraped a pass thanks to paper 1

I attempted everything, god help the poor examiner correcting mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

That part of Q8 with the point X, the midpoint between D and E or something...was X not just a radius of 30? I think I may have misread it

I considered x to be a point on a straight line from D to E. It worked out well for me that way anyway I thought it would be too simple if it was a radius of the circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mayoman1995

WAS EASY

Aeternum wrote: »
    I considered x to be a point on a straight line from D to E. It worked out well for me that way anyway I thought it would be too simple if it was a radius of the circle.

**** see I was thinking it was too easy to be 30, but they didn't specify a straight line...thought it was kind of poorly phrased tbh...but meh got every other question, was just a bit unsure of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

i put 30 as well, didnt see another way. paper wasnt that easy, questions were worded in a roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

All I'm hoping for is a D3.
    I think I did... okay, but I've thought that I've done well before in maths and outright failed. Hopefully I'm just more grounded these days, and it actually did go decently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Thought that was awful! I definitley passed it but doubt I did very well!

Advertisement