Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** OL Maths Paper 2 - Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Thought that was more difficult than paper one. Hope I got at least a C3 out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Garzard

Was alright, I guess... too many Geometry Q's though I think, and by blood was boiling when I saw no Simpson's / Trapezoid Rule or any of those simple perimeter or area Q's like in past papers. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

How did you lot find the distance from x to the point of intersection between |FD| in the Buoy question? Drove me mad!!

And Bureolli Rule?! Eh what

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

far to many Geometry questions and the same fu*king question goes on for like 2 pages, so if you dont understand the first part ya buggered for the rest. I was getting so annoyed, because i knew i could do it just couldnt get my head around it. walked out exam pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

How did you lot find the distance from x to the point of intersection between |FD| in the Buoy question? Drove me mad!!

I used tan30 was 15 over x and got 8.6 km or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Never heard of the rule in my life, but I do think its in the book, though most teachers wouldn't of teaches it I say :/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mayoman1995

Never heard of the rule in my life, but I do think its in the book, though most teachers wouldn't of teaches it I say :/

i got that it was when there is 2 outcomes win/lose situaTION

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Garzard

I got a bit mixed up for a while when I counted that list of Birth, Marriage and Death rates from 1990 to 2010 - because instead of 20 years, it was 21. It was an alright Q anyway. I think they need to fix those log tables as well. I hate the ones they give us. Having Irish on one side and English on the other really puts me off, it'd be handy as well for LC students if they simplified them a bit by getting rid of the atomic numbers and crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

Like every other maths exam I've done...disastrous, hoping for 40%

how were you expected to work out irelands population in 2010 with just the birth rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Jordan537 wrote: »
    how were you expected to work out irelands population in 2010 with just the birth rates?

Exactly! It was like asking what will the weather be like next week....how are we meant to work it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

I think I divided the no. of births by the birth rate, then multiplied it by 10000 (because it was births per 10000) ended up getting around 4 and a half million so I think it was right

It didn't say that though, it said something like "from using the data given in this question find the irelands population from 2010" whatever way it was worded it totally screwed it up. bizarre paper!

It didn't say that though, it said something like "from using the data given in this question find the irelands population from 2010" whatever way it was worded it totally screwed it up. bizarre paper!

It did, it gave the number of actual births, and the birth rate per 10000, so you were able to get the total population I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

It did, it gave the number of actual births, and the birth rate per 10000, so you were able to get the total population I think

That's how it was supposed to be done definitely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Well that went well....

NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

I think I divided the no. of births by the birth rate, then multiplied it by 10000 (because it was births per 10000) ended up getting around 4 and a half million so I think it was right

Good stuff! I ended up getting around 4 and a half miion aswel. Took a while for me to try of think of a way to go about it but got it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

I was taken a bit by surprise i was expecting 9 questions like the sample paper, for there to be two 50 mark questions like question seven and for question 8 to be the ninth question and to be only worth 45-50 marks like in the samples.Think it went well tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Did anyone finish their paper an hour early or is it just me?? I wrote an A4 page each for Story and letter..

RML wrote: »
    Did anyone finish their paper an hour early or is it just me?? I wrote an A4 page each for Story and letter..

A story in the maths exam? I'm sure the examiner will appreciate that :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

RML wrote: »

:eek: facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

My bad :P
    Wrong thread oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not amazing but say I passed overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Any one else use sine rule for the very last part of question 8 and get an answer of 8.66?

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Any one else use sine rule for the very last part of question 8 and get an answer of 8.66?

Yep, that's what I got as far as I can recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Good stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Aeternum wrote: »
    That's how it was supposed to be done definitely :)

for that q i just guess that automatically the population was already 4.5 million then added on the births for that year and took away the deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Aeternum wrote: »
    I used tan30 was 15 over x and got 8.6 km or something!

+1 on that , I just drew out the diagram of the only little triangle bit I needed and it was pretty obvious it was Tan once I did that :)

overall delighted with the paper! , papers infact , confident I'll get my B3 requirement now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

I used Tan because it was a right angle triangle but got the same answer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Did a construction type question come up?

Advertisement