Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** OL Maths Paper 2 - Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Did a construction type question come up?

yep u had to draw the triangle given, and then draw it again under axial symmetry

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AoifeAoife

Do you need to write the make of calculator on the paper?! I didn't D:

AoifeAoife wrote: »
    Do you need to write the make of calculator on the paper?! I didn't D:

i wouldnt think it would make any difference to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Did anyone managed to get the distance from the centre of the triangles to X on the buoy question? I don't know if it was time constraints or my mind going blank but I just couldn't do it.

Overall nice enough paper, especially the circle questions.

shootie wrote: »
    Did anyone managed to get the distance from the centre of the triangles to X on the buoy question? I don't know if it was tiredness or my mind going blank but I just couldn't do it.

Overall nice enough paper, especially the circle questions.

i basically drew triangles everywhere and found out loads of different lengths to get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ReemAddict

Yeah, I was the same. I was kind of confused when I was looking at the question but went over and read the chart and spotted the 10000, so I did it that was too and think I got something like that. :) Didn't get the Bernoulie's trial question or whatever it was. What happened to all the easy definitions like the fundamentals of counting, theorem and converse etc. :( Overall, probability was easy but the very last question caught me out trying to find the mid point. I didn't have enough time to think about it cos the examiner was shouting for the papers to be handed up. I thought the q6 a or b question was brilliant, the acute triangle was simple to make out hahaha. :) think I got a high B, well hopefully :)

What did you get for the cosine question? I got 30 I think? was this right?

ReemAddict wrote: »
    What did you get for the cosine question? I got 30 I think? was this right?

Yup, all sides of the triangle were 30.

Nice one and the radius was 15? Obviously yeah? :) For the circles, did you find both equations for c1 and c2 then solve them using simultaneous equation?

Nice one and the radius was 15? Obviously yeah? :) For the circles, did you find both equations for c1 and c2 then solve them using simultaneous equation?

Radius was 15 yes.

I'll have to look at the paper again but I can't remember ever doing a simultaneous equation. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

What ratios did people get for question 7 part (h)
    The birth rate compared to the death rate,think I got 1.6:1 for 1990 and 2.7:1 for 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

What ratios did people get for question 7 part (h)
    The birth rate compared to the death rate,think I got 1.6:1 for 1990 and 2.7:1 for 2010

+1 but it was 1.67

Yup simultaneous equations

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

lads, am i the only who didn't have a ****ing clue for most of the questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 patters

Im hoping i past that paper, allot of our class got abit of a shock from the difference in paper 1, anybody no how they will mark it this year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

how are they going to mark it, think i have passed, went better i felt than the mocks, got 49% in the mocks, simply looking to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

lads, am i the only who didn't have a ****ing clue for most of the questions?

Yup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

i guessed all sides of the triangle were 30! by measuring them with a ruler... have to say... a good guess :D

I guessed too, kinda obvious though :L

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LiamGGG

Yeah, I found that hard.

Just wondering, if anyone knows, What do they regard as an attempt? Like how much has to be written down for you to at least get the attempt marks?

• Advertisement

If you look up the Project Maths SEC exam marking scheme's they will give you an idea. Its different for every question really. If you make some sort of relevant attempt, like write down a formula then, filling in the write information into it correctly - That is considered a step, therefore you would get attempt marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Thought it was a lovely paper, much better than paper 1. Think I managed full marks so I should pass haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

found that paper much easier than the first one which i reckon i failed, hopefully i got enough marks in this one to bring me upto a pass standard.

I think I divided the no. of births by the birth rate, then multiplied it by 10000 (because it was births per 10000) ended up getting around 4 and a half million so I think it was right
    I did this, couldnt work out the next part though, was delighted to see 75 marks for the question only to be dismayed when i realised it had umpteen parts, answered most of them thugh.
    Jordan537 wrote: »
    i guessed all sides of the triangle were 30! by measuring them with a ruler... have to say... a good guess :D

also did this, and the same for the distance the helicopter flew and the point of X, no idea how right that may be but it was either that or leave the box blank, at least theres attempt marks this way.

Any answers for paper 2 online yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

patters wrote: »
    Im hoping i past that paper, allot of our class got abit of a shock from the difference in paper 1, anybody no how they will mark it this year :/

I heard the way they are going to mark it is that they will correct paper 1 first and see how many A1's A2s etc people got and then they are going to give out the same amount of A1s A2s B1s for paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5 quickdraw megaw

shawki wrote: »
    Any answers for paper 2 online yet?

http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectMaths/OL2013AnswersP2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5 quickdraw megaw

After seeing the answers to paper 1 and 2 I reckon I have in the region of 330 to 370 out of 600. Happy days, It looks like a C, walks like a C, and talks like a C. I was expecting A D1:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

That just proves that it didn't go aswell for me as paper 1,,,could be saying goodbye to that A :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I heard the way they are going to mark it is that they will correct paper 1 first and see how many A1's A2s etc people got and then they are going to give out the same amount of A1s A2s B1s for paper 2
    I don't mean to be rude, Jenny, but please don't believe any of the many "Oh, they'll do this and that and t'other ..." rumours that go round every year at this time of year!

They're all based on speculation as the Marking Conferences haven't even happened yet ... and even when they do, those attending them won't be making statements about decisions reached there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

think paper 2 might have gone a bit better than expected, really think i might have passed this exam

Advertisement